Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Agnostic quotes thread

“If God existed (a question concerning which Jubal maintained a meticulous intellectual neutrality) and if He desired to be worshiped (a proposition which Jubal found inherently improbable but conceivably possible in the dim light of his own ignorance), then (stipulating affirmatively both the above) it nevertheless seemed wildly unlikely to Jubal to the point of reductio ad absurdum that a God potent to shape galaxies would be titillated and swayed by the whoop-te-do nonsense the Fosterites offered Him as "worship.”
    Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
    Check out my redesigned video samples page!
    http://mikepulcinella.com/portfolio.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mike pulcinella View Post
    “If God existed (a question concerning which Jubal maintained a meticulous intellectual neutrality) and if He desired to be worshiped (a proposition which Jubal found inherently improbable but conceivably possible in the dim light of his own ignorance), then (stipulating affirmatively both the above) it nevertheless seemed wildly unlikely to Jubal to the point of reductio ad absurdum that a God potent to shape galaxies would be titillated and swayed by the whoop-te-do nonsense the Fosterites offered Him as "worship.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
    what are these whoop-te-do nonsense the Fosterites offered Him as "worship” you are referring to??
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    what are these whoop-te-do nonsense the Fosterites offered Him as "worship” you are referring to??
    Do you have an agnostic quote to post? If not, please refrain from posting in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcruncher View Post
    That's what we said about the, "for believers only," until Lou, GFR, and the boys' hijacked it. I guess when you're not willing to stand up against your own, you pay the price.

There's not a damn thing you can do about it without the mods taking equal action against the skeptics that hijacked our thread, "for Believers only."

These are the same pics GFR posted in our thread.

2nd Bold: I'm not. Neither are you since you don't have the character to confront another skeptic when they do the same thing.
    Satan loves you.

I min/max my physique

Quote Originally Posted by lou0178 View Post
    Satan loves you.
    duh?! He' my co-pilot.
    "I'm tired of always being right. It gives me an unfair advantage when I debate Alemannic German speaking trolls."

“Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”
    Carl Sagan

“The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by mfcruncher View Post
    duh?! He' my co-pilot.

~ The Best of Twitter & Tumblr

Forum Leader: Politics & Religion The Celt's Avatar
    “War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell

I call myself agnostic because I refuse to pretend that something which is intrinsically unknowable is knowable and I will not redefine words like "Truth" to mean what I want them to mean.

Mike Pulcinella

Quote Originally Posted by lou0178 View Post
    “Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”
    Carl Sagan
    Brilliant.

“Suns are extinguished or become corrupted, planets perish and scatter across the wastes of the sky; other suns are kindled, new planets formed to make their revolutions or describe new orbits, and man, an infinitely minute part of a globe which itself is only an imperceptible point in the immense whole, believes that the universe is made for himself.”
    ― Paul-Henri Thiry, Baron d'Holbach, author, philosopher, and freethinker in "The System of Nature" 1770

Carl Sagan's warning of charlatans rings true today more than ever.

"I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortured a pagan, a heretic, or an unbeliever."

--Daniel Boorstin

The universe is far too vast and complex for us to comprehend. That has always seemed to me the weakest argument for God. It is really only an argument for the limitations of the human mind.

Damn right we can't comprehend it! We are not smart enough. None of us. That's why for me the only honest position to take is agnosticism. To think otherwise is to add egotism to ignorance.

- Mike Pulcinella

I have no problem at all accepting that there are questions which can never be answered. That does not frighten me. It just seems like the natural state of being a small, soft organism in a large, harsh universe.

Mike Pulcinella

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast