Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Haney vs Dorian Yates - The Greatest Rivalry that Never Was! By Peter McGough

Default Lee Haney vs Dorian Yates - The Greatest Rivalry that Never Was! By Peter McGough

Very Interesting Article! Well done as well!
    For Haney to be competitive with a 1993 Yates he would
    have needed to weigh 258 instead of 248.
    A lot of that added weight would need to be added to his legs
    and he would have needed to be more refined in the back poses,
    mainly from the waist down. (Glutes and Hams)
    It would have been cool to see but I think Haney took his physique
    where he wanted too and to compete with Yates in 93 may have taken
    his physique beyond a place he wanted to go.
    Haney was an evolution from the 70's and Yates was an evolution from the 80's.
    I find this guest posing video of Haney to be quite impressive. He looks quite grainy
    in his MM poses and I always wondered what he weighed here. He's in great shape for
    a guest posing.
    I do think Haney had the genetics to have better legs but he didn't need them to
    win Mr. Olympia during his reign. Against a 1993 Yates he would have needed them.
    One last thing - I think Yates came closer or possibly did reach his genetic potential
    in 1993. It's hard to imagine he could have been better.
    Although Haney seems to be regarded as the GOAT by more experts, IMHO we never
    saw what he could have become. Had 1991 happened in 1989 and Haney had Yates to
    push him to get better; a Haney with bigger legs and striated glutes would have been a sight to see.
    BTW - I have seen Haney in very good shape up close guest posing.

Last edited by SomeKindofMonster; May 8th, 2013 at 02:50 AM.

Some pictures of a near perfect Yates in 1993.
    (What I mean by perfect is taking his God given genetics, bringing in maximum condition,
    and maximizing those genetics without ruining proportion, symmetry, ect.)
    I think Yates looked best at the prejudging in 1993. He was fuller and by the posing portion
    it looked like his legs had lost some of the fullness and size they had at the prejudging.

shawn_ray_dorian_yates_flex_wheeler2.jpgdybs.jpg Dorian Yates 42.jpg dy2091993.jpg yates_091993.jpg dorian_yates_138.jpg 1993-mr-olympia-101.jpg

Without getting to technical about it, there is no way in hell that Haney would or even could have beaten Yates in 93

Quote Originally Posted by SomeKindofMonster View Post
    Sure beats the Mr Puffy guest posing of today.

Edit.

Yates was just amazing in 93. Unbeatable that year...you know when Flex Wheeler shows up at one of his "best ever's" and Yates still slams the door. Yates was amazing pre-bicep tear. That back double bicep is ungodly...the hardness and density is unmatched in the pose even to today.

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nuthnbutfords View Post
    Yates was just amazing in 93. Unbeatable that year...you know when Flex Wheeler shows up at one of his "best ever's" and Yates still slams the door. Yates was amazing pre-bicep tear. That back double bicep is ungodly...the hardness and density is unmatched in the pose even to today.
    Flex was off his ASC form by the time the 93 O rolled around. I would have had Shawn in 2nd ahead of Wheeler. But nobody was touching Yates that year
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Banned

Dorian was amazing omg, 1993! what a year! Lee Haney was so amazing too, it's close!

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Portillo. View Post
    Sure beats the Mr Puffy guest posing of today.
    Fairly doubt Haney was in full off season, I can find you Puffy's great guest posing spots

Barbarian

Fantastic article once again by Peter. Despite Yates winning one of the rounds, I still believe Haney beat him soundly, he had just a much better shape to his muscles and far superior taper, better symmetry. I know those things aren't really judged, but that's how I saw it.

Another thing, even though this short lived rivalry was amazing, to me the greatest rivalry ever was Arnold vs Sergio. Nothing tops that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeKindofMonster View Post
    Very Interesting Article! Well done as well!
    For Haney to be competitive with a 1993 Yates he would
    have needed to weigh 258 instead of 248.
    A lot of that added weight would need to be added to his legs
    and he would have needed to be more refined in the back poses,
    mainly from the waist down. (Glutes and Hams)
    It would have been cool to see but I think Haney took his physique
    where he wanted too and to compete with Yates in 93 may have taken
    his physique beyond a place he wanted to go.
    Haney was an evolution from the 70's and Yates was an evolution from the 80's.
    I find this guest posing video of Haney to be quite impressive. He looks quite grainy
    in his MM poses and I always wondered what he weighed here. He's in great shape for
    a guest posing.
    I do think Haney had the genetics to have better legs but he didn't need them to
    win Mr. Olympia during his reign. Against a 1993 Yates he would have needed them.
    One last thing - I think Yates came closer or possibly did reach his genetic potential
    in 1993. It's hard to imagine he could have been better.
    Although Haney seems to be regarded as the GOAT by more experts, IMHO we never
    saw what he could have become. Had 1991 happened in 1989 and Haney had Yates to
    push him to get better; a Haney with bigger legs and striated glutes would have been a sight to see.
    BTW - I have seen Haney in very good shape up close guest posing.

Awesome video from the crappy Redford theater. I was there for this and I about pooped my pants as Haney was the biggest BB'r I ever seen at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Flex was off his ASC form by the time the 93 O rolled around. I would have had Shawn in 2nd ahead of Wheeler. But nobody was touching Yates that year
    Ya, i always mix those 2 shows up. Flex was amazingly full at the Ironman that year...93. I think he looked better that full.

I just watched Shawns 93 O routine...he probably did deserve 2nd...but hey...Flex was the up and comer.

Here's a good question Big Mike...who was the most impressive person you saw in person. Obviously you've seen everyone up close. Take Ronnie out of the picture..cause that's a obvious one. Dillet?

Banned

great review,thanks

I USED TO DO HIGH VOLUME LIKE SO MANY BODYBUILDERS DO TODAY AND DID GROW BUT WHEN I SWITHED TO DORIANS SHORT AND SWEET WORKOUTS KILLING IT ON EACH TWO SETS PER BODY PART WITH THE HEAVIEST WEIGHT IVE GROWN TREMENDOUSLY SO I THANK DORIAN VERY MUCH FOR HIS TRAINING PRINCIPLES AND YES NO ONE WOULD OF BEAT DRIAN IN 93 NOT EVEN RONNIE!
    J!E!T!S! JETS!JETS!JETS! Robby & Felicia

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nuthnbutfords View Post
    Ya, i always mix those 2 shows up. Flex was amazingly full at the Ironman that year...93. I think he looked better that full.

I just watched Shawns 93 O routine...he probably did deserve 2nd...but hey...Flex was the up and comer.

Here's a good question Big Mike...who was the most impressive person you saw in person. Obviously you've seen everyone up close. Take Ronnie out of the picture..cause that's a obvious one. Dillet?
    I saw Dillett 4 weeks before the 98 Olympia. He guest posed at the Mr. Ohio and i sat there just shaking my head. In clothes he didnt look that big, but on stage, it was game over. yeah his back wasnt great, but he was 290 with shredded glutes. One more was Victor Richards. I never thought a human could get THAT big and he wasnt taht tall either. But those two were IMO, the most physically impressive in person.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

People always dog Dorian and say he ruined bodybuilding blah blah blah mass blah blah blah aesthetics blah blah blah. Personally, I think Dorian had great symmetry and aesthetics. Maybe his waist started to get a little bigger toward the end and the bicep tear didn't help but if you really look at his build, he was big, rock hard and (in my opinion) very balanced.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast