Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dorian Yates: The Last Hurrah! - His Traumatic Finale at the 1997 Olympia

Default Dorian Yates: The Last Hurrah! - His Traumatic Finale at the 1997 Olympia

Peter, Dorian won his first Sandow in 92!

Just an edit you need to do on the first line.

Thank you Peter. Many people claim that Dorian was not in his best shape in 97 but this factor is always overlooked. No other bodybuilder on earth other than Dorian would have the guts and the condition to step on stage with a torn triceps. Dorian was a true warrior and this is why I have huge respect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mileman View Post
    Peter, Dorian won his first Sandow in 92!

Just an edit you need to do on the first line.
    thanks. Can't think how I did that.

Fixed it.

Great read Peter!!

Dorian was a real warrior.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

I wasnt a fan of Dorian at the time (Shawn was my dude), but after he retired I gained a shitload of respect for the man. Back then, there was no internet so Dorian seemed almost robotic. Shawn and Flex were shown in their fancy cars and nice gyms, and Dorian was in his dungeon. But after listening to his interviews on MD the dude was a warrior!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Great article. Probably my favorite bodybuilder of all time.

One of my favorite MD interviews was with Coleman and Flex where Coleman explains how he went from an also ran to Mr. Olympia in 98 with the help of Wheeler who basically laid out for him the differences between their 'supplementation' and recommended some additional gear. Dorian was a landmark Mr O, along with Arnold and Lee, however perhaps things worked out really well for him in that his forced early retirement ensured he would not lose the crown in competition. When you look at the 98 Olympia you can see how Ronnie compares to Nasser, Flex, Kevin, and Shawn which gives a pretty good idea how he would compare verse Dorian. His back and arms were even more massive than Yates' but Dorian probably still would have had slightly bigger quads (in 98 not after that) and a tighter midsection along with much better calves. I wonder if in actuality just like Lee haney's retirement with Yates at his heels, Ronnie's emergence played a large role in motivating Dorian's retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by bsilva View Post
    One of my favorite MD interviews was with Coleman and Flex where Coleman explains how he went from an also ran to Mr. Olympia in 98 with the help of Wheeler who basically laid out for him the differences between their 'supplementation' and recommended some additional gear. Dorian was a landmark Mr O, along with Arnold and Lee, however perhaps things worked out really well for him in that his forced early retirement ensured he would not lose the crown in competition. When you look at the 98 Olympia you can see how Ronnie compares to Nasser, Flex, Kevin, and Shawn which gives a pretty good idea how he would compare verse Dorian. His back and arms were even more massive than Yates' but Dorian probably still would have had slightly bigger quads (in 98 not after that) and a tighter midsection along with much better calves. I wonder if in actuality just like Lee haney's retirement with Yates at his heels, Ronnie's emergence played a large role in motivating Dorian's retirement.
    good comments bsilva. But I can assure you Ronnie's emergence (which didn't really happen until the May '98 San Fran, NY and Toronto shows) was nothing to do with Dorian's retirement. The reality is he realized in late summer '98 that he would never get that left triceps power back -- in fact a long way short. And if he couldn't give 100 percent in the gym he wouldn't settle for anything less.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Shawn and Flex were shown in their fancy cars and nice gyms, and Dorian was in his dungeon.
    It's a great contrast. Dorian in UK, with fucking time, cold and rain. And success in bodybuilding is quite the opposite, you live in Los Angeles, heat and surrounded by fame and hot girls.

Confrontation between Yates and Coleman would have been as epic as the rivalry between Haney and Yates.

It could've been epic but I wouldn't call Haney vs. Yates a true rivalry as they only competed once at the 91 O (McGrough even addressed this in an article: http://www.musculardevelopment.com/n...l#.VRWBq3aUzGc). A lot of critics claim it was a controversial win but in my opinion Lee was still the better physique that year with a narrower waist, fuller chest and better arms. Of course Yates had more quad sweep and great condition but Haney still had better separation and they both had amazing backs. Apples and oranges.

Both great posers too albeit drastically different styles. I think people let the new face effect and rock music sway their opinions to some degree.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyx...pia-1991_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1g...-olympia_sport

Quote Originally Posted by bsilva View Post
    It could've been epic but I wouldn't call Haney vs. Yates a true rivalry as they only competed once at the 91 O (McGrough even addressed this in an article: http://www.musculardevelopment.com/n...l#.VRWBq3aUzGc). A lot of critics claim it was a controversial win but in my opinion Lee was still the better physique that year with a narrower waist, fuller chest and better arms. Of course Yates had more quad sweep and great condition but Haney still had better separation and they both had amazing backs. Apples and oranges.
    Yates himself admits that Lee was the better bodybuilder that day

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon cane View Post
    Yates himself admits that Lee was the better bodybuilder that day
    Correct.

Yates or Haney? Any of 2 could have won this year and nobody could say that is unfair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast