Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 6 Whole Foods to Increase Muscle Gains

  1. #1
    Administrator Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    noisserped
    Posts
    17,617
    Gender
    Male

    Default 6 Whole Foods to Increase Muscle Gains


  2. #2

    Default

    cherry juice eh? interesting

  3. #3
    Mass Monster majrminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In pursuit
    Posts
    5,035
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    They forgot muffins.

    "Fish eaters were more likely to have a university education." ... That's because fish costs a lot and you need to be educated to have a good job to pay for fish.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

  4. #4
    Mass Monster majrminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In pursuit
    Posts
    5,035
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kSwoLL View Post
    Or just born into a wealthy family...lol

    Fish is pretty cheap.

    Seriously, more fish = more Omega 3 = healthier brain cells and CNS.

    Key is consistency, most don't consume fish frequently, thus they don't reap many of the benefits. In some Asian countries where the diet is high in seafood, they reap an abundance of health benefits related to fish. However, one should always be cautious of mercury poisoning and choose the correct seafood or even supplements to use.
    I was joking about the price of fish. C'mon man.

    You're inferring direct correlations with 1) Omega 3 consumption and brain health and 2) a high seafood diet and an "abundance" of benefits.

    1) That's not a direct correlation because of a vast amount of external factors that also prevent neural decline, like eating less sugar (like Asians do), eating more vegetables, and an increased magnesium intake, just as a few examples. Omega 3's may provide an anti-inflammatory benefit for the brain, but it isn't direct causation. Asians simply have less stress, eat better in general, and certainly have different genetics than non-asians.

    2) Just because people eat a ton of seafood doesn't mean that they won't develop neural issues down the road. What if they have a genetic predisposition? What if they eat like shit the rest of the day, besides their one or two fish meals? What if they drink or smoke? What if... A diet high in fish intake does not equal a direct correlation for better health, nor can you infer that in general terms to the majority of the population.

    Finally, as the population of the world grows, the demand for fish increases, pollution of waters increases, and there is no guarantee that the majority of people in the world will get GOOD quality fish that may provide the health benefits you mention. Reference all the threads here about farm-raised fish. They likely do NOT provide the omega-3 health benefits that wild caught fish would. Salmon are already genetically modified. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the detriments of eating fish will one day outweigh the benefits. Who knows when that will be.

    If we believe every study we read, well, bad on us.
    Last edited by majrminer; February 17th, 2015 at 12:42 AM.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

  5. #5

    Default

    I use (green pasture)fermented cod liver oil for DHA, EPA, vitA and D. It's way better than eating pounds of fish all day long just for enough omega 3 fats...

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kSwoLL View Post
    Indeed. High DHA and EPA content is "key" when supplementing with a fish oil. Most of them offer one gram of "fish oil" per capsule, but they only have a small amount (200-300mg) of actual Omega 3s (EPA and DHA).
    I use to supplement with a brand that had about 830 mgs DHA/EPA per capsule. To get that much in a more common fish oil capsule, you'd have to consume about 3-4, just to get about 900 mg DHA/EPA.

    Now consider that studies show in order to reap the most benefit from omega 3, you should be consuming 1-3 Grams of actual "Omega 3" (DHA/EPA) per day.

    That can typically amount to over 9 capsules of standard store bought fish oil (with low DHA/EPA content) per day.
    Is poor and very low quality form of omega3 fats. Greenpasture fermented cod liver oil is a completely different story.

  7. #7
    Mass Monster majrminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In pursuit
    Posts
    5,035
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kSwoLL View Post
    I think you may be over thinking this. Lol was a reference to laughter meaning I knew it was to be taken with a grain of salt (not seriously).
    In regards to fish consumption and it's potential benefits on the Central Nervous System, I stand by my statement. In fact, there are many studies out that link a lack of omega 3 and 6 consumption to deppression and anxiety.

    Salmon and other relatively inexpensive fish sources such as tuna can readily increase the amount of good fats that can stabilize and increase overall brain health; I think the main issue with most people lies in not getting enough Omega 3/6 as opposed to getting too much.

    Same goes with vitamin d3.
    If you did your reading, you'd have read that American diets are too high in Omega 6. We (Americans in general) are getting too much Omega 6 because of meat and other mass food production techniques.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

  8. #8
    Mass Monster majrminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In pursuit
    Posts
    5,035
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kSwoLL View Post
    Indeed. High DHA and EPA content is "key" when supplementing with a fish oil. Most of them offer one gram of "fish oil" per capsule, but they only have a small amount (200-300mg) of actual Omega 3s (EPA and DHA).
    I use to supplement with a brand that had about 830 mgs DHA/EPA per capsule. To get that much in a more common fish oil capsule, you'd have to consume about 3-4, just to get about 900 mg DHA/EPA.

    Now consider that studies show in order to reap the most benefit from omega 3, you should be consuming 1-3 Grams of actual "Omega 3" (DHA/EPA) per day.

    That can typically amount to over 9 capsules of standard store bought fish oil (with low DHA/EPA content) per day.
    Newer research suggests that consuming more fish oil can lead to immune issues. Again, if you believe all the "studies" you'd be a confused motherfucker. So, you MUST be right about the studies you choose to believe in. And I guarantee you haven't read a single study cover to cover, nor do you care who funded it.

    My original point is that you drew a direct correlation to fish consumption and health. Your original statement:

    Seriously, more fish = more Omega 3 = healthier brain cells and CNS.
    A direct correlation like this couldn't be further from the truth because of external variables. There's no doubt in my mind that clean fresh fish is good for the human body. But life isn't lived in a controlled laboratory setting.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majrminer View Post
    Newer research suggests that consuming more fish oil can lead to immune issues. Again, if you believe all the "studies" you'd be a confused motherfucker. So, you MUST be right about the studies you choose to believe in. And I guarantee you haven't read a single study cover to cover, nor do you care who funded it.

    My original point is that you drew a direct correlation to fish consumption and health. Your original statement:



    A direct correlation like this couldn't be further from the truth because of external variables. There's no doubt in my mind that clean fresh fish is good for the human body. But life isn't lived in a controlled laboratory setting.
    Agree. Most these studies are funded by supp companies. I also believed in omega 3 supp hype, then read how actually omega 3 works, that u dont have to take it daily like the supp companies tell u. It was an article by a sport nutritionist. Eating fatty fish once or twice a week is enough for our omega3 needs. The one article was much more convincing than the abundance of articles, that recommend u take fish oil supplement.

  10. #10
    Mass Monster majrminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In pursuit
    Posts
    5,035
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayban View Post
    Agree. Most these studies are funded by supp companies. I also believed in omega 3 supp hype, then read how actually omega 3 works, that u dont have to take it daily like the supp companies tell u. It was an article by a sport nutritionist. Eating fatty fish once or twice a week is enough for our omega3 needs. The one article was much more convincing than the abundance of articles, that recommend u take fish oil supplement.
    Yeah, I think there's a place for fish oil supplements for those who just can't stand the taste of fish, or who don't like the smell when it cooks, as a couple examples. Let's use another example of how it may potentially be bad for you in larger doses: Fish oil thins the blood. That has not been proven to be what everybody needs. I don't know if thin blood is even good for you long term... the implications would seem to be good, but as we all know things that seem to be good are often bad for you long-term. It could cause a cascade of adverse effects in the body through complex correction mechanisms. Who knows? I don't think anyone really knows. They can certainly be of benefit, but to an extent, and in the right situations.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •