Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Great Peter McGough

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Default Question for the Great Peter McGough

Peter,

Shawn Ray took some verbal jabs at Dorians physique when they were competing, did that ever get under Dorian's skin?

Flex used to feature FBB in their Power and Sizzle centerfolds, did Flex get a lot of feedback, either positive or negative regarding that?

When the first Masters Olympia was held, most thought it was a forgone conclusion that Ferrigno was going to win, were you at all shocked that Robby won?

What was your reaction when Paula Bircumshaw went on stage during the posedown at the 1992 ASC? Could you EVER see something like that happening again?

In your opinion, who is the best FBB ever? People will say Iris b/c of her contest victories and some say Lenda for her amazing physique (personally, Lenda had the greatest physique ive ever seen on a FBB)
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Here we go Mike,

DORIAN & SHAWN: Dorian would get annoyed at the jabs but as far as I saw never let Shawn have the satisfaction of knowing that. Steve Weinberger (Dorian’s close friend, who was like his second at all Olympias from1993 onwards) took a different approach and would get in Shawn’s face. But Shawn stood his ground and didn’t appear intimidated. I’ve seen Shawn in verbal spats with Flex Wheeler and even when it seemed Flex was going to unload on him, Shawn just kept standing his ground. Today Shawn and Dorian are quite good buddies.

POWER &SIZZLE: There was a strong following for those pictorials, but we’d get a lot of complaints from other readers who asked (something I agreed with) why waste valuable pages on the sort of stuff you could see in Playboy? They got pretty sleazy in my opinion and some chains like Walmart stopped stocking Flex around 1996. When I became editor in 1997 I dampened down on them, and several times our circulation guys tried to get Walmart to stock FLEX again, but all attempts failed. In 2001 I went to Walmart’s head office in Fayetteville, Arkansas, for a meeting with one of Walmart’s Assistant Buyers. I didn’t know the person I was seeing was a woman and when she walked in (not being sexist) but I thought, “Is this a good or bad thing?” She was very pleasant and I showed her the type of pictorials that got us thrown out in ’96 and compared them with the ones we were then running. She said she’d get back to me in a week. Seven days later FLEX was back in Walmart.

MASTERS: After his Olympia comeback in 1992 and 1993 the Masters (created by Joe Weider) was certainly seen as the vehicle that would at last get Louie an Olympia title. But Robby rightfully won with Louie second: I thought Boyer Coe should have been second. Louie’s reaction was pretty hostile and I wrote a story about it called THE INCREDIBLE SULK.

PAULA: Here’s the story I wrote on that incident. http://www.musculardevelopment.com/n...l#.VJHbDSh93oA
    As for it happening again, we haven’t seen anything similar at that level in the past 22 years. I think in this politically correct age many athletes are more prone to keep quiet when they think they’re given a bad placing. The thing is you’d have to know Paula to realize that her doing it was not surprising. She was totally honest, didn’t take any BS or cozy up to judges or those that could help her career. And she was a riot to socialize with. Ask guys from that era (like Dorian and Charlie Clairmonte, Ian Harrison) who was the hardest training Brit and they’d likely say Paula.

BEST FBB: All you can be is the best of your era. Rachel was the flag bearer at the beginning and then Cory, then Lenda, then Kim, then Iris. As far as the best female bodybuilder (judged on purely body-building terms) I’d have to pick Kim Chizevsky at her 1996-’99 prime. She had great proportions, total development and came in hard as nails. In contest condition she was around 160 pounds and she would be the only female bodybuilder I would tip to beat an NPC Nationals line-up – say like the welterweight division.

AWESOME PETER!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!

I was at the 1994 Olympia weekend and the Masters was GREAT!!! I thought Lou was going to win but like you said, Robby was great that night!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Hi Peter,
    I have question for you that you maybe able to answer.
    In 95, Sonny Schmidt won the Masters Olympia and then the following night competed in the Mr.Olympia.
    I believe that it was the last time that the guys were able to compete in both comps.
    Just wondering if you know the reasoning behind that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ausironman View Post
    Hi Peter,
    I have question for you that you maybe able to answer.
    In 95, Sonny Schmidt won the Masters Olympia and then the following night competed in the Mr.Olympia.
    I believe that it was the last time that the guys were able to compete in both comps.
    Just wondering if you know the reasoning behind that decision.
    Sonny entering both the Masters and Open Olympia on the same weekend stands out because such a combo is rarely done. But I believe there is no rule saying a competitor can’t enter the open and masters at the same event, or that he has to declare himself as a Masters or an open competitor for a specific year. In 1998 Vince Taylor won the Masters Arnold and was third in the open Arnold that same weekend. And Vince entered Masters and open events for the remainder of his career, which ended in 2008. And Dexter Jackson won the last two Masters Olympis (2011, 2012) while still entering open contests.

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Peter who is the best bodybuilder to never win the Mr Olympia?

Quote Originally Posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
    Peter who is the best bodybuilder to never win the Mr Olympia?
    In my opinion Flex Wheeler.

If this is what the current state of the art in bodybuilding is come to, we're screwed.

The last dude to make Pro BB fun was Robert Kennedy and a strong dose of Jerry Kindela! May they RIP.

(No offense BMC)

ok, now i'm extremely interested in finding this "The Incredible Sulk" article. any idea if it's online?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    In my opinion Flex Wheeler.
    Thanks peter! I think Shawn should have a sandow!

You said drive, genetics and desire makes great bodybuilders and drugs don't and yes we have all read that article were you said that Dorian Yates was built by hard work and genetics and not drugs. You were Joe Weider's right hand man when he wanted Bodybuilding in the Olympics. However more than a few Bodybuilders have died under your watch from diuretic abuse, kidney failure or heart attacks at fairly young ages. Andreas Munzer, Mike Matarazzo, Paul DeMayo, Sonny Schmit, Art Atwood, Greg Kovacs, Don Youngblood, Mat Duvall, Nasser El Sonbaty Etc Etc. Do you really think the average reader of FLEX or Muscular Development thinks that all Pros featured in those magazines dont abuse a lot of drugs regardless of how good their "Drive" or "Genetics" are? And do you personally think that Bodybuilding caused the early demise of these men.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Edwards View Post
    Levrone,Wheeler,Nasser and Shawn all were very close to it
    Shawn got Robbed!

Thanks peter! I think Shawn should have a sandow!
    Tom Platz 81 should have had an Olympia. First place Franco didn't get any first place votes from the judges and still won. Figure..
    D E S T R O Y

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
    Tom Platz 81 should have had an Olympia. First place Franco didn't get any first place votes from the judges and still won. Figure..
    Franco had a 6th place physique.

What got me is that Shawn was drug free as a teen and looked THAT good! Genetics are a MF.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Franco had a 6th place physique.

What got me is that Shawn was drug free as a teen and looked THAT good! Genetics are a MF.
    Very much this! He 100 percent should have an Olympia title.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Shawn got Robbed!
    Agreed. Actually in 1994, Laura Crevalle was the BEST FBB on that stage. I love Lenda but she was really off. Aaron Baker should have been 4th IMO. Porter Cottrell was good, but not top 5.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    Sonny entering both the Masters and Open Olympia on the same weekend stands out because such a combo is rarely done. But I believe there is no rule saying a competitor canít enter the open and masters at the same event, or that he has to declare himself as a Masters or an open competitor for a specific year. In 1998 Vince Taylor won the Masters Arnold and was third in the open Arnold that same weekend. And Vince entered Masters and open events for the remainder of his career, which ended in 2008. And Dexter Jackson won the last two Masters Olympis (2011, 2012) while still entering open contests.
    Don Yougblood also did them both 1st and 25th respectively in 2002. I've never understood why they would want to eclipse their primary spot with a predictably low place so soon after. But if you know you're in the best shape of your life...
    Confirm what I already know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast