Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Creatine & Coffee Effect: A Potent Double Whammy to Boost Muscle Gains

Iron Addict

Quote Originally Posted by kSwoLL View Post
    From experience, caffeine + creatine is rather ineffective in that A) the reasons I previously posted and B,) Caffeine stimulates the sympathetic nervous system; causing an adrenaline spike. This adrenaline spike forces glucose/glycogen to quickly evacuate the muscle cells and enter the blood stream in order to assist with the "fight or flight" response which stimulants are known activate.

Less glucose in the muscle cells equals less PUMP and less sustained muscle endurance.
    Well if that's the case, how do you explain the pretty serious pumps that some preworkout a give you that also have stimulants that cause adrenaline spike ?

Iron Addict

yes...from my personal experience with cafeine loaded preworkouts, they do 'seem' to increase CNS stimulation and because of an increased heart rate and BP I can see how some might feel convinced they are better off incorporating lots of caffeine preworkout.

However...you may end up feeling exceedingly worn out after or even during a workout because of the extra strain placed on the heart/cardiovascular system, Central nervous system etc. Also, because your muscles will have less glycogen in them, as much of it has been shuttled into your brain and thus filtered out through urine, they become more depleted and rapidly, leading to a premature catabolic state which ultimately in my opinion, defeats the purpose.

But if you need a stimulant to get 'in the zone' than so be it...I use to need coffee every day; at least one cup upon waking. I just don't' believe it to be conducive to muscular gains.
    I don't. I eat a solid meal about an hour to an hour and a half before and take some Agmatine before I leave for the gym for a little extra pump and that's about it. I was never a fan of pre workouts, don't like feeling like a crackhead once I'm done working out

I have been caffeine free since 2009. Best diet choice ever. Kept me from getting fired at my job ; zero bad side effects. You really don't need it. Marketing lies.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBeef View Post
    I take 20 grams everyday, not just during loading phase. I take 10grams in the am and 10 grams in the pm. I noticed a real big difference since I started doing this. When I was just taking the recommended 5 grams a day I didn't feel like it was doing anything.
    Ditto. Bigger bodies need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Canis View Post
    i have taken creatine without touching caffeine and i can't see a difference. but maybe that's just me. I do believe though that for most people creatine will work alot better if you stay away from caffeine
    I think what you're saying is possible depending on how your body handles glucose, as KswoLL just talked about.

From experience, caffeine + creatine is rather ineffective in that A) the reasons I previously posted and B,) Caffeine stimulates the sympathetic nervous system; causing an adrenaline spike. This adrenaline spike forces glucose/glycogen to quickly evacuate the muscle cells and enter the blood stream in order to assist with the "fight or flight" response which stimulants are known activate.

Less glucose in the muscle cells equals less PUMP and less sustained muscle endurance.
    Dude, great posts and I entirely concur based on my 15+ years of creatine use in a multitude of ways.

One thing I can't do is workout after drinking 80 grams of sugar from juice or soda... But it does help creatine uptake into muscle tissue especially after the workout.

Creatine constipates badly, so I am about to cut out all caffeine, up my water and minerals, and go to town on carbs... bet you I'll gain 6 to 8 pounds in a week. Water, glycogen, and shit mostly. But I'll be bigger and STRONGER, and thus the desired muscle growth after a two month period.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Quote Originally Posted by TX_Iron View Post
    I have been caffeine free since 2009. Best diet choice ever. Kept me from getting fired at my job ; zero bad side effects. You really don't need it. Marketing lies.
    I hear from most bodybuilders on the forums they prefer no stims.

Most kids and sales people are constantly cracked out and thus get crap for sleep, and end up looking older than they really are.

Ladies and gents, what brand of creatine have you used? Is there one you prefer? I know monohydrate is monohydrate regardless of brand, but just wondering if anyone has a preference? I'm using GAT monohydrate. Love it.

Iron Addict

I do not advocate this but... one thing I've personally noticed that always delivers a lasting pump in the gym for me is:

Two 12 oz cans of regular Mountain Dew mixed with about 5 to 10 grams of Creatine and 7 grams of Citriline Malate.

The large amount of fast digesting carbs in the Mountain Dew seem to ramp up my muscle cells absorption of the creatine. This is consumed either just prior to the workout or during...
    That's cool, nice to hear what other do. For myself I have something I do as well that give me quite a serious pump. I have my preworkout meal about an hour or so before I leave for the gym. This will include usually a chicken breast and rice and about 500 mg of sodium. When I leave for the gym I take 1.5 g of Agmatine. When I get to the gym about 15 minutes after leaving my house I eat a pack of candy. Anything really, rockets, sweet tarts, Swedish berries etc. which all have about 30 grams of sugar. This give me a pretty serious pump. As far as the creatine goes I don't really think it matters when you take it. Whether it be before, after your workout or anytime during the day really.

Iron Addict

Quote Originally Posted by majrminer View Post
    Ladies and gents, what brand of creatine have you used? Is there one you prefer? I know monohydrate is monohydrate regardless of brand, but just wondering if anyone has a preference? I'm using GAT monohydrate. Love it.
    I don't really have a preference. Any creatine monohydrate really.

Quote Originally Posted by majrminer View Post
    I hear from most bodybuilders on the forums they prefer no stims.

Most kids and sales people are constantly cracked out and thus get crap for sleep, and end up looking older than they really are.
    I actually PREFER no stims until 6 weeks out.
    TEAM QUADRO!!!
    TEAM WOLF!!!

Iron Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Canis View Post
    I actually PREFER no stims until 6 weeks out.
    Yeah that's when I think stims can help. When ur so carb depleted that you don't even know what day it is. Definetly help you push through the workouts

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBeef View Post
    Yeah that's when I think stims can help. When ur so carb depleted that you don't even know what day it is. Definetly help you push through the workouts
    exactly, these last days you get so exhausted that without anything to help i feel like you are not doing anything good at the gym.
    TEAM QUADRO!!!
    TEAM WOLF!!!

Ever had a pre-workout and coffee?!? Clears you out is an understatement!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    Right here is your creatine & coffee effect!

Attachment 325654

Quote Originally Posted by JourneyofIrve View Post
    Ever had a pre-workout and coffee?!? Clears you out is an understatement!!!
    Well i once mixed (for fun) one scoop of HBlocker(from isatori best pre workout ever) with one scoop of monster pump. I took a 3 hour shit after the gym that day...
    TEAM QUADRO!!!
    TEAM WOLF!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast