Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lee Haney: "Too Many Gurus" The 8x Mr. Olympia Says Become Your Own Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    Really? I dont see anyone coming in the shape of Shawn, or Flex, or Levrone or many others.
    Plenty of guys at this years Olympia had better conditioning than what Flex had barring the 1993 and 1998 AC.

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Hard to compare anyone to Flex in 1993/1998 bc that was not human!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Nobody come close to Dorian's freaky shredded grainy look other than may be Branch Warren but his torn body parts doesn't look pleasing to eyes anymore..
    But also don't underestimate our current top 4 in open & Flex/Jose in 212..
    We just don't want to appreciate their efforts now let 5-10 years pass then this Dexter will be GOLD standers for conditioning & Phil will be the perfect example of conditioning+mass+roundness..Shawn will be 2010s flex wheeler & wolf will be a prime example of dry & lean body..
    Why so Serious?

It would seem that some of the guys who were competing in the 90's could abdicate the same protocols being used then, to bring someone into a present-day show with that 90's look... but it isn't/hasn't happened.

Quote Originally Posted by xxbillyxx View Post
    Nobody come close to Dorian's freaky shredded grainy look other than may be Branch Warren but his torn body parts doesn't look pleasing to eyes anymore..
    But also don't underestimate our current top 4 in open & Flex/Jose in 212..
    We just don't want to appreciate their efforts now let 5-10 years pass then this Dexter will be GOLD standers for conditioning & Phil will be the perfect example of conditioning+mass+roundness..Shawn will be 2010s flex wheeler & wolf will be a prime example of dry & lean body..
    Excellent post! Totally agree. At the time, I didn't appreciate what Dorian brought to the table as I was a Shawn and Flex fan, but now, Dorian was damn good!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Quote Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter View Post
    It would seem that some of the guys who were competing in the 90's could abdicate the same protocols being used then, to bring someone into a present-day show with that 90's look... but it isn't/hasn't happened.
    just dump the slin and diet hard. thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Victor Richards and Lee Haney
    Richards is a really nice dude.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoso View Post
    Everyone talks about conditioning of the 90's. I can agree there were more guys in better shape in a given line up and more consistent. I would argue however that the most conditioned guys now are more conditioned than guys in the 90's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by lou0178 View Post
    Richards is a really nice dude.
    Huge too!!! Saw him at 94 O and I swear I have no clue how he tied his shoes he was so big!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

In the 1988 Mr. O (they were all weighed that year) the most ripped guy was Berry Demey. What did he weigh? 227lbs! Okay he's what 6'0-6'1? Look at another bodybuilder who is competing now or recently who is the same height. Let's say Gunter or Toney Freeman. What did Gunter weigh? Around 300lbs! Toney weighs around 270-290lbs? even if he exaggerates he's at least 250lbs!! Strydom is 6'1 and he was 229lbs, shredded!! The guys back then have no where the density as guys now a days. Whether its the insulin or more GH, regardless, back then nobody weighed as much as the guys do now. Especially the shorter guys. That's why Lee Labrada got out in my opinion. He was under 200lbs, just about the same height as Dexter but weighed way less. Obviously Dex did what he had to do to keep up with the trend. I remember the one day I picked up a mag, it was early 2000's and was like wow!! He really got thick as fuck!!! Slin, GH, whatever he did it worked, but he stayed diced and shredded!!! And kept the small waist to boot!!!

Spotter

if bodybuilders want to spend their money to have someone come up with a game plan for them I don't see the problem with that ! I just think the term guru is being used too frequently ......I'm sure some of the so called gurus are good but for every one that knows what they are doing there is probably a hundred that don't !

Quote Originally Posted by king kong kurbis View Post
    In the 1988 Mr. O (they were all weighed that year) the most ripped guy was Berry Demey. What did he weigh? 227lbs! Okay he's what 6'0-6'1? Look at another bodybuilder who is competing now or recently who is the same height. Let's say Gunter or Toney Freeman. What did Gunter weigh? Around 300lbs! Toney weighs around 270-290lbs? even if he exaggerates he's at least 250lbs!! Strydom is 6'1 and he was 229lbs, shredded!! The guys back then have no where the density as guys now a days. Whether its the insulin or more GH, regardless, back then nobody weighed as much as the guys do now. Especially the shorter guys. That's why Lee Labrada got out in my opinion. He was under 200lbs, just about the same height as Dexter but weighed way less. Obviously Dex did what he had to do to keep up with the trend. I remember the one day I picked up a mag, it was early 2000's and was like wow!! He really got thick as fuck!!! Slin, GH, whatever he did it worked, but he stayed diced and shredded!!! And kept the small waist to boot!!!
    Ok, that's the evolution of pro bodybuilders.

BUT, how does that explain why most bikini babes and MPD guys think they need a guru to prep?
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Ok, that's the evolution of pro bodybuilders.

BUT, how does that explain why most bikini babes and MPD guys think they need a guru to prep?
    The sport is full of very insecure people for a start.

But how many pro MP guys do you see out of shape? If the guru is working for them why put it down?

Quote Originally Posted by king kong kurbis View Post
    i think insulin is the biggest reason for "bloofy" muscle, but pros today also jump really early on gh and slin. they try to add a lot of muscle quick, while guys back then improved maybe 3-5 lbs at most per years you will hear how pros today pack on 10-20 lbs a year. the quality of that muscle cant be as good.
    i also think dorian recently mentioned how slin was the reason why his detailes got washed out in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by m87r View Post
    The sport is full of very insecure people for a start.

But how many pro MP guys do you see out of shape? If the guru is working for them why put it down?
    I think the top MPD guys have great physiques.
    I wish they competed as bodybuilders in their wt class and poses .

I was making a snarky comment and you're post makes valid point.
    Question: Do regional /state level competitors really need a guru to get in shape? No!

For example, I could ride to my grocery store in a chauffer driven stretch limo or drive my own car.
    The end result would be the same, except I'd spend a lot more $$$ going in the limo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by bhuge View Post
    tell me the lastime a bodybuilder won the mr olympia without a coach (guru).
    then tell me they are a waste of time.
    Bodybuilding/nutrition is alot different to when lee haney competed.
    lol ya ok, you act like there is some secret knowledge that a "guru has access to that the rest of us dont

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast