Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Unconditionally Speaking! The Takeaway From The Europa Supershow

Default Unconditionally Speaking! The Takeaway From The Europa Supershow

If it's a hard secret to master, then why did the guys in the 90's manage to attain condition despite also having similar muscle mass?

As Dorian said recently, it's because they're relying too much on drug and carb-up protocols. It's laziness.

Congrats to Fouad though he looked awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Julienne_Salad View Post
    If it's a hard secret to master, then why did the guys in the 90's manage to attain condition despite also having similar muscle mass?

As Dorian said recently, it's because they're relying too much on drug and carb-up protocols. It's laziness.

Congrats to Fouad though he looked awesome.
    THIS. Dorian, Kevin, Nasser and many others showed up in shape. Ronnie was diced at over 270 a few times. People need to stop making excuses for these current pros.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

"5) Due to 1 and 3 by the time the contest prep phase rolls around they look like the Michelin Man."

According to Aceto's logic, his own client Rhoden shouldn't be able to get into shape. He currently looks like the Michelin Man, whilst Dennis Wolf was the leanest and had the smallest waist on stage at the Pittsburgh Pro posedown.

???

It is my strong opinion that Rhoden may be a bit bigger at the O, but that won't help his look. Rhoden doesn't need to be bigger, but apparently Aceto thinks that's the only way he'll win the O. I disagree. Phil and Kai are on the decline. If Rhoden could maintain or improve (like Dex has), and improve his conditioning, he could sneak out an Olympia win. Problem is, Wolf is the only one of the top 4 that is making improvements. Rhoden is only going to make his prep harder by being bigger.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Quote Originally Posted by majrminer View Post
    "5) Due to 1 and 3 by the time the contest prep phase rolls around they look like the Michelin Man."

According to Aceto's logic, his own client Rhoden shouldn't be able to get into shape. He currently looks like the Michelin Man, whilst Dennis Wolf was the leanest and had the smallest waist on stage at the Pittsburgh Pro posedown.

???

It is my strong opinion that Rhoden may be a bit bigger at the O, but that won't help his look. Rhoden doesn't need to be bigger, but apparently Aceto thinks that's the only way he'll win the O. I disagree. Phil and Kai are on the decline. If Rhoden could maintain or improve (like Dex has), and improve his conditioning, he could sneak out an Olympia win. Problem is, Wolf is the only one of the top 4 that is making improvements. Rhoden is only going to make his prep harder by being bigger.
    shawn has a really bad back. Until he fixes that he's not moving up. Oh and grows a personality that might help

I don't see Phil on a decline at all.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I don't see Phil on a decline at all.
    Me neither. I think after last year he is driven this year to REALLY deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    Me neither. I think after last year he is driven this year to REALLY deliver.
    That's not a question. Clearly he wants to deliver. But his midsection looks to be growing on par with Kai's. If the judges vote for that, well... I believe they unfortunately will.

That's not a question. Clearly he wants to deliver. But his midsection looks to be growing on par with Kai's. If the judges vote for that, well... I believe they unfortunately will.
    i see what you did there

I don't know which is the problem, but the current process of drying are shit.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Interesting article as ever Peter as you and many others have eluded to the lack of condition seen on the pro stages isn't a new phenomenon. Even at the Olympia which is suppose to be the ultimate in terms of ripped physiques and men with cartoonish proportions athletes still come in soft. You can see guys in better shape at the NABBA Universe. I wonder if the pro's actually take heed of such articles or if the new pro's are that obsessed with generating a following on social media that they dismiss such critiques.

I agree with you majrminer I think Phil is at a critical point in his career just now. He's taken a lot of stick since his performance last year. Its just my opinion but I don't think has achieved the same level of conditioning since he first took the Olympia title back in 2011. He's got bigger but I'm not convinced he's better the latest incarnation at the 2014 Olympia was for me his worst Olympia showing to day. He looked bloated, lacked his previous crisp detail and his midsection had gone which really hurt his symmetry. If we never had all the antics between Kai and Phil there might have been far more scrutiny directed towards his physique. Just my two cent.

Quote Originally Posted by AChappell View Post
    Interesting article as ever Peter as you and many others have eluded to the lack of condition seen on the pro stages isn't a new phenomenon. Even at the Olympia which is suppose to be the ultimate in terms of ripped physiques and men with cartoonish proportions athletes still come in soft. You can see guys in better shape at the NABBA Universe. I wonder if the pro's actually take heed of such articles or if the new pro's are that obsessed with generating a following on social media that they dismiss such critiques.

I agree with you majrminer I think Phil is at a critical point in his career just now. He's taken a lot of stick since his performance last year. Its just my opinion but I don't think has achieved the same level of conditioning since he first took the Olympia title back in 2011. He's got bigger but I'm not convinced he's better the latest incarnation at the 2014 Olympia was for me his worst Olympia showing to day. He looked bloated, lacked his previous crisp detail and his midsection had gone which really hurt his symmetry. If we never had all the antics between Kai and Phil there might have been far more scrutiny directed towards his physique. Just my two cent.
    I agree with you Achappell. The last several Olympias we got pumped saying we have 15 or whatever quality guys in it and how hard it will be to make the top ten and then only 5 or 6 are in shape. And yes the NABBA guys seem harder as do amateurs at the IFBB World Champs. I agree with you also on Phil Heath, his best was his first win 2011. I just have a feeling he will eclipse that this year. We'll see in September. By the by, I ran the Aberdeen Marathon in 1981. The wind was howling -- toughest marathon I ever did. Another Scottish connection, my parents were born in Glasgow. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    I agree with you Achappell. The last several Olympias we got pumped saying we have 15 or whatever quality guys in it and how hard it will be to make the top ten and then only 5 or 6 are in shape. And yes the NABBA guys seem harder as do amateurs at the IFBB World Champs. I agree with you also on Phil Heath, his best was his first win 2011. I just have a feeling he will eclipse that this year. We'll see in September. By the by, I ran the Aberdeen Marathon in 1981. The wind was howling -- toughest marathon I ever did. Another Scottish connection, my parents were born in Glasgow. Best wishes.
    I have a feeling he may well present a different version of himself this year - good enough to win, like Ronnie in 2004... many think 1998 was Ronnie's best. We may come to find that Phil's best was 2011, but he's good enough to win year after year. I DO NOT think he or anyone else is good enough to win when they're not in condition for the biggest show of the year. They should be penalized accordingly, not handed a win based on the fact that he's more complete.

Quote Originally Posted by AChappell View Post

I agree with you majrminer I think Phil is at a critical point in his career just now. He's taken a lot of stick since his performance last year. Its just my opinion but I don't think has achieved the same level of conditioning since he first took the Olympia title back in 2011. He's got bigger but I'm not convinced he's better the latest incarnation at the 2014 Olympia was for me his worst Olympia showing to day. He looked bloated, lacked his previous crisp detail and his midsection had gone which really hurt his symmetry. If we never had all the antics between Kai and Phil there might have been far more scrutiny directed towards his physique. Just my two cent
    Unfortunately, Wolf can come in better year after year, making everyone look like bloated infants, and the highest the judges will place him is 2nd. I hope he wins it. But when everyone makes a crap claim that "a 90% Phil is good enough to win" or, "you gotta knock out the champ" then I'm sorry, I don't even want to watch the Olympia. I'm my opinion, if Wolf is bigger and more peeled than Phil, he should win.

Muscle Head

Actually, Shawn Rhoden needs to bring his upper body up to match his legs, right?

???

[/QUOTE]

Huh?