Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Getting Hard & Dry at Contest Time - Banishing the Water Demon

  1. #1
    Administrator Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    noisserped
    Posts
    17,744
    Gender
    Male

    Default Getting Hard & Dry at Contest Time - Banishing the Water Demon


  2. #2
    Little Guy Scottw1105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Completely the opposite theory that Matt Porter has towards how/when to cut off water. Gradual vs Abrupt.. I'm personally trying Matt's method next week.. The gradual method explained here left me flat as a pancake last year.

  3. #3
    Muscle Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    49
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    not the best advice

  4. #4
    Spotter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    277
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I ve tried this method and it was a disaster I flattened out beyond recognition! Never cut water ever! The best to date results I have and i do the same with my athletes is to keep them drinking up to the day before the show. Then cut water in the evening and have a nice salty fatty meal then go with slight sips till contest day. before pumping just drink a small cup of water and after prejudging another to keep you going.

  5. #5
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,814
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    If the show is on Saturday, Friday 5 liters of water and cut in the last two meals along with salt.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  6. #6
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,814
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    If your muscles are soft although your body fat is low, that means you still need to get the water in to help form muscle glycogen.
    Many guys at this point would go to remove water, which would be the opposite of what they need to do.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    You had to be there
    Posts
    10,484
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Every time I dropped water prior to a show my physique got worse. The only time I saw this strategy help competitors get sharper is with the use of pharmaceutical diuretics. Otherwise it is a shape-killer. I am curious to try what would be the result doing the exact opposite : drinking more on the day of the show. Would'nt the body, having more then enough water, be tempted to drop more to balance itself?

  8. #8
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,814
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINic View Post
    Every time I dropped water prior to a show my physique got worse. The only time I saw this strategy help competitors get sharper is with the use of pharmaceutical diuretics. Otherwise it is a shape-killer. I am curious to try what would be the result doing the exact opposite : drinking more on the day of the show. Would'nt the body, having more then enough water, be tempted to drop more to balance itself?
    You increase the water pre-days before to cut? If you do that, you need not diuretics, but is uncomfortable as hell.

    Anyway, i can be wrong, you do not listen to me and talk with a experienced coach.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINic View Post
    Every time I dropped water prior to a show my physique got worse. The only time I saw this strategy help competitors get sharper is with the use of pharmaceutical diuretics. Otherwise it is a shape-killer. I am curious to try what would be the result doing the exact opposite : drinking more on the day of the show. Would'nt the body, having more then enough water, be tempted to drop more to balance itself?
    the bottom line is: you have to be in shape at least a week before. miracles dont happen overnight, dont do anything new, get your water intake sky high, it will make your skin go thin and start carbing up gradually in a moderate fashion for two-three days. you will not spill over and you wont be flat. this is the natty way, but i understand dorian was not a natty and has been saying something similar so all the "last day magic" is a bunch of bogus broscience for lazy people

  10. #10
    Mass Monster majrminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In pursuit
    Posts
    5,029
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Most advanced hard-training individuals can get leaner and dryer any given week just by keeping water intake high and eating a bunch of hamburgers once or twice a week. Not the most scientific, but it works to lean out in pre-contest prep.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    You had to be there
    Posts
    10,484
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    You increase the water pre-days before to cut? If you do that, you need not diuretics, but is uncomfortable as hell.

    Anyway, i can be wrong, you do not listen to me and talk with a experienced coach.
    Uncomfortable to increase water? How is that? You just drink more. Or else I did not get your point?

  12. #12
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,814
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINic View Post
    Uncomfortable to increase water? How is that? You just drink more. Or else I did not get your point?
    Yes, that's it. Drinking and piss all day/night, is not comfortable.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  13. #13
    Spotter hankdiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    333
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I cut water for the the first few years of competing. I tried many different protocols. Now, the method I use is to keep it in the whole way. I drink water as I normally would till morning off. I'll have a glass with first meal and then just sips after that. I look full and dry now every time. I'll NEVER cut water or use diuretics again.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    Yes, that's it. Drinking and piss all day/night, is not comfortable.
    Trying to sleep dehydrated isn't either … You gotta find the right balance. Or a method that works great for you. And unless you work with somebody that really knows his shit. It might take you some shows to figure it out by yourself, or you're a quick learner and figure it out in your first,2nd or 3rd show !

    But usually the less extreme the better. (which is odd, but the body tends to work like that ^^)
    Even if Joe Weider sold useless supplements that gave diarrhea to generation of bodybuilders, he's still a legend and cannot be considered a scammer

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    You had to be there
    Posts
    10,484
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    Yes, that's it. Drinking and piss all day/night, is not comfortable.
    Not really, but at that point in dieting there is worse, like having almost zero carbs for days lol. So increasing water did not seem too bad to me lol

  16. #16
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,814
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcua View Post
    Trying to sleep dehydrated isn't either … You gotta find the right balance. Or a method that works great for you. And unless you work with somebody that really knows his shit. It might take you some shows to figure it out by yourself, or you're a quick learner and figure it out in your first,2nd or 3rd show !

    But usually the less extreme the better. (which is odd, but the body tends to work like that ^^)
    Yes, but it seems that the idea extreme of tricks is seductive, lol.

    Hank says looks like a good method to try, simple and effective.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •