Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: 2014 New Zealand Pro / Am Play By Play

Quote Originally Posted by trickdiesel View Post
    Musclepapa- you don t seem to be getting it. We are talking about pro athletes (not athletes that do this for a hobby) and like any other sport it should be about the money. As the old saying goes if it don't make dollars it don't make since. I see an argument for guys never doing the Olympia to try more shows and get some points., to get the opportunity to be on that stage atleast once. But not over seas for a chance to win 1 or 2 grand) because in reality they would probably need to do aleast 3 shows to get enough points which is more expenses. And if the qualify they have to pay their own way to the Olympia because only the winners get a free trip. Where in your mind is all this funding coming from especially if athletess have no sponsors and have families to provide for??? But after that one time it again now goes back to money. I have competed in the Olympia 6 times and been rewarded $1000 for my efforts. Not quite as much glamour for those athletes anymore as it was the first you make the trip.
    6 olympias and a total net of $1000?
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    6 olympias and a total net of $1000?
    Lol- Yea I am still scratching my head as well. Don't get me wrong Robin Chang has done a great job of increasing the purse for the 212 division at the Olympia- its just unfortunate that the same guys are pretty much getting rewarded. I think until we divide the purse up amongst the top 10 in our division we will see less 212 guys trying to qualify unfortunately. I also think t would be a Big push if the guys that normally are in that elite group jump aboard with this idea. But only time will tell.

Lol- Yea I am still scratching my head as well. Don't get me wrong Robin Chang has done a great job of increasing the purse for the 212 division at the Olympia- its just unfortunate that the same guys are pretty much getting rewarded. I think until we divide the purse up amongst the top 10 in our division we will see less 212 guys trying to qualify unfortunately. I also think t would be a Big push if the guys that normally are in that elite group jump aboard with this idea. But only time will tell.

I completely agree that the 212 division is underpaid as are a lot of the women divisions. The mens open makes the bulk of the cash payouts.

That said its a business. As a pro athlete in Bodybuilding you cant compare yourself to a pro athlete in another sport. Bodybuilding is a small niche and low profit sport compared to every professional sport. There is very limited money to be made and even at the top sometimes that window is short. Lots of the good pro's are sponsored athletes making a living from companies outside of winning show money, obviously the show money helps. Therefore they are able to travel a few times and not pay out of pocket.

You've been around this game for a very long time and done ok, but i'd hardly say you are comparable to the top guys in the sport. Regardless of that, you got into bodybuilding KNOWING its not really all that profitable for someone to make a living on. Very select few do very well, the others struggle or make ends meet.

At the end of the day you've known how its been and decided to continue with it. Personal choice... You have to live with the fact you are not a top 5 212 athlete and therefore will not get the bigger benefits of the small market. The choice was your's to continue with the pro life, or all these years possible make a way out of the sport and have a backup plan of making a living.

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Musclepapa- you don t seem to be getting it. We are talking about pro athletes (not athletes that do this for a hobby) and like any other sport it should be about the money. As the old saying goes if it don't make dollars it don't make since. I see an argument for guys never doing the Olympia to try more shows and get some points., to get the opportunity to be on that stage atleast once. But not over seas for a chance to win 1 or 2 grand) because in reality they would probably need to do aleast 3 shows to get enough points which is more expenses. And if the qualify they have to pay their own way to the Olympia because only the winners get a free trip. Where in your mind is all this funding coming from especially if athletess have no sponsors and have families to provide for??? But after that one time it again now goes back to money. I have competed in the Olympia 6 times and been rewarded $1000 for my efforts. Not quite as much glamour for those athletes anymore as it was the first you make the trip.
    NO SHIT????????????????????????????

IMO, and maybe im biased, but bbers deserve the most money! The 212 and Open! Id also put the Fitness girls up there b/c they bust ass just as hard as bbers!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

What a Shame!

Freak of Nature

Point taken, and that said Tricky regardless of how much money a pro athlete earns in prize money many continue to make a living associated with pro status appearances encouraged by sponsors, underwritten often by them and as Jose stated in the prep video the day before the contest this sort of thing is how he expands his fan base and awareness beyond his backyard. Appearing on the Olympia stage has significant financial value I'd think regardless of placing and/or prize money. You've had a stellar pro career and have expanded your brand into a diverse enterprise as trainer and promoter. Surely this is the party-line to some extent, but seems to hold some valid truth. Amateur athletes that compete at NPC shows many of which have been competing for decades similarly find worth in competing beyond direct compensation. How many of them have competed and missed pro status by a point or two time and time again, but continue to compete bringing as good or better conditioning as some lower level pros? At any rate the Arnold Australia might draw more athletes based on shear prize money and Moe plans to add numerous divisions next year to provide further opportunities for those wishing to compete in not only Australia but New Zealand. Terrific countries and contests for those wanting to compete. And for the record I'd say the same to amateurs making excuses for not wanting to compete in your show.

Freak of Nature

Quote Originally Posted by MusclepapaJohn View Post
    Air safety messaged played on Air New Zealand on way over from Australia with the Sports Illustrated Calendar models. Nice, I actually paid attention, but think the stewardess on the plane was not amused. :0
    Love this commercial.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920