Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 60

Thread: Who/what is responsible for changing the old mindset?

  1. #1
    Juggernaut DerekRJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Still loving Michigan
    Posts
    9,036
    Gender
    Male

    Default Who/what is responsible for changing the old mindset?

    Was it the kings of the Internet...Boston and Rich? Was it lack of legit experienced guys helping the younger generation out? When I was coming up in the gym, I trained naturally from 89-92. When I made the decision to use AAS, there was a few there to help me. They honestly tried to discourage me, as they thought I could go a couple more years without them. My mind was made up though, as my vision was the 1993 Mr Michigan. The guys that were respected the most, were the top competitors. The same guys that always preached lower dosages and tougher training in the gym. They were more focused on what they did in the gym and what they did in the kitchen and the amount of sleep they got. They always followed the "more is not better". The same principles that Lee Priest preaches...though people don't believe him. These were the same guys that didn't use all year round or follow the "cruise" theory. They literally stayed off for months on end. Their cycles were usually around 10 weeks.

    What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by DerekRJohnson; January 2nd, 2016 at 02:44 PM.
    I stop me....no one else does.

  2. #2
    Freak of Nature OldSchool90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12,060
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    the pros did this. guys like nasser who leaked oil on stage, or milos who brag with their slin protocol and how they blew up. bostin is just a stupid kid who found people that spread lots of bullshit on the internet or to client (john o´something) and pianoil has small dick syndrome and tries to overcompensate with oil (most bbers are insecure).

    they also found a way to make money with this so thats another motivation to spread their over the top cycles. kids think pros use a lot because most do. look at them, guts are huge (obvious slin/gh protocols), they have puffy muscles from synthol and slin. overall unhealthy abused look like branch warren or dennis wolf. all that doesnt help. now add kids who are easy to influence and want to be big now with the least amount of effort. the internet with lots of bs protocols of what pros use and there you go.

    there are some pros who really care about their image and bbings image like evan, jose and flex but most pros do "whatever it takes" to "get big or die trying".

  3. #3
    Forum Legend RMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dave415's epic combover lulz
    Posts
    24,065
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I didn't read your OP Derek but I'm just happy to be here.
    Confirm what I already know

  4. #4
    Pit Leader bolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    My Real Name is... Jason Voorhees
    Posts
    20,442
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    People see bodybuilding as a way to make a quick buck using the naivety of younger guys. Everyone is trying to sell something without regard for their own integrity. There are still a few good people left, but they are plugging away at the gym and not on instagram. Bodybuilding, as in life, requires you to look past the bullshit and find people worthy of your time and attention. Look at the most knowledgeable people here; they don't offer anything but kind words and encouragement. They don't post training advice, or info on dietary techniques. Most people won't give their time for free. YOU, Derek, could bring a lot more to the table, but you don't.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

    Training Log

  5. #5
    Pit Leader bolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    My Real Name is... Jason Voorhees
    Posts
    20,442
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I didn't read your OP Derek but I'm just happy to be here.
    https://youtu.be/66gG4g5_GJg
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

    Training Log

  6. #6
    Juggernaut DerekRJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Still loving Michigan
    Posts
    9,036
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I didn't read your OP Derek but I'm just happy to be here.
    That's ok...makes me feel closer to you anyways.
    I stop me....no one else does.

  7. #7
    Juggernaut DerekRJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Still loving Michigan
    Posts
    9,036
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    People see bodybuilding as a way to make a quick buck using the naivety of younger guys. Everyone is trying to sell something without regard for their own integrity. There are still a few good people left, but they are plugging away at the gym and not on instagram. Bodybuilding, as in life, requires you to look past the bullshit and find people worthy of your time and attention. Look at the most knowledgeable people here; they don't offer anything but kind words and encouragement. They don't post training advice, or info on dietary techniques. Most people won't give their time for free. YOU, Derek, could bring a lot more to the table, but you don't.
    I've said in a previous thread, that I used to help people and enjoyed it. Got to the point to where I lost my patience, as I couldn't handle the babysitting part. I'm the type that will explain it to you in clear depth and when you need to be explained the same thing over and over....I move on. I recently tried to help a old highschool class mate of mine...for free. He decided to go with someone else's advice and tried the keto type diet....he didn't get in shape. I'm all about sufficient calories and busting your ass with weights and cardio....drop sets...super sets. He like the sounds of not doing any real cardio...not my style. Guess what..he didn't get in that great of shape. Now he's looking for my help for his next show...said he should've listened to me. I'm all good though...I'm too busy with work, my wife and baby and my own training. I don't take the easy way out with dieting and can't deal with those looking to.

    Thanks for the kind words anyways.
    I stop me....no one else does.

  8. #8
    Pit Leader bolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    My Real Name is... Jason Voorhees
    Posts
    20,442
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    People here are always looking for help or ideas. You have the experience, now pass it on to the younger generation. Not diet prep, but you've been there. You know you could help.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

    Training Log

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    People see bodybuilding as a way to make a quick buck using the naivety of younger guys. Everyone is trying to sell something without regard for their own integrity. There are still a few good people left, but they are plugging away at the gym and not on instagram. Bodybuilding, as in life, requires you to look past the bullshit and find people worthy of your time and attention. Look at the most knowledgeable people here; they don't offer anything but kind words and encouragement. They don't post training advice, or info on dietary techniques. Most people won't give their time for free. YOU, Derek, could bring a lot more to the table, but you don't.
    Great post, can be applied to most fields-- the "bozos" selling their sensationalism, are always going to steal the majority of the attention, while the "real people" grinding it out will remain in the background. Exactly why "shock bands" get more attention than bands that just write authentically good music, but also fade much faster. Same will happen with Bostin, Piana, etc., so they are grabbing as much cash as they can, while they can.

    As for the "what happened to our culture?"-- honestly, I think the fitness culture (these days) is just a microcosm of the larger cultural trends. The 80s were a decade of over-the-top-ism, Wall Street greed and "living in excess", American badassery and red-blooded domination (Cold War mentality), Hulk Hogan beating the Iron Shiek and "trouncing those primitive Arabs", Schwarzenegger and Stalone dominated the box office and every kid wanted to be them, big hair and fast cars (and fast women) dominated the music scene, etc.

    Nowadays, culture is much more politically correct, tame, lazy, mealy-mouthed and milquetoast. And this is reflected in cultural trends-- growing boys no longer aspire to be Schwarzenegger, but Bieber (who not only has no physique to speak of, but also has no musical talent to speak of, as far as I can tell).

    Bodybuilding/fitness culture is just reflecting this larger pussification of 2016 culture. Nobody wants to work or "pay their dues" anymore, they just want the end product dissociated from the effort. SO, they follow people who promise results with no effort. Look at ALL of the trending in the fitness world-- IIFYM (whether scientifically accurate or not, the MINDSET to try to incorporate junk food into a prep diet, speaks to one's orientation); minimizing cardio; minimizing over training; maximizing drugs; minimizing the emphasis on training knowledge and intensity-- all speaks to a desire to "find an easier way".

    Welcome to 2016. That's how we roll these days.

    -lifepulse

  10. #10
    Juggernaut DerekRJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Still loving Michigan
    Posts
    9,036
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    People here are always looking for help or ideas. You have the experience, now pass it on to the younger generation. Not diet prep, but you've been there. You know you could help.
    Helped this guy out during the Spring/Summer of 2014. He trained with me, so I had more control of what was going on. I know it doesn't look like much, but dude spent most of his life being the fat kid. He asked me to help him get in shape, so he could go out west and rekindle his relationship with his highschool sweety. He put in real work and now he's helping others.

    image.jpg
    I stop me....no one else does.

  11. #11
    Juggernaut DerekRJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Still loving Michigan
    Posts
    9,036
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    Great post, can be applied to most fields-- the "bozos" selling their sensationalism, are always going to steal the majority of the attention, while the "real people" grinding it out will remain in the background. Exactly why "shock bands" get more attention than bands that just write authentically good music, but also fade much faster. Same will happen with Bostin, Piana, etc., so they are grabbing as much cash as they can, while they can.

    As for the "what happened to our culture?"-- honestly, I think the fitness culture (these days) is just a microcosm of the larger cultural trends. The 80s were a decade of over-the-top-ism, Wall Street greed and "living in excess", American badassery and red-blooded domination (Cold War mentality), Hulk Hogan beating the Iron Shiek and "trouncing those primitive Arabs", Schwarzenegger and Stalone dominated the box office and every kid wanted to be them, big hair and fast cars (and fast women) dominated the music scene, etc.

    Nowadays, culture is much more politically correct, tame, lazy, mealy-mouthed and milquetoast. And this is reflected in cultural trends-- growing boys no longer aspire to be Schwarzenegger, but Bieber (who not only has no physique to speak of, but also has no musical talent to speak of, as far as I can tell).

    Bodybuilding/fitness culture is just reflecting this larger pussification of 2016 culture. Nobody wants to work or "pay their dues" anymore, they just want the end product dissociated from the effort. SO, they follow people who promise results with no effort. Look at ALL of the trending in the fitness world-- IIFYM (whether scientifically accurate or not, the MINDSET to try to incorporate junk food into a prep diet, speaks to one's orientation); minimizing cardio; minimizing over training; maximizing drugs; minimizing the emphasis on training knowledge and intensity-- all speaks to a desire to "find an easier way".

    Welcome to 2016. That's how we roll these days.

    -lifepulse
    Unfortunately I have to agree with what you've said here.
    I stop me....no one else does.

  12. #12
    Pit Leader bolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    My Real Name is... Jason Voorhees
    Posts
    20,442
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
    Helped this guy out during the Spring/Summer of 2014. He trained with me, so I had more control of what was going on. I know it doesn't look like much, but dude spent most of his life being the fat kid. He asked me to help him get in shape, so he could go out west and rekindle his relationship with his highschool sweety. He put in real work and now he's helping others.

    image.jpg
    That's what it's all about. I've made a name for myself here as someone who doesn't know what he's doing. I'm also very cautious when it comes to helping people. Most people ARE looking for the easiest routine or diet, but it doesn't exist. Once they realize that they move on.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

    Training Log

  13. #13
    Pit Leader bolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    My Real Name is... Jason Voorhees
    Posts
    20,442
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    Great post, can be applied to most fields-- the "bozos" selling their sensationalism, are always going to steal the majority of the attention, while the "real people" grinding it out will remain in the background. Exactly why "shock bands" get more attention than bands that just write authentically good music, but also fade much faster. Same will happen with Bostin, Piana, etc., so they are grabbing as much cash as they can, while they can.

    As for the "what happened to our culture?"-- honestly, I think the fitness culture (these days) is just a microcosm of the larger cultural trends. The 80s were a decade of over-the-top-ism, Wall Street greed and "living in excess", American badassery and red-blooded domination (Cold War mentality), Hulk Hogan beating the Iron Shiek and "trouncing those primitive Arabs", Schwarzenegger and Stalone dominated the box office and every kid wanted to be them, big hair and fast cars (and fast women) dominated the music scene, etc.

    Nowadays, culture is much more politically correct, tame, lazy, mealy-mouthed and milquetoast. And this is reflected in cultural trends-- growing boys no longer aspire to be Schwarzenegger, but Bieber (who not only has no physique to speak of, but also has no musical talent to speak of, as far as I can tell).

    Bodybuilding/fitness culture is just reflecting this larger pussification of 2016 culture. Nobody wants to work or "pay their dues" anymore, they just want the end product dissociated from the effort. SO, they follow people who promise results with no effort. Look at ALL of the trending in the fitness world-- IIFYM (whether scientifically accurate or not, the MINDSET to try to incorporate junk food into a prep diet, speaks to one's orientation); minimizing cardio; minimizing over training; maximizing drugs; minimizing the emphasis on training knowledge and intensity-- all speaks to a desire to "find an easier way".

    Welcome to 2016. That's how we roll these days.

    -lifepulse
    Very astute, as usual. I really enjoy your posts.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

    Training Log

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Very astute, as usual. I really enjoy your posts.
    Appreciated, Bolsen.

    -lifepulse

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    Great post, can be applied to most fields-- the "bozos" selling their sensationalism, are always going to steal the majority of the attention, while the "real people" grinding it out will remain in the background. Exactly why "shock bands" get more attention than bands that just write authentically good music, but also fade much faster. Same will happen with Bostin, Piana, etc., so they are grabbing as much cash as they can, while they can.

    As for the "what happened to our culture?"-- honestly, I think the fitness culture (these days) is just a microcosm of the larger cultural trends. The 80s were a decade of over-the-top-ism, Wall Street greed and "living in excess", American badassery and red-blooded domination (Cold War mentality), Hulk Hogan beating the Iron Shiek and "trouncing those primitive Arabs", Schwarzenegger and Stalone dominated the box office and every kid wanted to be them, big hair and fast cars (and fast women) dominated the music scene, etc.

    Nowadays, culture is much more politically correct, tame, lazy, mealy-mouthed and milquetoast. And this is reflected in cultural trends-- growing boys no longer aspire to be Schwarzenegger, but Bieber (who not only has no physique to speak of, but also has no musical talent to speak of, as far as I can tell).

    Bodybuilding/fitness culture is just reflecting this larger pussification of 2016 culture. Nobody wants to work or "pay their dues" anymore, they just want the end product dissociated from the effort. SO, they follow people who promise results with no effort. Look at ALL of the trending in the fitness world-- IIFYM (whether scientifically accurate or not, the MINDSET to try to incorporate junk food into a prep diet, speaks to one's orientation); minimizing cardio; minimizing over training; maximizing drugs; minimizing the emphasis on training knowledge and intensity-- all speaks to a desire to "find an easier way".

    Welcome to 2016. That's how we roll these days.

    -lifepulse

    Can't say it any better than this....100% accurate IMO.

  16. #16
    Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ciy Hall
    Posts
    22,769
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Great thread! Back in 84 t was all about laying foundation of your own muscle and understanding your genetic limitations There was a joy in training hard and wanting to be your best in all aspects of life! It was more substance and very little show and my mentors used and competed but are alive and well today. This society is all a about the quick fix and failing to realize the true satisfaction s in the process!

  17. #17

    Default

    Think of cell regeneration. Each time a cell replicates, it dies a little.

    That's exactly what happens with each successive generation.

    That's why you always hear old folks lamenting the youth of the day.

    It's part of the natural cycle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •