Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Story Behind Arnold Schwarzenegger & Pumping Iron - Exclusive Interview with George Butler

Default The Story Behind Arnold Schwarzenegger & Pumping Iron - Exclusive Interview with George Butler

Nice interview, Ron. It's interesting though that GB says in the article that the Whitney Museum of Art event took place before filming started...in order to raise money and attract investors so they could start production. However, in the special features of the Pumping Iron DVD GB says that the Whitney event took place after filming had wrapped up but he didn't have the money to edit the footage down.

Yeah, I noticed that later. Suffice to say that funding was an issue for that movie in general.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

The best answer:

They didn’t quite appreciate the fact that I was portraying them as real human beings with emotions. In the magazines, they were painted as these larger-than-life heroic figures. I think they felt the film was shattering the illusion and making them look bad. A couple weeks later a glowing review of the film came out in TIME magazine, and the photo they ran of Arnold was actually the first color photo they ever had. By then, the bodybuilders understood that the movie didn’t make them look bad, it actually humanized them and made them more interesting than just two-dimensional characters who lifted weights and flexed their muscles.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Ron did a great job with this interview.

Quote Originally Posted by BBLawyer View Post
    Nice interview, Ron. It's interesting though that GB says in the article that the Whitney Museum of Art event took place before filming started...in order to raise money and attract investors so they could start production. However, in the special features of the Pumping Iron DVD GB says that the Whitney event took place after filming had wrapped up but he didn't have the money to edit the footage down.

Speaking of events being switched, I've always been perplexed by the scenes of the Olympia posedowns and finals.
    There's the scene where Franco just won the Under 200 Division (he jumps up at the announcement and mounts the center stage), then the scene goes to backstage where Arnold, Serge, and Louie are pumping up. Suddenly Franco is there, clean and dry wearing a buttondown dress shirt and helping Arnold oil up! The next scene is the Over 200 Finals (Arnold wins, of course), but the following scene is Franco (oiled up and in posing trunks) having a final pose-off with Arnold!

lol

Great job Ron.

GB: Honestly, I had no idea it would become the phenomenon that it did. Ironically, the IFBB and the Arnold Classic have given out numerous types of awards over the years, and not once have myself or Charles Gaines’ names come out as possible recipients.

The question is why not?
    Why has the IFBB and the Arnold Classic never given Butler and Gaines some type of award for Pumping Iron?
    What that movie did for Bodybuilding as to exposure of Bodybuilding and Arnold to the general public is almost invaluable.

Last edited by Daibhí O'Buadain; January 18th, 2016 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    Speaking of events being switched, I've always been perplexed by the scenes of the Olympia posedowns and finals.
    There's the scene where Franco just won the Under 200 Division (he jumps up at the announcement and mounts the center stage), then the scene goes to backstage where Arnold, Serge, and Louie are pumping up. Suddenly Franco is there, clean and dry wearing a buttondown dress shirt and helping Arnold oil up! The next scene is the Over 200 Finals (Arnold wins, of course), but the following scene is Franco (oiled up and in posing trunks) having a final pose-off with Arnold!

lol
    Edited way out of order from the actual timeline!
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

well son of a bitch... one of the best things I've read in a while. I'm fascinated by the Arnold era and bummed I didn't grow up on the other coast 2 decades earlier. Such a different time. And GB is right, there is no way you could pull off such a film today. Everyone is too busy, spread all over the globe etc. Back then, it was all in one area.

? for any Mods. I would love a print of the picture where Arnold is on the trike. Any idea how I would be able to get one?

Ron, thanks. Awesome interview.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Generation Iron was such a letdown for me because I wanted it to be the modern version of Pumping Iron. But that's just impossible. The sport and the world are just too different now.

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Agreed. I was not thrilled with Generation Iron either. Only watched it once. No idea how many times I've seen Pumping Iron however. Befor it was out on dvd, Sarah searched hi and low for a vhs copy and paid over 100 dollars for it as a present to me one year.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Generation Iron was such a letdown for me because I wanted it to be the modern version of Pumping Iron. But that's just impossible. The sport and the world are just too different now.

Same here. That era is gone.

Best interview I've read in a while awesome job Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Bowden View Post
    GB: Honestly, I had no idea it would become the phenomenon that it did. Ironically, the IFBB and the Arnold Classic have given out numerous types of awards over the years, and not once have myself or Charles Gaines’ names come out as possible recipients.

The question is why not?
    Why has the IFBB and the Arnold Classic never given Butler and Gaines some type of award for Pumping Iron?
    What that movie did for Bodybuilding as to exposure of Bodybuilding and Arnold to the general public is almost invaluable.
    Cosidering how Pumping Iron- the movie, at least- focused entirely on the IFBB and its premier events, this is a very good point. Then again, the IFBB hasn't exactly earned a stellar reputation for fairness or intergrity over the last 35 years..... PUmping Iron made bodybuilding, Arnold and the rest household names in a way that the IFBB and Weider never could.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Actually i think while it would not have been as good as the original it could have been much better. They shit the bed with that doc.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast