Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men's Physique Division | Will It Take Over from Bodybuilding?

Default Men's Physique Division | Will It Take Over from Bodybuilding?

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Here is the thing...if it wasnt for bbing, NONE of the other classes would exsist! Bodybuilding will always be the MAIN draw! Nobody buys a ticket to the ASC or Olympia to see Sadik or Jeremy.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Here is the thing...if it wasnt for bbing, NONE of the other classes would exsist! Bodybuilding will always be the MAIN draw! Nobody buys a ticket to the ASC or Olympia to see Sadik or Jeremy.
    Those would be interesting ticket numbers to see, because I think it might be fair to say no one you know purchases those tickets. But I have heard of dudes that do, I'm not saying there are more of them than the bb ticket purchasing crew. However, I would venture to say they are trending slightly up due to marketing, media and social media.

I will agree that they are more marketable than say a bber, but there is a reason why the Mr. O is that last event held that weekend. MPD has its place and i know guys that compete in it, but i cant ever see a day when the MPD is the main draw at Olympia weekend.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

I did lol. And I actually know a LOT of others who did as well. The thing is almost every MPD competitor/ fan also still really likes bodybuilding and appreciates it while not all BB competitors/ fan feel the same way about MPD. Make no mistake though there are a LOT more MPD fan and competitors showing up to any and all shows that people think

Quote Originally Posted by tyler_physique View Post
    I did lol. And I actually know a LOT of others who did as well. The thing is almost every MPD competitor/ fan also still really likes bodybuilding and appreciates it while not all BB competitors/ fan feel the same way about MPD. Make no mistake though there are a LOT more MPD fan and competitors showing up to any and all shows that people think
    Let me ask you something. Is MPD exciting to you? I respect your opinion Tyler and you know more about MPD than a lot of people (contrary to what some think, i have no hate for MPD or the guys that do it) Do you think that MPD should do something other than the poses they do?

If you had to choose between seeing the Mr. O or the MPD Olympia, which would you choose?
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Let me ask you something. Is MPD exciting to you? I respect your opinion Tyler and you know more about MPD than a lot of people (contrary to what some think, i have no hate for MPD or the guys that do it) Do you think that MPD should do something other than the poses they do?

If you had to choose between seeing the Mr. O or the MPD Olympia, which would you choose?
    It definitely more exciting to see a pro BB contest than MPD but its just too unrelatable for me. Its a straight up freak show which is awesome and I love watching it, but MPD is just so much more relatable to me. It makes me much more interested to see who shows up looking good and what not. And I absolutely wish they did more poses which is why no one is more excited than I am for classic physique. I like MPD for the look they bring, but I also hate MPD for the board shorts and no posing.

nope
    D E S T R O Y

Coming from my area, I will say that every 20 something that can get a little gear is obsessed with physique right now. I was talking to a guy that would place decent in bodybuilding, but "didn't want to wear the thong".
    MBA Marshall University, PT-Sports Nutritionist, Law Firm Manager, and Bad Ass.

Quote Originally Posted by nutritiontrain View Post
    Coming from my area, I will say that every 20 something that can get a little gear is obsessed with physique right now. I was talking to a guy that would place decent in bodybuilding, but "didn't want to wear the thong".
    the thong isn't so bad...its the heels that kill me...wait...what...hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by callie bundy View Post
    the thong isn't so bad...its the heels that kill me...wait...what...hahaha.
    lmao!!!!
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

lmao!!!!
    Awesome, right? What a day!
    Lance Armstrong is a winner.
    Chael Sonnen to be next president.

I've been going to the O and Expo the past five years. I was astonished how different the Expo was the last couple of years -- but especially this past year. Nowhere near as many freaky people walking around. Lots of people in great shape, but the complexion of the crowd had definitely changed.

I'm not a fan of MPD and never will be. I do view classic bodybuilding as an excellent innovation though and I truly hope a lot of MPD guys will take off the ridiculous board shorts and have a go at it. I have nothing against MPD -- if that's what you want to do, go for it. I just wish it could be divorced from bbing and either put on its own night as part of the same show; or put in an entirely different show. To me, it's a lot like bikini is for women -- entirely about sex appeal. if you thikn otherwise, just go to a local show and watch the women flip out when the MPD dudes come on stage. It was surreal to me; i thought I was at Chippendales for a moment. Again, no problem with it, but I feel it's a beast entirely different than bbing and needs its own separate show.

Sadik is a very cool guy though -- hope he goes into Classic. He would dominate.

It definitely more exciting to see a pro BB contest than MPD but its just too unrelatable for me. Its a straight up freak show which is awesome and I love watching it, but MPD is just so much more relatable to me. It makes me much more interested to see who shows up looking good and what not. And I absolutely wish they did more poses which is why no one is more excited than I am for classic physique. I like MPD for the look they bring, but I also hate MPD for the board shorts and no posing.
    Wile you find it relatable, don't you find that most of the guys at the very top level (not the local shows) look pretty much the same? I find this true of female bikini too. To me they all pretty much look the same.

I will admit i have ZERO clue how to judge bikini or MPD. I thought Justine Monroe was going to place top 3 at the O but she was out of the top 5. As for MPD, i just assumed Sadik would win every show.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

I will admit i have ZERO clue how to judge bikini or MPD. I thought Justine Monroe was going to place top 3 at the O but she was out of the top 5. As for MPD, i just assumed Sadik would win every show.
    I have similar thoughts Mike. I thought Justine should have placed higher and Sadik has a great physique. I actually though this past year Sadik may have been too muscular for MPD (these guys are getting bigger all the time) and can't figure out how he got second in Vegas -- he should have been first or -- if he was deemed too muscular -- last. That's why I scratch my head in figuring out bikini and MPD. I think the bikini girls end up being too lean -- I'm not a fan of counting their ribs.

I find people say they have zero clue on how to judge bikini or MPD, whatever, because they don't understand the results. Which doesn't mean you don't understand how to judge it, it means you don't understand the results. Two different things, most people know more than they think...just use your eyes. The good ol' eyeball test, its pretty easy haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast