Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Squat with Proper Form: 3 Techniques for Maximum Development

Default How to Squat with Proper Form: 3 Techniques for Maximum Development

Hmm..

quote-
    "squatting to parallel (knee flexion of 90 degrees),"

Wouldn't that be squatting to perpendicular as opposed to parallel?

When I think about squatting to parallel I always went by:
    - if you drew a straight line between the top of the knee and the hip/thigh crease, it would be parallel to the floor.
    D E S T R O Y

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
    Hmm..

quote-
    "squatting to parallel (knee flexion of 90 degrees),"

Wouldn't that be squatting to perpendicular as opposed to parallel?

When I think about squatting to parallel I always went by:
    - if you drew a straight line between the top of the knee and the hip/thigh crease, it would be parallel to the floor.
    "Squatting to parallel" refers to your thigh being parallel to the floor.

Has anyone here ever had a lower back injury, tweak, or repeated tweaks that limit your ability to perform squats and/or leg presses? I lost some size on my quads from repeated low back injuries and not being able to consistently use heavy weight... trying desperately to regain that size because I want massive legs, not just big legs.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Last edited by miles14r; February 18th, 2015 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by majrminer View Post

Has anyone here ever had a lower back injury, tweak, or repeated tweaks that limit your ability to perform squats and/or leg presses? I lost some size on my quads from repeated low back injuries and not being able to consistently use heavy weight... trying desperately to regain that size because I want massive legs, not just big legs.
    This guy. You're going to need to be patient. Take at least a couple of weeks off from any exercise that aggravates your lower-back. During that time off, your top priority should be developing a stretching routine for your calves, hams, and hip. When getting back into it, making sure you're properly bracing your core can help a lot in terms of reducing stress on your lower-back. Also, you might want to invest in a pair of oly shoes. They allow you to stay more upright which takes the stress off your back and puts it on your quads

Quote Originally Posted by majrminer View Post

Upper leg to lower leg at 90 degrees would get nowhere near parallel.

I used to to always get lower back tweaks when I did 90 degree squats. The weight was too heavy for my body's overall strength. When I dropped the weight and started going deeper I developed better lower back strength and not a tweak since. In leg press its when the arse curls up at the bottom of the rep. I'd experiment with different foot positions, lower the weight and slow the rep and increase the reps. Good luck.
    D E S T R O Y

Quote Originally Posted by miles14r View Post
    This guy. You're going to need to be patient. Take at least a couple of weeks off from any exercise that aggravates your lower-back. During that time off, your top priority should be developing a stretching routine for your calves, hams, and hip. When getting back into it, making sure you're properly bracing your core can help a lot in terms of reducing stress on your lower-back. Also, you might want to invest in a pair of oly shoes. They allow you to stay more upright which takes the stress off your back and puts it on your quads

Thanks for the advice. I am working on my flexibility by stretching those areas a few times each day. I notice my hips get very tight these days from standing a lot at my job. When I was more sedentary throughout the day, my muscles actually stayed much more pliable and loose, and my joints felt a lot better. I'm also going to drop some good cash on a better pair of work shoes. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
    Upper leg to lower leg at 90 degrees would get nowhere near parallel.

I used to to always get lower back tweaks when I did 90 degree squats. The weight was too heavy for my body's overall strength. When I dropped the weight and started going deeper I developed better lower back strength and not a tweak since. In leg press its when the arse curls up at the bottom of the rep. I'd experiment with different foot positions, lower the weight and slow the rep and increase the reps. Good luck.
    George, I will take your advice and change foot positions and slow down the movement with lighter weights. I did that last night. I hit the leg press sled for the first time in over 6 months. I am not lifting for impressive strength anymore, just to maintain the size on my legs and hopefully increase it to where it used to be.

I'm also going to get some serious deep tissue work done soon. Maybe once a month to stay loose.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Something we should ALL know.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post

EXCELLENT examples! This really says it all.
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    EXCELLENT examples! This really says it all.
    Thanks for posting.
    It says a lot and I found it extremely interesting. However, are body mechanics the sole reason for people wussing out in depth? How many people have the extremes in body lengths that make the differences more than negligible? This video is a blank cheque for pussies as much as people with bonafide limb or bone length issues. Would this also have a bearing on people who stick 1500 on leg press, have hands pushing their knees and have a 2" rep range?

thanks for the vid
    D E S T R O Y

I think there are TONS of people that are sussing out in the gym - especially on legs.

But for me, someone who loved squats but has back mechanics from them, I'm tired of the new gym mantra of "if you don't squat, you don't lift".

This vid has helped me better understand my mechanics, and how to approach the squat (and then also look at other lifts in a similar fashion).

I think there are TONS of people that are sussing out in the gym - especially on legs.

But for me, someone who loved squats but has back mechanics from them, I'm tired of the new gym mantra of "if you don't squat, you don't lift".

This vid has helped me better understand my mechanics, and how to approach the squat (and then also look at other lifts in a similar fashion).
    Hacks, Leg Press, Smith Machine and various other pieces of equipment can all give you legs. Foot position, foot angle etc can all be fine tuned. I'd far rather see someone blitz any leg exercise than do shitty squats.
    D E S T R O Y

Brilliant Video. Makes me wonder just what sort of measurements would constitute say 'a short femur' or a 'short torso, for someone of any given height?

Thanks for posting it.

Would it sound odd if... my training partners and I have compared measurements?? lol

Not at all....how did you compare? Are you a similar height?

Yes, actually. I found that I have a very short tibia, and neck. So at 183cm/6', most of my height is proportionally between my knees and clavicle.

For example, if it rest my fist on my clavicle, and look forward, my chin rests on my fist. My bud has a long neck, and can put two fists in the same area.

Yes, actually. I found that I have a very short tibia, and neck. So at 183cm/6', most of my height is proportionally between my knees and clavicle.

For example, if it rest my fist on my clavicle, and look forward, my chin rests on my fist. My bud has a long neck, and can put two fists in the same area.

Impressive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast