Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question about calorie intake

Default Question about calorie intake

Ok, I have lifted on and off for years but never got serious about it until recently.

Over the years I have heard that you need to eat more calories than you burn to build muscle. I have also seen that surplus amount vary greatly from 500 a day and up.

I now use Fitness Pal to track exactly how many calories I take in and along with macros. It also tracks how many calories burned for exercise.

Here is my question (fake numbers used to make it easier)

If my baseline daily calorie amount is 2500, and I lift and burn let's say 500 calories. I would need 3000 to make up the difference of what I burned through lifting and to meet my daily requirements. Is that 500 surplus I ate to cover the exercising all I need, or do I need an ADDITIONAL 500 calories and need to eat 3500 calories a day?

Thoughts?

PS: Based on natural training without chemical assistance.

No one has any thoughts or advice on this?

Pro-Primal

Howdy. There is no set formula of caloric intake to make this a super easy equation.

This may sound off color but it is a very simplistic gauge. If your recuperation and nutrition is on target your nether region will be good to go. If you under eat, overtrain or cut too much healthy fat your little buddy will let you know.

If you are naturally leaner you'll have an easier go of it as you won't be in the dilemma of gaining and losing simultaneously.

When I simply drank egg whites in addition to what I was already doing I always made good gains - but that is not a great thing to continue for long term!

Bring question to Politics and Religion and you'll get more help. If the mods move it so be it but at least in the interim you'll have some answers or personal offers of assistance from some knowledgeable folks.

Cheers.

Yeah I've never been on this board. What kind of body type do you have first? What kind of supplements/drugs do you take if any? How tall are you, and how much do you weigh? Me myself, I never went too scientific in the offseason, but I have worked with a nutrition guy that turned out some pro's. I also have managed a few Gold's gyms and another hardcore gym when I was trying to turn pro.

Are you eating six meals? How clean are you eating also?

yes Punisher, you gotta tell us a little more about your particular metabolism first
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by lou0178 View Post
    Yeah I've never been on this board. What kind of body type do you have first? What kind of supplements/drugs do you take if any? How tall are you, and how much do you weigh? Me myself, I never went too scientific in the offseason, but I have worked with a nutrition guy that turned out some pro's. I also have managed a few Gold's gyms and another hardcore gym when I was trying to turn pro.
    I would be classified as "mesomorph", medium bone structure for thickness. Broad shoulders and narrow hips. Just a shade under 6 foot, and weight 185 lbs.
    Supplements I take are protein power after workout in the morning and just before bed. Both with a scoop of creatine
    NO Explode for preworkout
    fish oil, and multi vitamin also. No drugs

I usually can gain weight and lose weight easily. My goal is to not put on too much extra bodyfat. I eat every couple hours and 3 big meals a day. I get in at least 200g of protein a day. I eat fairly clean and stick to mainly veggies/fruits/nuts for my carbs. I do have cheat meals about twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher73 View Post
    I would be classified as "mesomorph", medium bone structure for thickness. Broad shoulders and narrow hips. Just a shade under 6 foot, and weight 185 lbs.
    Supplements I take are protein power after workout in the morning and just before bed. Both with a scoop of creatine
    NO Explode for preworkout
    fish oil, and multi vitamin also. No drugs

I usually can gain weight and lose weight easily. My goal is to not put on too much extra bodyfat. I eat every couple hours and 3 big meals a day. I get in at least 200g of protein a day. I eat fairly clean and stick to mainly veggies/fruits/nuts for my carbs. I do have cheat meals about twice a week.
    Sounds good, I would throw in the extra 1000 calories, and if you start adding too much fat, just back it off. It's not too complicated. You could eat most of your extra calories after training also. I always used to split all six meals equally, but now people like to throw in extra carbs after training.

Thanks, that matches some other advice I got after I posted this question. It also said to just add calories and if you start gaining too much fat back it off and if you aren't gaining anything slowly start to add in calories.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Thanks, that matches some other advice I got after I posted this question. It also said to just add calories and if you start gaining too much fat back it off and if you aren't gaining anything slowly start to add in calories.Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    are all your daily calories all coming from clean unrefined food? do you do any sort of refeed every week?
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Thanks, that matches some other advice I got after I posted this question. It also said to just add calories and if you start gaining too much fat back it off and if you aren't gaining anything slowly start to add in calories.
    That's pretty much the advice I would give as well. The reason is that while our bodies follow some basic laws, there are variances in how we process things. This is why someone can eat forever and still be stick thin while others look at a doughnut and gain 50lbs. In other words, while your calories do absolutely make a difference and you should pay attention to them, without knowing the exact specific variations in your genetics no one can tell you exactly what to do. It will be a trial and error period for you.
    Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?