Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Abs training - what works vs what doesn't work

Default Abs training - what works vs what doesn't work

In light of a recent what works vs what doesn't work thread for calves here on No Bull, I would just like to start a similar thread for abs and hear about you guys' thoughts on abs training. Some people say it should always be done in a circuit manner, some say you shouldn't do weighted exercises, some say you don't need to train for abs - you just need low body fat etc. From past experience, what exercise/scheme/philosophy has worked best for you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Definitely, refraining from training them lest you are going to get a wider waist or lose symmetry is untrue for the majority of people who are not pro bbers. What works (in my opinion) the best, is training them both with weighted sessions and bodyweight ones, but in the end results are visible only if you have a proper diet. Squats, deadlifts, pull-ups should not be underestimated as to core training, that's why some bbers avoid direct exercises.
    In addition, abs can be developed both from peak contractions and isometric exercises.

Agreed. Like calves theyre heavily based on genetics. Do both weighted and bodyweight, circuits/drop sets/forced reps like any other body part

Being low bodyfat is number 1, having a base of muscle at all on your body is number 2. For strength in the core, leg raises, weighted sit ups, standing abs crunches, etc..
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

Lots of perfect form leg raises...I never do abs weighted, just very controled...for example I first do a harder exercise to pre exhaust and then do an easier one to smash it...I also go to failure on each accept first set...I train abs twice a week as they recover rather quick...just like anything else give it time and see what works...

Quote Originally Posted by cougs0701 View Post
    Agreed. Like calves theyre heavily based on genetics. Do both weighted and bodyweight, circuits/drop sets/forced reps like any other body part

I agree - very genetic.

I've been 25% BF and way out of shape... and could still see my abs. They're like big building blocks under my skin - yet I never train them. I got them year ago, and they've never seemed to have gone away. lol

Spotter

Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post
    Being low bodyfat is number 1, having a base of muscle at all on your body is number 2. For strength in the core, leg raises, weighted sit ups, standing abs crunches, etc..
    Agree completely. It's not so much what you do to train them as long as the muscles from all of the areas of the abdominal get some stimulation. It's all about low body fat after that. A lot of guys don't even have to train abs directly.

I just punch myself in the gut VERY hard.

I don't train abs...
    So... low BMI works best.
    All I need to do is be me , if you like me great if you don't then move along cause I don't have time for nonsense..... Lil Mama