Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q&A for Peter and Ron Harris

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Default Q&A for Peter and Ron Harris

You guys have been around the sport for decades and have seen a lot that most casual fans havent. So, here are a few questions for you both

1.) Who was the most impressive bber you have seen?

2.) A lot of fans think bbing was better in the 90s/early 2000s, would you agree?

3.) Did Tony Perason and Lou Ferrigno have calf implants?

4.) Can anything be done to save womens bbing?

5.) Can you ever see a bber havinig the longevity of Albert Beckles and compete SUCCESSFULLY into their late 50s/early 60s?

6.) Peter--do you think putting Richard Jones on the cover of Flex with the title "Future Mr. Olympia" put a lot of pressure on him that he just couldnt live up to?

7.) Do either of you think anyone can beat Heath anytime soon?

8.) Can either of you explain HOW Shawn Ray and Laura Creavalle LOST the 94 Mr. and Ms. Olympia?

Thanks
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

How come guys today dont have much detail, cuts, straitions in their chest anymore?
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    You guys have been around the sport for decades and have seen a lot that most casual fans havent. So, here are a few questions for you both

1.) Who was the most impressive bber you have seen? Victor Richards

2.) A lot of fans think bbing was better in the 90s/early 2000s, would you agree?Yes

3.) Did Tony Perason and Lou Ferrigno have calf implants? Yes

4.) Can anything be done to save womens bbing? No

5.) Can you ever see a bber havinig the longevity of Albert Beckles and compete SUCCESSFULLY into their late 50s/early 60s? No

6.) Peter--do you think putting Richard Jones on the cover of Flex with the title "Future Mr. Olympia" put a lot of pressure on him that he just couldnt live up to? Yes

7.) Do either of you think anyone can beat Heath anytime soon? No

8.) Can either of you explain HOW Shawn Ray and Laura Creavalle LOST the 94 Mr. and Ms. Olympia? No

Thanks
    I'm not Peter/Ron But I took a stab at it anyways!

Shawn should have easily won 94 and why BBing is pretty much a joke because the best man doesnt always win which sucks when you sacrifice what these guys do only to get robbed by politics

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL ARVILLA View Post
    I'm not Peter/Ron But I took a stab at it anyways!
    No...but you are just as famous!!!!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    Shawn should have easily won 94 and why BBing is pretty much a joke because the best man doesnt always win which sucks when you sacrifice what these guys do only to get robbed by politics
    If you listen REAL carefully, you can hear me on the video during Levrones routine
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    If you listen REAL carefully, you can hear me on the video during Levrones routine
    For real? What did you yell?

Good questions

Another one for peter , what were your views when stu core came out as one of the biggest juniors? Did you see pro potential in him or?

Quote Originally Posted by SAMbennett23 View Post
    Another one for peter , what were your views when stu core came out as one of the biggest juniors? Did you see pro potential in him or?
    Sam I met him when he came out to California in 1999 I think. He was still a Junior. I honestly though he was a future top six in the Olympia or even higher. I see he's competing again these days.

Mike, they should rename you inquisitivebigmikecox.

1.) Who was the most impressive bber you have seen?

I have four outstanding memories of four physiques who blew my mind on a particular day.

a) Sergio Oliva at the 1971 NABBA Mr. Universe in London. I had seen him in the mags but wasnt ready for all that muscle hanging everywhere, accentuated by his small joints.

b) A sock wearing Dorian Yates in those shots taken seven weeks before the 1993 Olympia. I was there and his physique that day remains the best, most powerful, Ive ever seen. More powerful than on the day of the Olympia.

c) A sliced and diced 245 pound Ronnie Coleman winning the 2001 Arnold Classic.

d) Phil Heath when he first walked out at the 2011 Olympia. It was electric, like looking at a walking 3-D photoshop.

2.) A lot of fans think bbing was better in the 90s/early 2000s, would you agree?

Yes. The answer is a long one I could write a book about it. I think we had a spate of bodybuilders come through who were all different and had strong and definable personalities who on the whole showed up in better condition, in depth, that any other era (Dorian, Kevin, Shawn, Flex, Nasser, Paul Dillett, Porter Cottrell, Chris Cormier, Samir, Mike Quinn, Berry DeMey, Sonny Schmidt, Milos, Vince Taylor, Aaron Baker, Lee Priest, Francois, Charlie Clairmonte, DeMayo, Ian Harrison, Don Long, Tom Prince, Fux, Mike Matarazzo. And then late in the 90s came Ronnie, Cutler, Ruhl, Dexter, Dennia James, Bob Chick okay, Ill stop there. But I think another factor is, especially in the 90s, most of the info, news, photos came from the magazines Internet was not really developed. So we all had a collective experience of picking up the mags at the same time to see the latest sensation. Now everything is instant and we all catch up at a different pace. Take Big Ramy at last years NY Pro. He was an instant sensation and everyone saw shots of him minutes after he appeared, and by Wednesday he was old news really. If he had come on the scene in the 90s, word of mouth would have traveled through the gym network that a new superstar had arrived. But nobody (apart from those in the audience) would have seen him until the mags came out six weeks later. Contest reports are no longer run in most b/b mags. In the 90s and early 2000s we would all do 40 page Olympia reports (and follow-ons in the next issue) where readers would see the physiques for the first time, complete with blow-by-blow reports, behind the scenes stuff, backstories, a total encapsulation of the event in one sitting. Now fans tend to see the Saturday webcast and the play-by-plays and galleries and by Sunday think theyve seen all they need to know about the contest. But there really is a lot more that could be reported in print, but would anyone want to read about the 2014 Olympia six weeks after it was staged?

3.) Did Tony Perason and Lou Ferrigno have calf implants?
    Yes. Tony actually had his removed after a short time.

GUYS IM ON A DEADLINE, ILL GET BACK TO THE REST OF THE QUESTIONS, PROBABLY LATER TODAY.

Good stuff Peter! I waited 20+ years to pick your brain!!! thanks again!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

all the way up till 2012 or so i would look forward to the olympia reports. they pretty much just stopped coming last year which bums me out
    instagram: fit4payne_benthebuilder

Will do my assignment later!
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Will do my assignment later!
    LOL 1000 word essay please!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

excellent thread Mike!

Peter/Ron, thanks for participating.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Peter and Ron could write a book on all the stuff they have seen in this sport.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast