Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MD 101: Steve Kuclo On Squats

But you won't see that with today's pro's squatting wide is king now

Quote Originally Posted by jcuadrado06 View Post
    But you won't see that with today's pro's squatting wide is king now
    Like I said, it all comes down to how much torque your knees can handle...Most likely those guys with great legs squatting narrow stanced had already a predisposition to have strong lower body ligaments and tendins, and could do that....Take Evan C. for example, he said many times that he squats with a wide stance because it feels more "natural"...Is it worth to attempt to achieve more gains if the stress and torque on the knees leaves you in sharp pain every single leg workout? Or do you think Evan doesnot know proper squatting technique??
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

How can you compare Evan to platz demayo or cutter people today go for the most over comfortable easiest options when it comes to exercise that what the cookie crumbles down to not torque and ligament strength take for instance wide grip chin ups nobody really does them anymore people do wide grip lat pull downs now because it's so much easier to do

How can you compare Evan to platz demayo or cutter people today go for the most over comfortable easiest options when it comes to exercise that what the cookie crumbles down to not torque and ligament strength take for instance wide grip chin ups nobody really does them anymore people do wide grip lat pull downs now because it's so much easier to do
    there is a big difference between an exercise that just feels unconfortable and an exercise that plainly HURTS
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Lol yeah but hey man the bottom line is a close stance will give you biggser quads then a wider one will, amen ?

Lol yeah but hey man the bottom line is a close stance will give you biggser quads then a wider one will, amen ?
    Amen to that W can agree on that at least
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Have to disagree, leg structure varies from person to person. It's literally impossible for me to squat close stance. I have very long femurs and a short torso I have excessive forward lean when my feet are too close together. Semi wide stance high bar squats is where the bulk of where my leg gains came from. Demayo/Platz/Cutler all had structures that where very well built for squatting. Platz goes into this heavily in some of his interviews when talking about squat stance.

Good discussion, I have to support the position of rocky.

I use an openness to shoulder height at the back squat while in the front squat I use a wider aperture. I've had a long time pain in the knee and I'm driving lightweight but perfecting the technique, i have no problems if growing quadriceps or hamstring, both need size.

Steve Sentaduillas are not deep.

Quote Originally Posted by R_00N View Post
    Have to disagree, leg structure varies from person to person. It's literally impossible for me to squat close stance. I have very long femurs and a short torso I have excessive forward lean when my feet are too close together. Semi wide stance high bar squats is where the bulk of where my leg gains came from. Demayo/Platz/Cutler all had structures that where very well built for squatting. Platz goes into this heavily in some of his interviews when talking about squat stance.
    And what does Tom platz say about squat stance?

Seriously thinking of squatting narrow again for another 6 months to see if my quads can go back to where they were!
    Dream big and work hard!

He basically says to use the squat stance which allows you to reach depth safely and feels natural.

How about this philosophy on squats. Instead of arguing wide stances or close stance, we all can understand each human is built differently, and the fact that bar placement on the shoulders and the shoes being worn can all make a difference on balanace, so choose a stance that lets you body go into a natural squat motion rather than trying to force it to a certain movement.

As for toes being straight in or out, I have watched a very long video of platz doing a one on one seminar with someone and explained that he had his toes slightly pointed out but also made sure as he squatted down the knees went in the same direction of the toe that your not adding any pressure to the knee and making sure the body is alinged properly. He refers to it as a piston going up and down

Going to be boring here. I'd go for the natural width that suits you. For me that was a touch wider than shoulders and toes very slightly angled out. We are all different and those differences manifest themselves more in squats than any other exercise. For the record I have longer torso, shorter legs. When I did squats I did them for overall leg size. One thing about the legs seen from the front. The inner part of the thigh is actually hamstring. I believe deep squats help this area to. Hacks, close feet, feet forward smith, sissys etc all fill out the other areas.
    D E S T R O Y

exactly, very good points you guys...You adjust the equipment/exercise/form to your body, not the other way around
    JESUS THE CHRIST

You must be a shorter guy. For most taller bodybuilders it has nothing to do with laziness.
    I can't squat effectively going narrower than shoulder width.
    Last edited by TexBull; December 17th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

What would be the cons with a more narrow stance if your a bodybuilder? Youll hit more quads and less glutes and hamstrings ? If your squatting for quad development and can't squat with a more narrow stance that means you have to keep practicing, stretching etc... Till you can get it, now if you can't squat narrow people just squat super wide cause its super comfortable I think its lazyness

You must be a shorter guy. For most taller bodybuilders it has nothing to do with laziness.
    I can't squat effectively going narrower than shoulder width.
    Real men deadlift.

Most bodybuilders/lifters are lazy as fuck. How many people in this thread spend 30+ minutes before they even touch a barbell stretching, working on mobility, and then repeat everyday so they can build strong tendons and joints on top of the actual muscular hypertrophy? It doesn't matter what your body structure is, it is what you want it to be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast