Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lee Haney: "Too Many Gurus" The 8x Mr. Olympia Says Become Your Own Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Guys are also convinced that if they can 'get fuller,' they will win. They think being fuller will magically transform their physique. It won't. Your physique is what it is. The same shape, mass, and strong and weak bodyparts aren't going to be magically better if you can somehow look the same on stage as you do pumped during a chest workout. Rarely have I ever seen guys lose a show because they were flat. Maybe at the level of the Mr. O or ASC where the top guys are very close, it matters. Almost never at the regional level and only rarely at the National level have I ever seen someone I thought would have won had they just been fuller. Have I seen people that would have won if they had been in better condition? A THOUSAND TIMES!!!
    Exactly!

Over the past several years, I've judged hundred's of regional level bodybuilders.
    Rarely did a guy get placed lower due to a lack of "fullness".

90% of the time, they were not ripped enough.
    Simple.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

The argument FOR gurus seems to be that the drug situation is so much more complicated now that guys can't possibly figure it out on their own to time out all their slin, carbs, diuretics, etc perfectly. My argument back would be, why do so many of these guys show up either flat or watery?? And why were the guys 20-30 years ago in much better condition in general, consistently? Gurus don't seem to be making better physiques on stage.
    The guys 20-30 years ago weren't 5'6 and weighing 230-240lbs. Think about it, Dexter at 5'6 weighs just about as much as Lee did at 5'11. There's your big difference. They were in such good shape back then because it was a lot easier to cut up a 5'8 215-220lbs (Gaspari or Quinn) bodybuilder than it is now a days to cut up a 5'8 260lbs bodybuilder like Greene.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Bingo!

Look at how shredded Zane got back in 1970's and he was his own guru.
    Lee mentioned Gaspari's incredible , ripped conditioning accomplished WITHOUT a guru in the 1980's!

Drugs have always been part of hardcore bodybuilding, but so has strict dieting and intense training.
    Shawn Ray has been rightly critical of the LACK of sharp muscularity in the line ups of modern contests.

In my observations, way too much attention is now on extreme drug regimes and gimmicks.
    Strict, rigid, old fashion , contest prep DIET will always be the overwhelming factor in getting ripped
    Bad example, Frank weighed what, 175lbs?? Can't compare him to anybody nowadays, plus if Frank were competing now he wouldn't place top 15 in a 3rd tiered show, let alone qualify for the Olympia. Nobody wants to see a Frank Zane nowadays!!! They want to see someone as tall as Frank but 250+lbs! Of course he was shredded, Ethiopians are shredded!!!

Much respect to guys like Wolf and Evan who do it on their own. You can argue that they don't nail it all the time, but neither do the guys using coaches.
    They took what they were taught by a "Guru", and took it to the next step with their own bodies. Do you think that Art Atwood or Chris Cormier didn't help their clients with the knowledge they learned from Chad?? Of course!! Seems like everyone that worked with Chad became a guru & is helping others get ready for shows. Dennis Wolf learned a shit load from Dennis James & still asks him each year for advice before the Mr. O.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    Perhaps so, in some cases.
    But the 90s guys also seemed to have better and deeper separation.
    Yeah and they weighed a whole lot less too!!! Again look at Dexter's weight now & look at someone his height and structure back then. They weighed 30-40lbs less!!!

So the argument for guru's is that its a lot more complicated with peptides etc....yet most everyone looks worse than 20years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by king kong kurbis View Post
    The guys 20-30 years ago weren't 5'6 and weighing 230-240lbs. Think about it, Dexter at 5'6 weighs just about as much as Lee did at 5'11. There's your big difference. They were in such good shape back then because it was a lot easier to cut up a 5'8 215-220lbs (Gaspari or Quinn) bodybuilder than it is now a days to cut up a 5'8 260lbs bodybuilder like Greene.
    People lie a lot about their weights.
    D E S T R O Y

Yeah and they weighed a whole lot less too!!! Again look at Dexter's weight now & look at someone his height and structure back then. They weighed 30-40lbs less!!!
    is that you GF?

Juggernaut

Hmmm 8x Mr O and one of the GOAT or a lying bullshitter who's all about da carb. Let me think who I would trust....

Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bhuge View Post
    tell me the lastime a bodybuilder won the mr olympia without a coach (guru).
    then tell me they are a waste of time.
    Bodybuilding/nutrition is alot different to when lee haney competed.
    Yates

Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Condition, condition, condition!!! Especially at regional shows and National shows, you come in pealed, you will do well. We all want to go onstage as full as we are after a good back and chest workout, shit if DJ could have did the O at 4 weeks out he would have won! LOL
    Agree and this is exactly what Weinberger said on PBW!! It's not about the size. Take note Big Ramy's advisors!

Yates - 250-270 shredded, no guru. Don't use the excuse that big guys have such a harder time getting in shape. It's not like their bodies hoard fat. These men are all the genetic elite with DNA programmed to build muscle and stay lean.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
    People lie a lot about their weights.
    Subtract 10lbs from what a pro says they weigh and 1 inch from their height
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Pretty valid point..
    Why so Serious?

I must say though lee has a first hand experience about it all but not every bodybuilder like him, there are some who just can't do preparation calculations on their own & I know a tone of amateurs who rely on coaches for this reason only, another thing is drugs effects on their mind, during cutting drugs effect on their behavior also so they can't think straight that is also a reason why they need a guru.. another problem with self preparation is selecting the right combo for you there is gigabytes of data available on net but how could someone select what's right for him & what's not, everyone is selling his goods..that is also a reason to hire a proper knowledgeable guru (who even without competing in some cases ) knows better just because he has experimented on various types of bodies, so you think one of the cycle & training formula will work for you also..
    Why so Serious?

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xxbillyxx View Post
    I must say though lee has a first hand experience about it all but not every bodybuilder like him, there are some who just can't do preparation calculations on their own & I know a tone of amateurs who rely on coaches for this reason only, another thing is drugs effects on their mind, during cutting drugs effect on their behavior also so they can't think straight that is also a reason why they need a guru.. another problem with self preparation is selecting the right combo for you there is gigabytes of data available on net but how could someone select what's right for him & what's not, everyone is selling his goods..that is also a reason to hire a proper knowledgeable guru (who even without competing in some cases ) knows better just because he has experimented on various types of bodies, so you think one of the cycle & training formula will work for you also..
    KISS......Keep It Simple Sweetheart! But everyone is now a guru. The 4th place Bikini girl at the Ms. YMCA is a guru, the 4th place girl in WPD at the Southern States is a guru. Some are qualified, most are not.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    KISS......Keep It Simple Sweetheart! But everyone is now a guru. The 4th place Bikini girl at the Ms. YMCA is a guru, the 4th place girl in WPD at the Southern States is a guru. Some are qualified, most are not.
    The online coach has replaced the personal trainer as far as the generic job for a competitor.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast