Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising Compton: Episode 4 - Turning the Calves into Cows

Default Raising Compton: Episode 4 - Turning the Calves into Cows

now its a party
    Lance Armstrong is a winner.
    Chael Sonnen to be next president.

Banned

Double chin on the pic. Tough he is supposed to be really lean.

It's official - Hany's favorite word is, "really".

I wonder what Justin's calf measures? If you're not aspiring to hit the stage, I say screw symmetry and make your calves as big as possible. 99% of guys I see in the gym have no concept of the principles necessary to grow mammoth calves. Bouncing heavy weight around. Asking for an Achilles tear. And guess what? Their calves never grow. TIME UNDER TENSION + STRETCH. Simple, but good video here.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Tha is interesting, because I remember Arnold back in the days said that his calves were weak and to bring them up he had to go really heavy on them
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Banned

Would be kinda cool if this vid was about him feeding some farm animal early in the morning and providing education about how bovine matures.

My best calf gains came from Phil Hernon's recommendation of flat-footed, barefooted HEAVY calf raises in a smith machine. Since there's no stretch involved, you can go way heavier than you imagined. The entire back of my lower legs felt crippled after each workout.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    My best calf gains came from Phil Hernon's recommendation of flat-footed, barefooted HEAVY calf raises in a smith machine. Since there's no stretch involved, you can go way heavier than you imagined. The entire back of my lower legs felt crippled after each workout.
    Did this exact thing yesterday.... I can confirm your words. Couldnt walk with dog this morning because of that.

I thought the STRETCHING part of the movement is where the "magic" takes place
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    I thought the STRETCHING part of the movement is where the "magic" takes place
    Runners stretch like crazy, but none have massive calves.

Think about this for a minute, Rock... most grossly fat guys have huge calves. They don't do any stretching at all. They just walk around, each step under tremendous load.

A 200 lb bodybuilder won't get a calf like that just walking. And high-rep, stretched calf raises wont make big calves on most people. How many guys do you know who have small calves in spite of frequent training in the traditionally prescribed manner? Big loads build big calves. Hit 'em heavy, hit 'em hard' hit 'em frequently. Save the stretch for after the workout.

But hey, whatever works, then do it.
    Last edited by IRON DWARF; January 26th, 2015 at 12:18 PM.

Runners stretch like crazy, but none have massive calves.
    I am doing calves tonight...So you just get under a smith machine bar and push up on your toes? Foot stance is neutral, wide, or narrow? And can I keep my shoes on? even when I do calves with thin sole shoes I push into a nerve in my foot that really hurts
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    I am doing calves tonight...So you just get under a smith machine bar and push up on your toes? Foot stance is neutral, wide, or narrow? And can I keep my shoes on? even when I do calves with thin sole shoes I push into a nerve in my foot that really hurts

Yeah, well at a public gym I'd leave the shoes on... depending on the gym's policy on the liability.

Wear the flattest shoes possible. Stand with feet how they FEEL most natural for handling a heavy load. Same with feet position relative to the bar above. Go by feel. Warm up a few light sets, then start ramping up after adding plates. Push up fast and hard each rep, and come down slowly until heal hits floor before going back up. Go to failure each set, with the starting sets doing 20+ reps. After a short rest, add more plates and do another set to failure. Repeat procedure until your last set gets 5 or less reps. I usually did 5 work sets. You will be able to far exceed your previous calf raise weight.
    After this I usually went onto the leg press machine and did heavy, single leg calf stretches.

Prepare for the entire back of your shin to feel wasted.

Yeah, well at a public gym I'd leave the shoes on... depending on the gym's policy on the liability.Wear the flattest shoes possible. Stand with feet how they FEEL most natural for handling a heavy load. Same with feet position relative to the bar above. Go by feel. Warm up a few light sets, then start ramping up after adding plates. Push up fast and hard each rep, and come down slowly until heal hits floor before going back up. Go to failure each set, with the starting sets doing 20+ reps. After a short rest, add more plates and do another set to failure. Repeat procedure until your last set gets 5 or less reps. I usually did 5 work sets. You will be able to far exceed your previous calf raise weight. After this I usually went onto the leg press machine and did heavy, single leg calf stretches.Prepare for the entire back of your shin to feel wasted.
    I defientely gonna try these...It seems like the ROM is very short since you can only go from stretch position to just parallel
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Yeah, well at a public gym I'd leave the shoes on... depending on the gym's policy on the liability.

Wear the flattest shoes possible. Stand with feet how they FEEL most natural for handling a heavy load. Same with feet position relative to the bar above. Go by feel. Warm up a few light sets, then start ramping up after adding plates. Push up fast and hard each rep, and come down slowly until heal hits floor before going back up. Go to failure each set, with the starting sets doing 20+ reps. After a short rest, add more plates and do another set to failure. Repeat procedure until your last set gets 5 or less reps. I usually did 5 work sets. You will be able to far exceed your previous calf raise weight.
    After this I usually went onto the leg press machine and did heavy, single leg calf stretches.

Prepare for the entire back of your shin to feel wasted.
    Very good post!

Just to add... 5 sets isn't in stone. After some trial and error, you'll find what weight gets you 20 reps to failure on your first set, then you'll discover how much to add each proceeding set in order to hit failure at 5 reps on the last set (you might get 20 reps, then 15, 12, 8, 5 or similar).
    First time I did it it took 8 sets.

I hope I made myself clear.

Oh, and I did this 3x per week, and I did it first in my workouts (I was prioritizing calves at the time).

Just to add... 5 sets isn't in stone. After some trial and error, you'll find what weight gets you 20 reps to failure on your first set, then you'll discover how much to add each proceeding set in order to hit failure at 5 reps on the last set (you might get 20 reps, then 15, 12, 8, 5 or similar). First time I did it it took 8 sets. I hope I made myself clear. Oh, and I did this 3x per week, and I did it first in my workouts (I was prioritizing calves at the time).
    5 REPS seems very low rep range...i always felt like calves respended better to longer time under tension with more reps
    JESUS THE CHRIST

I was very lucky to have trained with him. He's a great guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast