Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What has bodybuilding taught you/lessons you learned?

Default What has bodybuilding taught you/lessons you learned?

I hear so many people talk about bodybuilding and things they wish they knew when they first started or things they've learned that they would have loved to learn early on in their careers. What is the number 1 things some of you guys wished you would have known back when you were younger, or whats the best thing bodybuilding has taught you whether it's in or out of the gym. I'm asking because this is a question that many people ask me so wanted to see what some of you guys/gals thought....
    It ain't bout how hard you're hit, it's bout how hard you can get hit and keep movin forward."

Mass Monster GeorgeForemanRules's Avatar

#1 and only lesson, you have only one body, treat it well, abusing it is a very bad idea.
    Diversity is a code word for White Genocide

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cisternino View Post
    I hear so many people talk about bodybuilding and things they wish they knew when they first started or things they've learned that they would have loved to learn early on in their careers. What is the number 1 things some of you guys wished you would have known back when you were younger, or whats the best thing bodybuilding has taught you whether it's in or out of the gym. I'm asking because this is a question that many people ask me so wanted to see what some of you guys/gals thought....
    None! I had the best Mentors and I was taught the good, the bad and the ugly from day one. The key is figure out what do YOU want from bodybuilding and focus on YOUR goals! PS Treat Bodybuilding as a hobby an DO NOT ignore getting Stable Career! The best thing I learned from bodybuilding Is SELF DISCIPLINE is the Great Neutralizer in life and it can overcome lack of raw talent!

Banned

To think for yourself, taking care of your body is priority, and I can live forever like Beowulf long as I workout.

.Dont be afraid of growing fat from eating enough carbs, not enough carbs u wont grow.

.watch out for the insulin and serotonin spike from eating too much carbs especially before ur workout. That'll turn u into a mummy and u wont be able to lift, i could barely stand up without running out of breath.

.be flexible with changing ur routines if ur not getting stronger. Learn different training styles and keep trying till u hit a style that works. The sooner u do this the better.
    .to the point above - my arms dont grow if i dont train them twice a week

.overwork is meant to be dealt with not something to run away from. U grow from stress not cowaring away from it

.sleep

To be successful you really have to work hard and say fuck all those excuses. and not just in bodybuilding but in life.
    TEAM QUADRO!!!
    TEAM WOLF!!!

How much self discipline I was lacking and how I could use that in all parts of life. How to work for what I want

OK, I've learned...

* That bodybuilding on any level except the top 5 in the world isn't a career.
    * That bodybuilders are not elite athletes or athletes in general.
    * That hardcore bodybuilders are nothing more than efficient drug abusers.
    * That competitive bodybuilding is a joke of epic douche bag proportions (oil, fake tan, posing, music, acting serious, thong, etc).
    * That most serious bodybuilders have an image disorder of which bb will never cure.
    * That competitive, non-natural bbing is incredibly unhealthy despite supposedly being a healthy endeavor.
    * That bodybuilders are willing to habitually break the law.
    * That bodybuilding is different than "lifting".
    * That drug-using bodybuilders are nothing more than great-responders to drugs and training; nothing more.

So, who wants to be a bb now?

That the sandwich isn't into bodybuilding, yet frequents a bodybuilding website.
    I stop me....no one else does.

I learned that in bodybuilding you need to do the boring, difficult, tiring stuff first. Do that in real life as well makes real life more productive.

That at being said, I can't be arsed to put the Christmas tree and decorations in the loft.
    D E S T R O Y

Quote Originally Posted by TheSandwich View Post
    OK, I've learned...

* That bodybuilding on any level except the top 5 in the world isn't a career.
    * That bodybuilders are not elite athletes or athletes in general.
    * That hardcore bodybuilders are nothing more than efficient drug abusers.
    * That competitive bodybuilding is a joke of epic douche bag proportions (oil, fake tan, posing, music, acting serious, thong, etc).
    * That most serious bodybuilders have an image disorder of which bb will never cure.
    * That competitive, non-natural bbing is incredibly unhealthy despite supposedly being a healthy endeavor.
    * That bodybuilders are willing to habitually break the law.
    * That bodybuilding is different than "lifting".
    * That drug-using bodybuilders are nothing more than great-responders to drugs and training; nothing more.

So, who wants to be a bb now?
    I can tell you this...If I wasnt into BB, or had the mind set of the list you provided...I certainly wouldnt be wasting my time on a BB site.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeForemanRules View Post
    #1 and only lesson, you have only one body, treat it well, abusing it is a very bad idea.
    Great quote.
    - I don't know what the future will bring to me, but I want to be ready when it comes.

learn when u make mistake, and do not train in that bad way again, learnin' how to eat right to make ur muscle show, the way the need to. take time off to rest and let ur muscle grow. take lots of update pic to see how far u came from and what u can do better. watch others in ur part of bodybuildin', as for me wpd, to see who u'll be goin' against, for ur next show. look at how they pose and u practice ur tail off to get better. also look at the others body, to see what they have worked on to make them better and then u do the same.

i say this, cause i DO THIS. when i get ready for a show, i must look at the other wpd folks tp see how they look, andf that lets me know what i need to work on the most, in order to beat them, if i am in the same show and class. one thing i have found out by bein' blessed to compete is that, u never know who u are goin' agian, on that stage, when i get there. u could be the only one, or not. one thing i do know. WHEN U DO A SHOW, BRING UR A GAME!
    MY KING OF KINGS

I've learned that Lasix is nothing to mess with.

Here's an article I did a few years ago.....

Written by IFBB Pro athletes rep Bob Cicherillo.

Bobservations
    This Month: 30 things I've observed in 30 years

Having had a close relationship with training and competing over the last 30 years, I have been able to reflect on various lessons I've learned as I eventually made my way to the pro ranks by winning the overall at the 2000 NPC USA. Believe me, there was a lot to learn in 15 pro qualifiers ranging back to 1987!
    Here is a list of some of what I have figured out during my journey. Some concepts are oversimplifications, but like all good aphorisms, there is at least a kernel of truth contained within each. Consider my advice as insight gained from experience – maybe these tips will make your path a bit easier.

1 No posing routine using a costume ever looked cool.
    2 I've never seen a bodybuilder bring up a lagging body part by training it more often.
    3 Cardio sessions over an hour never result in losing more fat without the expense of muscle.
    4 The heavier I trained, the worse the end result
    5 The harder you strike a pose, the more it looks the same.
    6 My mother thinks I should have won every show I ever competed in.
    7 The further out you cut water, the flatter you'll look.
    8 The more you carb up, the softer you'll look.
    9 The answer to most questions is “in the middle.”
    10 The smaller the waist, the bigger the shoulders.
    11 The scale has been responsible for more bodybuilders losing contests than any other factor except the next one.
    12 The process of carb depleting and loading doesn't work most of the time.
    13 There is no defense in bodybuilding
    14 The illusion of a better bodybuilder is better than a better bodybuilder.
    15 If you think you know your body better than anyone, you're probably wrong.
    16 The phrase “I'm in the best shape of my life” is the kiss of death.
    17 Looking good in “bad light” means you're ready.
    18 It's better to look good than to feel good on stage.
    19 It's better to feel good than to look good any time before the day of the show.
    20 The average prep time is 12 weeks. The average time you screw it up is 48 hours.
    21 If there are two people in a class and you don't win, you're last.
    22 Just because you qualify to compete nationally doesn't mean you should.
    23 Drugs don't build better genetics.
    24 There is a fine line between dedication and obsession.
    25 Training smarter trumps training harder.
    26 The worst bodybuilders make the best gurus, and vice versa.
    27 The best poser never wins the posing round, and the most symmetrical never wins the symmetry round.
    28 Ninety-nine percent of the competitors who don't win look better on Fridays an Sundays.
    29 One hundred percent of winners are satisfied with the judging.
    30 It's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you can lift.

BONUS ROUND
    1 Everyone not in the bodybuilding industry knows someone bigger, stronger and better than me.
    2 There is no 'bench press' round.
    3 No matter who designs them, white posing trunks look like underwear on stage.
    4 If I had a dime for every time someone asks me “Whaddya bench?” I's have a lot of dimes.
    5 The three worst enemies to a competitive bodybuilder are the scale, tape measure and his mind.
    6 No bodybuilder ever thought he was “100%” at a show.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Here's an article I did a few years ago.....

Written by IFBB Pro athletes rep Bob Cicherillo.

Bobservations
    This Month: 30 things I've observed in 30 years

Having had a close relationship with training and competing over the last 30 years, I have been able to reflect on various lessons I've learned as I eventually made my way to the pro ranks by winning the overall at the 2000 NPC USA. Believe me, there was a lot to learn in 15 pro qualifiers ranging back to 1987!
    Here is a list of some of what I have figured out during my journey. Some concepts are oversimplifications, but like all good aphorisms, there is at least a kernel of truth contained within each. Consider my advice as insight gained from experience – maybe these tips will make your path a bit easier.

1 No posing routine using a costume ever looked cool.
    2 I've never seen a bodybuilder bring up a lagging body part by training it more often.
    3 Cardio sessions over an hour never result in losing more fat without the expense of muscle.
    4 The heavier I trained, the worse the end result
    5 The harder you strike a pose, the more it looks the same.
    6 My mother thinks I should have won every show I ever competed in.
    7 The further out you cut water, the flatter you'll look.
    8 The more you carb up, the softer you'll look.
    9 The answer to most questions is “in the middle.”
    10 The smaller the waist, the bigger the shoulders.
    11 The scale has been responsible for more bodybuilders losing contests than any other factor except the next one.
    12 The process of carb depleting and loading doesn't work most of the time.
    13 There is no defense in bodybuilding
    14 The illusion of a better bodybuilder is better than a better bodybuilder.
    15 If you think you know your body better than anyone, you're probably wrong.
    16 The phrase “I'm in the best shape of my life” is the kiss of death.
    17 Looking good in “bad light” means you're ready.
    18 It's better to look good than to feel good on stage.
    19 It's better to feel good than to look good any time before the day of the show.
    20 The average prep time is 12 weeks. The average time you screw it up is 48 hours.
    21 If there are two people in a class and you don't win, you're last.
    22 Just because you qualify to compete nationally doesn't mean you should.
    23 Drugs don't build better genetics.
    24 There is a fine line between dedication and obsession.
    25 Training smarter trumps training harder.
    26 The worst bodybuilders make the best gurus, and vice versa.
    27 The best poser never wins the posing round, and the most symmetrical never wins the symmetry round.
    28 Ninety-nine percent of the competitors who don't win look better on Fridays an Sundays.
    29 One hundred percent of winners are satisfied with the judging.
    30 It's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you can lift.

BONUS ROUND
    1 Everyone not in the bodybuilding industry knows someone bigger, stronger and better than me.
    2 There is no 'bench press' round.
    3 No matter who designs them, white posing trunks look like underwear on stage.
    4 If I had a dime for every time someone asks me “Whaddya bench?” I's have a lot of dimes.
    5 The three worst enemies to a competitive bodybuilder are the scale, tape measure and his mind.
    6 No bodybuilder ever thought he was “100%” at a show.
    all excellent points Bob
    TEAM QUADRO!!!
    TEAM WOLF!!!

Banned

I learned that people will do absolutely ANYTHING out of pride and vanity. Even putting their health in jeopardy.
    I also discovered some rare soul who treat bodybuilding as a mean of self growth and who are not self centered jerk.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast