Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mentzer: The Untold Story of the Journey to his Final Days

Default Mike Mentzer: The Untold Story of the Journey to his Final Days

One of my first workouts was of Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty System from the pages of Muscle&Fitness..
    IFBB PRO- ​Darkwire.. from ICELAND..lmaooo

A sad story, demonstrates how incredibly intelligent people can nonetheless allow themselves to spiral into madness. The two often seem allied.

mentzer < Arnold
    DlewBolsenviciousVSILBB23RMBvillanEvanCentopaniAri esGeorgeForemanRules

that is a sad and crazy story all n one shot, man! i see that those 2 brothers were really close and themnsome. sad, one goes 1st and then the other 48hrs later, just sad

this show how close twins can be to eachother, even of they live n the same house together or apart from eachother n dif states. they still act as one, weird yet so true.
    MY KING OF KINGS

When Mike Mentzer died, it felt to me like a member of my family died.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    When Mike Mentzer died, it felt to me like a member of my family died.
    Y, u say that for, and i just askin' not tryin' to be dumb, ok.
    MY KING OF KINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrifice Without Regrets View Post
    mentzer < Arnold
    To be fair, everything and everyone < Arnold.
    In the sea of heavy metal, you are plankton.

wow thats a depressing story...had no idea they died within 48 hours of each other.

I simply find it hilarious how Mentzer played the victim in 1980 Mr. Olympia and onward.

He is nothing special and he gets too full of himself and his training philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Womanthrower View Post
    To be fair, everything and everyone < Arnold.
    DlewBolsenviciousVSILBB23RMBvillanEvanCentopaniAri esGeorgeForemanRules

nice article

Outstanding article as always Peter McGough

Good article Peter, but this is outstanding:

http://www.mikementzer.com/little0606.html

Nutcase. No wonder the guys behind "workout" shut it down with a full blown drug addict staying up for three days running the show. That Mentzer in subsequent sober condition could not understand the reason for this and a couple of other fairly simple things, is simply sad. Peter's article does not say it right out, but as I have understood it the drug use at the end was extreme. Further, the guy chain smoked 60 sigs a day and this just had to end in the toilet. While the article neither says right out how Ray Mentzer had damaged/failed kidneys, we all know why. These two guys were nuts and that is the short version of it, unfortunately. It is just another example of morons in the sport who died early. Probably better to focus on the guys who are still alive and have done something with their lives besides solely focusing on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Norwegian View Post
    Nutcase. No wonder the guys behind "workout" shut it down with a full blown drug addict staying up for three days running the show. That Mentzer in subsequent sober condition could not understand the reason for this and a couple of other fairly simple things, is simply sad. Peter's article does not say it right out, but as I have understood it the drug use at the end was extreme. Further, the guy chain smoked 60 sigs a day and this just had to end in the toilet. While the article neither says right out how Ray Mentzer had damaged/failed kidneys, we all know why. These two guys were nuts and that is the short version of it, unfortunately. It is just another example of morons in the sport who died early. Probably better to focus on the guys who are still alive and have done something with their lives besides solely focusing on themselves.
    Respect your views as always, but maybe next week's follow up will prompt some other thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by dave415 View Post
    One of my first workouts was of Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty System from the pages of Muscle&Fitness..
    I was ready to quit bodybuilding in 1984 after a few years of competing. I read some old articles on Mentzer's training ideals. As a last resort I tried his 4 day a week, brief, intense Heavy Duty training. Within 18 mos I won my 1st overall title on just 4 hrs per week of training in the gym. It's sad that a smart man like Mike allowed speed drugs to ruin his life. I'll always be grateful for his Heavy Duty workouts and inspiration he provide me and many others in bodybuilding.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    Respect your views as always, but maybe next week's follow up will prompt some other thoughts.
    Don't get me wrong Peter. The article and the writing is brilliant as always from a journalistic point of view. It is more that it makes me truly sad when I super talented guy pisses everything away. I followed Mentzer from he won Mr Universe in Acapulco in 1978, he was great and could have been Mr O. Instead he one year after was hooked on speed, and a couple of years later he was a bum and in the nuthouse. Came out, started using again, it's just an entire mess. I will check out next week's follow up, however. Always look forward to your stories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast