Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dorian Yates: 30 Years Ago - Casting His First Shadow

Default Dorian Yates: 30 Years Ago - Casting His First Shadow

I love all these stories Peter... Keep em coming
    Saw him just the once, it was at Paula's Mansfield show and he was guest posing. He was white as a sheet and and off season massive, but still with clear abs - must have been close to 290 and still the biggest 'in shape' human ive ever seen.
    It left me gobsmacked.

The early days Peter described was the same time I and others were avidly following month to month in Muscle and Co then Pumping Press. It seemed that every couple of months Dorian would improve a bit more. Step by step up a ladder only stopping in 97.
    D E S T R O Y

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

I didn't appreciate Dorian until after he retired! I was a Shawn Ray fan and didn't see why he lost each year to Dorian. Then, I went back and looked at pics and vids and the man was like granite!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    I didn't appreciate Dorian until after he retired! I was a Shawn Ray fan and didn't see why he lost each year to Dorian. Then, I went back and looked at pics and vids and the man was like granite!
    I was the reverse. I never really looked at Shawn as a threat. Nasser, Kevin and Flex were my perceived threats. However, I was wrong, because Shawn is on a par with the afore mentioned. Also took me an age to appreciate Samir...
    D E S T R O Y

A lot of times pictures in magazines do little justice for the taller than average bodybuilders. Although I could tell by the pictures of the Night of Champions in 1990 where Dorian took 2nd to Momo, that he was pretty big but the "grainy" look he had was very apparent. Always wondered why he didn't compete in the Mr. O that year. Maybe the testing, which was a joke to me. Maybe Peter can tell us. I never appreciated Haney until I seen a video of him standing next to Gaspari & the rest at the 1988 Mr. Olympia. Then I knew why he won every year. I agree with Lee beating Dorian in 1991, but it was close as hell! Haney was thicker at the time, barely, and Dorian was a lot dryer & had way better legs. but standing relaxed Haney beat him. Clearly Dorian would of ended Haney's reign the next year, but I also believe Ronnie would of ended Dorian's in 1998. Coleman is the only guy in the history of bodybuilding that would of beat Dorian at his best, which obviously was 1993. I just wish Charles Clairmonte would've took it to the next level like Yates. Would of been great to see Charles cut at about 275lbs. The guy was put together perfectly in my opinion. He also obviously got robbed of placings because of him competing in the other federation. There's no way in hell anyone can tell me that Porter Cottrel beat Charles at the 1993 Night of Champions. Or the Olympia that year. He got justice that year tho at the English Grand Prix where he beat everyone that beat him at the Mr. O except for Yates, who didn't compete.

Quote Originally Posted by king kong kurbis View Post
    A lot of times pictures in magazines do little justice for the taller than average bodybuilders. Although I could tell by the pictures of the Night of Champions in 1990 where Dorian took 2nd to Momo, that he was pretty big but the "grainy" look he had was very apparent. Always wondered why he didn't compete in the Mr. O that year. Maybe the testing, which was a joke to me. Maybe Peter can tell us. I never appreciated Haney until I seen a video of him standing next to Gaspari & the rest at the 1988 Mr. Olympia. Then I knew why he won every year. I agree with Lee beating Dorian in 1991, but it was close as hell! Haney was thicker at the time, barely, and Dorian was a lot dryer & had way better legs. but standing relaxed Haney beat him. Clearly Dorian would of ended Haney's reign the next year, but I also believe Ronnie would of ended Dorian's in 1998. Coleman is the only guy in the history of bodybuilding that would of beat Dorian at his best, which obviously was 1993. I just wish Charles Clairmonte would've took it to the next level like Yates. Would of been great to see Charles cut at about 275lbs. The guy was put together perfectly in my opinion. He also obviously got robbed of placings because of him competing in the other federation. There's no way in hell anyone can tell me that Porter Cottrel beat Charles at the 1993 Night of Champions. Or the Olympia that year. He got justice that year tho at the English Grand Prix where he beat everyone that beat him at the Mr. O except for Yates, who didn't compete.
    You know your stuff. Solid post.
    D E S T R O Y

Clairmonte had EVERYTHING to be a top 5 Olympian! His condition at the 93 NOC was unreal!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Behemoth

Clairmonte had EVERYTHING to be a top 5 Olympian! His condition at the 93 NOC was unreal!
    Definitely! Stunning physique on him. Hugely underappreciated by the bodybuilding world at-large it seems!

When Dorian started his prep for the 1990 Night of Champions he was under the belief that the contest was drug tested just as the Arnold Classic had been earlier in the year. He did his homework to pass the test checking in with the powerlifters at the renowned Forum Gym in Birmingham - those guys were experts at passing tests. In the end he didn't have to compete drug free but he made up his mind months before the Night of Champions that he would only do that show that year even if he qualified. In fact he was adamant that if he didn't finish in the top three at his pro debut he would retire. If he couldn't do that he didn't see any sense in putting so much hard work and dedication into what he was doing. Guy is a one-off I tell you.

I agree with this points, but in 1993 NOC i have Munzter winning.

http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...rell-Vs-Munzer
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Banned

Sent from my EK-GC200 using Tapatalk

If you can find pics from the English Grand Prix in 1993 where he beat Flex, Kevin & everybody else except Dorian, you'll see "unreal" conditioning. If I recall Charles was on the cover of Muscular Development after that win, in red & blue striped spandex shorts hitting a front double bicep's pose. He was the most underrated bodybuilder in my opinion. Him, and then Aaron Baker. Look at Aaron's conditioning at the 1998 Mr. Olympia, and he wasn't even in the top 10!!! WTF!!??

thanks George

Thanks Peter. Great reading as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    I agree with this points, but in 1993 NOC i have Munzter winning.

http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...rell-Vs-Munzer
    Munzer had Porter beat IMO
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY