Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reality show snake-handling preacher dies -- of snakebite

Default Reality show snake-handling preacher dies -- of snakebite

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/16/us/sna...n-pastor-bite/

Reality show snake-handling preacher dies -- of snakebite
    By Ashley Fantz, CNN
    updated 6:14 AM EST, Mon February 17, 2014

(CNN) -- A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snakebite.
    Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middleborough police said.
    On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. The practice is illegal in most states, but still goes on, primarily in the rural South.

Coots was a third-generation "serpent handler" and aspired to one day pass the practice and his church, Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name, on to his adult son, Little Cody.

Pastor dances with venomous snakes

The National Geographic show featured Coots and cast handling all kinds of poisonous snakes -- copperheads, rattlers, cottonmouths. The channel's website shows a picture of Coots, goateed, wearing a fedora. "Even after losing half of his finger to a snake bite and seeing others die from bites during services," Coots "still believes he must take up serpents and follow the Holiness faith," the website says.
    On Sunday, National Geographic Channels spokeswoman Stephanie Montgomery sent CNN this statement: "In following Pastor Coots for our series Snake Salvation, we were constantly struck by his devout religious convictions despite the health and legal peril he often faced.

"Those risks were always worth it to him and his congregants as a means to demonstrate their unwavering faith. We were honored to be allowed such unique access to Pastor Jamie and his congregation during the course of our show, and give context to his method of worship. Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time."
    In February 2013, Coots was given one year of probation for crossing into Tennessee with venomous snakes. He was previously arrested in 2008 for keeping 74 snakes in his home, according to National Geographic. Tennessee banned snake handling in 1947 after five people were bitten in churches over two years' time, the channel says on the show site.

On one episode, Coots, who collected snakes, is shown trying to wrest a Western diamondback out of its nook under a rock deep in East Texas. He's wearing a cowboy hat and a T-shirt that says "The answer to Y2K - JESUS."
    The pastor is helped by his son and a couple of church members.
    "He'll give up, just sooner or later," one of the members says. "Just be careful. Ease him out."
    The group bags two snakes, which a disappointed Coots says hardly justifies the trip to Texas.
    "Catching two snakes the first day, 'course we'd hoped for more," Coots says in the video. "We knew that the next day we was gonna have to try to hunt harder and hope for more snakes."

PrunaGrow.com
    The only Myostatin inhibiting geriatric Follistatin peptides that I trust 100%!!!
    Promo Code: Oldfartrep#1

Muscular Development Forum Rules

Let me guess... Them folks be from down south...

should start my own religion up here... Polar bear "handling"

Hey Rocky, any verse in the bible that somehow, vaguely, kinda says to wrestle polar bears in the name of god??? What's that? There were no polar bears in Jesus's time? OK, gotta be a verse that predicts somewhere in the futur polar bears will exist and to prove one's faith, you must wrestle the bear in the name of god once a week for 12 minutes. And no, you can't wear a helmet...

Do it, or you'll go to hell.

^LOL
    "Feel ill as fuck - not sure if it is protein powder or tren?"-bigdog123

He didn't have enough faith!

nowhere in the Bible God says to handle snakes to show off...matter of fact, God never said to do anything to show-off... Did you gyys even read that verse? Of course not, because your anti-christian agenda is clouding your judgement
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Yeah I don't know why these kinds of groups start up....there's plenty of them
    This is a language up with I cannot put.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiry Pyruvity View Post
    Yeah I don't know why these kinds of groups start up....there's plenty of them
    still waiting for these anti-christians to copy and paste exactly where in the Bible God asks us to grab snakes and make a tv show out of the whole thing...
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    nowhere in the Bible God says to handle snakes to show off...matter of fact, God never said to do anything to show-off... Did you gyys even read that verse? Of course not, because your anti-christian agenda is clouding your judgement
    Whoa man... Never said I was anti christian, c'mon! I'm very neutral on the topic. Neither groups anti or pro bother me really. Nothing clouding my judgement besides my high thc blood content perhaps? Oh yeah, haven't smoked yet, it's only 11:49, sot it's not that...

I saw a show on it once. I felt sorry for the lady married to the snake handling man. He's lock her in a dark shed full of snakes in various aquariums and if she wouldn't stick her hand in the cage with dangerous snakes, he had something worse for her in store. Yup, totally acting in the words of god here...

why can't they do something safer, like fluffy bunny handeling? Everyone gets to pet the cute rabbits going home heart filled of joy and kindness!

Quote Originally Posted by ritch View Post
    Whoa man... Never said I was anti christian, c'mon! I'm very neutral on the topic. Neither groups anti or pro bother me really. Nothing clouding my judgement besides my high thc blood content perhaps? Oh yeah, haven't smoked yet, it's only 11:49, sot it's not that... I saw a show on it once. I felt sorry for the lady married to the snake handling man. He's lock her in a dark shed full of snakes in various aquariums and if she wouldn't stick her hand in the cage with dangerous snakes, he had something worse for her in store. Yup, totally acting in the words of god here...why can't they do something safer, like fluffy bunny handeling? Everyone gets to pet the cute rabbits going home heart filled of joy and kindness!
    Like I said, when people try to make the Bible do or say what they want or what is convenient to them, that is when they get in trouble...In this case this preacher tried to manipulate the word of God for none other than a tv show and make it spectacular...i am not surprised he is gone
    JESUS THE CHRIST

still waiting for these anti-christians to copy and paste exactly where in the Bible God asks us to grab snakes and make a tv show out of the whole thing...
    Maybe they are looking at the record where Paul survives the viper bite.

I think it is based on Mark 16:18 and has to do with taking the bible literally.
    Speakers in tongues point towards Mark 16:17 as well to validate what they do.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...18&version=KJV

Mark 16:17-18

King James Version (KJV)

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I came across this....

Coots said in February 2013 that he needed the snakes for religious reasons, citing a Bible passage in the book of Mark that reads, in part: "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

The pastor said that year that he took that passage at face value.
    "We literally believe they want us to take up snakes," Coots told The Associated Press at the time. "We've been serpent handling for the past 20 or 21 years."

PrunaGrow.com
    The only Myostatin inhibiting geriatric Follistatin peptides that I trust 100%!!!
    Promo Code: Oldfartrep#1

Muscular Development Forum Rules

Exactly what you said, Paul "survived" the snake bite, he didnt gather around a crowd, charged for entrance, and shouted "Behold! i can get bitten by a snake and not be harmed!".
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by Bowden View Post
    I think it is based on Mark 16:18 and has to do with taking the bible literally.Speakers in tongues point towards Mark 16:17 as well to validate what they do.http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...18&version=KJVMark 16:17-18King James Version (KJV) 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.I came across this....Coots said in February 2013 that he needed the snakes for religious reasons, citing a Bible passage in the book of Mark that reads, in part: "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." The pastor said that year that he took that passage at face value. "We literally believe they want us to take up snakes," Coots told The Associated Press at the time. "We've been serpent handling for the past 20 or 21 years."
    and what we have learned? that being a preacher doesnt mean you know God, or that are even a true believer whose life is aligned with His will. Jesus ofentime spoke through paraboles, taking up serpents means being able to handle whatever the devil throws our way, the snake represents evil on earth
    JESUS THE CHRIST

and what we have learned? that being a preacher doesnt mean you know God, or that are even a true believer whose life is aligned with His will. Jesus ofentime spoke through paraboles, taking up serpents means being able to handle whatever the devil throws our way, the snake represents evil on earth
    so you say not to interprete stuff to our own meaning from the bible, yet you do it here?

I think he is saying that there are some categories of scripture that can be taken at face value, while others are allegorical...

Quote Originally Posted by ritch View Post
    so you say not to interprete stuff to our own meaning from the bible, yet you do it here?
    i dont, read the bible with your spiritual eyes. for example, when Jesus goes on and on about sowing seeds and reaping a harvest, do you think he is trying to say that we should all become farmers?
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast