Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodybuilding Science - Seven Nutrition Findings

Default Bodybuilding Science - Seven Nutrition Findings

"White Rice Consumption Linked to Diabetes"

Nice BS lol...

Quote Originally Posted by sacharidacek View Post
    Damn. And I just gave up brown rice for white because I read it's nutritionally better.

^^^ It is better.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...ubmed_RVDocSum

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    ^^^ It is better.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice......
    Thanks Anubis. I read an article that was based on that exact study.

^^^ You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    Damn. And I just gave up brown rice for white because I read it's nutritionally better.
    When I eat brown rice, I still see it whole in the crapper. When I eat white rice, I feel light and not bloated. I think most people who listen to their body fond the same to be true.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by sacharidacek View Post

Nice BS lol...
    Here's the paper, which was a meta-analysis (not a study):

http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/344/bmj.e1454.full.pdf

As they note (see Discussion) higher glycaemic load is associated with greater risk of Type II diabetes (per another meta-analysis): The more (high GI) carbs you eat, the more likely you are to get type II diabetes.

The risk associated with rice consumption was higher in Asian countries b/c they eat more rice (and their physical activity patterns are also declining - a strong contributing factor to the disease risk).

So, even more simply, if more of your carbs come from rice and carbs put you at risk for diabetes, rice is partly to blame.

-S

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stevenson View Post
    Here's the paper, which was a meta-analysis (not a study):

http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/344/bmj.e1454.full.pdf

As they note (see Discussion) higher glycaemic load is associated with greater risk of Type II diabetes (per another meta-analysis): The more (high GI) carbs you eat, the more likely you are to get type II diabetes.

The risk associated with rice consumption was higher in Asian countries b/c they eat more rice (and their physical activity patterns are also declining - a strong contributing factor to the disease risk).

So, even more simply, if more of your carbs come from rice and carbs put you at risk for diabetes, rice is partly to blame.

-S

Would the consumption of a high protein/fat meal PRIOR to white rice consumption inhibit that huge insulin response?

Would the consumption of a high protein/fat meal PRIOR to white rice consumption inhibit that huge insulin response?
    Probably not (but timing would matter). The slow-digesting low carb meal would likely mix with the rice and the protein would further elevated insulin response.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/45/3/588.abstract

http://www.janurky.sk/db/articles/20...ulin_index.pdf

-S

Probably not (but timing would matter). The slow-digesting low carb meal would likely mix with the rice and the protein would further elevated insulin response.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/45/3/588.abstract

http://www.janurky.sk/db/articles/20...ulin_index.pdf

-S

Damn. I feared that would be the case.
    Another author had recommended what I had asked.

Bro science at it's best.

"For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if youíre unhealthy. If youíre already healthy, it generally doesnít matter ... "

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-sc...rb-a-carb.html

Damn. I feared that would be the case.
    Another author had recommended what I had asked.

Bro science at it's best.
    Could be, but maybe he was talking about lowering the overall insulin release by essentially taking in fewer carbs (over the course of a day) by having carbohydrate only in every other meal?...

-S

Could be, but maybe he was talking about lowering the overall insulin release by essentially taking in fewer carbs (over the course of a day) by having carbohydrate only in every other meal?...

-S
    can the nutritional maze get any more complicated

Quote Originally Posted by sanatarj View Post
    can the nutritional maze get any more complicated
    LOL - I hear you.

Still, Iron Dwarf would just have to ask that author to chime in here. I think the "complexities" often come from getting info. 2nd and third hand (not going to the source info.) and trusting our memories perhaps a bit too much. I've heard it said that memory is one of the best ways of forgetting. (In other works, our memories are "crafted" over time to help us remember what we want to and forget what we don't... )

-S

LOL - I hear you.

Still, Iron Dwarf would just have to ask that author to chime in here. I think the "complexities" often come from getting info. 2nd and third hand (not going to the source info.) and trusting our memories perhaps a bit too much. I've heard it said that memory is one of the best ways of forgetting. (In other works, our memories are "crafted" over time to help us remember what we want to and forget what we don't... )

-S
    It was one of the more prominent authors on T-Nation. The article made fat loss seem easy by controlling insulin during meals with simple food consumption order.

It was one of the more prominent authors on T-Nation. The article made fat loss seem easy by controlling insulin during meals with simple food consumption order.
    Ah, OK. Well, if you want to PM me the article link, I'll take a look. (I'd look to see what literature is cited in the article.)

-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast