Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Value Of A Good Mentor In Bodybuilding!

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Default The Value Of A Good Mentor In Bodybuilding!

After reading a great article in the March MD magazine where Ron Harris interviews Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone and Dorian Yates in regards to Gear use in bodybuilding. It made me realize the value of having good mentors in order to have a safer trip in bodybuilding and understanding you may not be the next Ronnie Coleman. Who was your Mentor and how did they help you through your bodybuilding journey?

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
    After reading a great article in the March MD magazine where Ron Harris interviews Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone and Dorian Yates in regards to Gear use in bodybuilding. It made me realize the value of having good mentors in order to have a safer trip in bodybuilding and understanding you may not be the next Ronnie Coleman. Who was your Mentor and how did they help you through your bodybuilding journey?
    No mentor per say, but I was lucky to work at a few gyms in Toledo that had a few National level guys. Tom Long was Mr. Ohio and did the Jr. USA a few times and Jim Mommany was a HUGE help as well. He won the BW at the 94 Nationals. Helped with my prep a few times and was just a cool dude. When I moved to Florida I got to speak to and see Marcus Haley quite a bit and he was very helpful
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

For me
    1. Friend I'd known since I was 11 Gavin Gault. Trained with him in my first ever workout.
    2. Jim Wood - When I was 20 I had him as a 57 yr old training partner. Found out he was seven times Mr Scotland and A Mr Britain winner
    3. Mike Divens. Training partner for 3 yrs. he won overall Natural UK
    4. Mike Duffy. European powerlifting champ, multi Mr Scotland
    5. Steve Creighton - super dedicated. HW British winner an Mr Universe
    Bottom line is that I surrounded myself with those much better than me. They put up with me for the sake of my unbridled enthusiam.
    D E S T R O Y

Banned

I was getting my "career" underway in the early 2000's where if you were 5'10 you needed to be 300 pound offseason...wish I would've had someone telling me to pump the brakes a bit.