Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximize Your Gains by Doing Cardio First

Default Maximize Your Gains by Doing Cardio First

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Odd that the cardio first group LOWERED test levels but still increased strength more than the weights first group. Wouldn't really matter in enhanced athletes.
    There was also no mention of how long or how intense these cardio sessions were. Was it HIIT or LSD?
    Interesting article though.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

very interesting but i wonder the same thing as Tjoe
    TEAM QUADRO!!!
    TEAM WOLF!!!

Intuitively this makes sense to me. I always feel better when I perform cardio before weights unless its an all out effort. 20 minutes on the treadmill with heartrate around 160-170 seems to prime me for strenght training. I find I can push harder on squats with less lactic acid buildup when having performed cardio beforehand. However, cardio after lifting always feels horrible, cant run/row for shit.

Good to know science backs me up

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    Odd that the cardio first group LOWERED test levels but still increased strength more than the weights first group. Wouldn't really matter in enhanced athletes.
    There was also no mention of how long or how intense these cardio sessions were. Was it HIIT or LSD?
    Interesting article though.
    Lsd always crank up my heartbeat.

Freak of Nature

what is cardio?

Quote Originally Posted by bulky View Post
    Intuitively this makes sense to me. I always feel better when I perform cardio before weights unless its an all out effort. 20 minutes on the treadmill with heartrate around 160-170 seems to prime me for strenght training. I find I can push harder on squats with less lactic acid buildup when having performed cardio beforehand. However, cardio after lifting always feels horrible, cant run/row for shit.

Good to know science backs me up
    Then you must be... bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Neva View Post
    what is cardio?
    This.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Interesting... I can see how something like this MIGHT work for track athletes who are in the off season, but for a short period of time...

Everybody's body is different and responds to different methods of training. This study definitely left out a great deal of things to acknowledge in order to make people say, "Oh shit!! Maybe I need to try out!"

i really enjoy it this way. you think they say your body doesn't start to burn fat till around 30 mins into cardio so i do 30 steady state and the kill weights.. so therefore im burning fat more effectively then before. i also feel better

This depends on the athlete and goals. I never would do cardio first , I would train and burn off glycogen through training have fuel for workout and maybe 20 -25 cardio after. I would agree 45-hour may tap into muscle.

Just my anecdotal evidence/personal experience, I'm ALWAYS weaker if I do cardio first, ESPECIALLY if it's intense. I like to keep my glycogen stores loaded for intense weight training to get the biggest possible progressive overload. Whether or not the source of the energy stores being used matter, I feel a direct correlation between training as heavy as possible and results for me.

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

interesting thoughts.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Little Guy

Would there happen to be a reference list for this article someone could give me a link to?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbyrd View Post
    Would there happen to be a reference list for this article someone could give me a link to?

thanks
    References:
    1. Bodine SC, Stitt TN, et al. Akt/mTOR pathway is a crucial regulator of skeletal muscle hypertrophy and can prevent muscle atrophy in vivo. Nat Cell Biol 2001;3, 1014-1019.
    2. Baar K and Esser K. Phosphorylation of p70(S6k) correlates with increased skeletal muscle mass following resistance exercise. Am J Physiol 1999;276, C120-127.
    3. Chan AY, and Dyck JR. Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) inhibits protein synthesis: a potential strategy to prevent the development of cardiac hypertrophy. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2005;83, 24-28.
    4. Nader GA and Esser KA (2001). Intracellular signaling specificity in skeletal muscle in response to different modes of exercise. J Appl Physiol 1985;90, 1936-1942.
    5. Bolster DR, Kubica N, et al. Immediate response of mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR)-mediated signalling following acute resistance exercise in rat skeletal muscle. J Physiol 2003;553, 213-220.
    6. Willis LH, Slentz CA (2012). Effects of aerobic and/or resistance training on body mass and fat mass in overweight or obese adults. J Appl Physiol 1985;113, 1831-1837.
    7. Mounier R, Lantier L, et al. Important role for AMPKalpha1 in limiting skeletal muscle cell
    hypertrophy. Faseb J 2009;23, 2264-2273.
    8. Gibala MJ, McGee SL, et al. (2009) Brief intense interval exercise activates AMPK and p38 MAPK signaling and increases the expression of PGC-1alpha in human skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol 1985; 106, 929-934.
    9. Ogasawara R, Sato K, et al. The order of concurrent endurance and resistance exercise modifies mTOR signaling and protein synthesis in rat skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2014.
    10. Guglielmini C, Paolini AR and Conconi F. Variations of serum testosterone concentrations after physical exercises of different duration. Int J Sports Med 1984;5, 246-249.
    11. Schumann M, Walker S, et al. The order effect of combined endurance and strength loadings on force and hormone responses: effects of prolonged training. Eur J Appl Physiol 2014;114, 867-880.

i dont belive in this theory.

Bullshit. Train 1st, then cardio. Do cardio before training and kiss your muscle goodbye.

Apparently by doing cardio after training, your are shuttling the post workout shake to the muscle you have worked out more directly.

I think is a little Bro science for my liking, but Kris Gethin swears by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast