Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Getting Hard & Dry at Contest Time - Banishing the Water Demon

Default Getting Hard & Dry at Contest Time - Banishing the Water Demon

Completely the opposite theory that Matt Porter has towards how/when to cut off water. Gradual vs Abrupt.. I'm personally trying Matt's method next week.. The gradual method explained here left me flat as a pancake last year.

Muscle Head

not the best advice

Spotter

I ve tried this method and it was a disaster I flattened out beyond recognition! Never cut water ever! The best to date results I have and i do the same with my athletes is to keep them drinking up to the day before the show. Then cut water in the evening and have a nice salty fatty meal then go with slight sips till contest day. before pumping just drink a small cup of water and after prejudging another to keep you going.

If the show is on Saturday, Friday 5 liters of water and cut in the last two meals along with salt.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

If your muscles are soft although your body fat is low, that means you still need to get the water in to help form muscle glycogen.
    Many guys at this point would go to remove water, which would be the opposite of what they need to do.

Banned

Every time I dropped water prior to a show my physique got worse. The only time I saw this strategy help competitors get sharper is with the use of pharmaceutical diuretics. Otherwise it is a shape-killer. I am curious to try what would be the result doing the exact opposite : drinking more on the day of the show. Would'nt the body, having more then enough water, be tempted to drop more to balance itself?

Quote Originally Posted by KINic View Post
    Every time I dropped water prior to a show my physique got worse. The only time I saw this strategy help competitors get sharper is with the use of pharmaceutical diuretics. Otherwise it is a shape-killer. I am curious to try what would be the result doing the exact opposite : drinking more on the day of the show. Would'nt the body, having more then enough water, be tempted to drop more to balance itself?
    You increase the water pre-days before to cut? If you do that, you need not diuretics, but is uncomfortable as hell.

Anyway, i can be wrong, you do not listen to me and talk with a experienced coach.

the bottom line is: you have to be in shape at least a week before. miracles dont happen overnight, dont do anything new, get your water intake sky high, it will make your skin go thin and start carbing up gradually in a moderate fashion for two-three days. you will not spill over and you wont be flat. this is the natty way, but i understand dorian was not a natty and has been saying something similar so all the "last day magic" is a bunch of bogus broscience for lazy people

Most advanced hard-training individuals can get leaner and dryer any given week just by keeping water intake high and eating a bunch of hamburgers once or twice a week. Not the most scientific, but it works to lean out in pre-contest prep.
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    You increase the water pre-days before to cut? If you do that, you need not diuretics, but is uncomfortable as hell.

Anyway, i can be wrong, you do not listen to me and talk with a experienced coach.
    Uncomfortable to increase water? How is that? You just drink more. Or else I did not get your point?

Uncomfortable to increase water? How is that? You just drink more. Or else I did not get your point?
    Yes, that's it. Drinking and piss all day/night, is not comfortable.

I cut water for the the first few years of competing. I tried many different protocols. Now, the method I use is to keep it in the whole way. I drink water as I normally would till morning off. I'll have a glass with first meal and then just sips after that. I look full and dry now every time. I'll NEVER cut water or use diuretics again.

Trying to sleep dehydrated isn't either … You gotta find the right balance. Or a method that works great for you. And unless you work with somebody that really knows his shit. It might take you some shows to figure it out by yourself, or you're a quick learner and figure it out in your first,2nd or 3rd show !

But usually the less extreme the better. (which is odd, but the body tends to work like that ^^)
    Even if Joe Weider sold useless supplements that gave diarrhea to generation of bodybuilders, he's still a legend and cannot be considered a scammer

Banned

Not really, but at that point in dieting there is worse, like having almost zero carbs for days lol. So increasing water did not seem too bad to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by davidcua View Post
    Trying to sleep dehydrated isn't either … You gotta find the right balance. Or a method that works great for you. And unless you work with somebody that really knows his shit. It might take you some shows to figure it out by yourself, or you're a quick learner and figure it out in your first,2nd or 3rd show !

But usually the less extreme the better. (which is odd, but the body tends to work like that ^^)
    Yes, but it seems that the idea extreme of tricks is seductive, lol.

Hank says looks like a good method to try, simple and effective.