Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 20 week Prep - Road to defending State Title

good luck in your show!

Quote Originally Posted by nycmil View Post
    good luck in your show!
    thanks you, m8!

W - 80.8

Lowest weight yet this prep. Also meant I recorded a 0.1kg weight loss to maintain my record of always dropping weight per week in this years prep and last years. I've never (yet) had a week that hasn't resulted in a loss. I've had one week last year where I was the same.

Average weight was 81.2kg.

I ended up eating a fractionally bigger breakfast as I had a lot of things I needed or chose to get done before training. Gym opened at 8am, so I was on the road at 530 going to stores and being a mug doing work for other lazy fools.

Legs;

Hack Squat 4 x 4+
    DB Lunges 3 x 8
    semi stiff barbell deads 3 x 10
    prone hammy curl 3 x 8
    crunches 3 x 30 secs
    renegade rows 3 x 30 secs

15 mins post training walk. 6.3 kph @ 4.0 deg incline

went back to gym at 130pm and did a 21 minute walk. 6.3 kph @ 4.5 deg incline. would have done longer but had a couple of junkies hanging around my car so was keen for a tear up and left the gym but they scarpered.

hit my 10000 steps today with ease.

feeling hungry today. also a rookie error on my part is having 30g of WPI after my 2nd walk early afternoon. this is 120 kcals or 30g of satisfying protein being ingested in liquid for and makes me feel empty. I won't be using the WPI as a post training option again. 2 days on the trot and I feel the hunger easily by 330pm right through to bed.

Shoulders & Arms tomorrow. Tuesday off, wednesday back in with chest & back.

Starting on Wednesday that will be my final week of this phase. Ending the phase will take me to 3 weeks out.

I will speak with my programmer and see what we can do training wise for my final 3 weeks. I'm hoping an increase in carbs to increase NEAT & training performance, and glycogen (slightly). training obviously has to be risk free, no reduction in load but no risky heavy lifts. probably still some decent intensity until 5-7 days out. In theory my prep will be finished in 3 weeks and the final week will be a cruising week with less movement.

won't be much, but enough to ever so slightly gain a tiny amount of weight. looking at a few days out to increase carbs more to fill out, being as lean as I am just now I can't miss my mark.

Macro's;
    P - 191g
    C - 233g
    F - 63g

only around 68 kcals under target. Feel a lot hungrier than that though. I blame the over indulgent breakfast.

I find weekends to be really hard compared to midweek. trying to find a routine or something to keep me busy. i clean the house, car, tearing up carpets today, walk around shopping centre (again) just to keep moving and kill time etc. Mid week everything seems to go much quicker.

Anyway the psychology is interesting (to me) when counting down;

10 days till september and I'm pretty much there
    less than 1 month to go
    3 weeks 6 days tomorrow
    in theory I stop prep 1 week out so is actually 2 weeks and 6 days
    I will (99% chance) increase carb ever so slightly every few days leading up to the show. this will be a massive mental relief.

so many ways to look at it. not sure which way makes it easiest but i'm getting there. very hard mentally. when I look back through the blog it didn't seem so hard.

Here is a pic from a few weeks ago I only got at the weekend there. Post training. I don't like selfies so got a mate to take it.

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.55.03 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Guvnor; August 21st, 2016 at 06:13 AM.

W - 80.4 !!

Was in bed sleeping by 8pm last night, got 8-9 hours straight and woke up light at that weight.

If I can average a weight of 80.0 to 80.9 this week then I'll definitely make a calorie adjustment this coming week. As in increase calories every so slightly. Let's see what happens.

Trained session 5 of week 5 this morning - shoulders/arms

Military Press - 3 x 8

Superset;
    Standing Barbell Bicep Curl - 3 x 8
    DB Skull Crushers 3 x 10

Superset;
    Cable Drag Curl - 3 x 12
    Straight bar Cable Tricep Pushdown - 3 x 12

Run the Rack Side Laterals - 2 x 10/10/10/10

16 mins of treadmill power walk. 6.3 kph @ 4.0 deg incline.

After work I did an approx 40 minute walk which took my steps to well over 10'000 for the day.

Macro's today (and a lesson learned)
    P - 189g
    C - 238g
    F - 67g

Had some decent food. Uncharacteristically I had pasta (wife made some) 200g cooked was around 50g of carbs. Didn't feel this was a great move as it was unsatisfying and ate up quite a few grams of carbs. Also, I had white fish which is protein dense and not as sating as chicken or turkey. Instead of my usual 6 meals I ended up with only 5 today, and I felt it.

6 meals are good because I get hungry 2-2.5 hours after eating, and I prefer smaller meals often as opposed to less meals.

Tomorrow is a no training day. Might get up for a power walk early on. I don't sleep past 4-5am anyway, will see how I go.

W - 80.8

Nice, still under 81. Need an average of 80's this week to begin introducing more carbs which would be at 20 days out. I don't want to lower them too much this week in order to achieve that. I may commit to a slight lowering on non training days, but an increase in steps taken.

No training today. Did one lengthy walk in the morning, a new route but took 45 mins. Then a 30 min walk later afternoon. Surpassed my steps today, but also lowered kcals. I didn't feel as hungry today, could have gone lower kcals but not sure there would be much point doing that.

Macros;
    P - 196g
    C - 212g
    F - 61g

Kcals only around 170 lower than usual.

Training tomorrow - chest & back. session one of week 6, phase 9. Final week, will be tough but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guvnor View Post

W - 80.8

Lowest weight yet this prep. Also meant I recorded a 0.1kg weight loss to maintain my record of always dropping weight per week in this years prep and last years. I've never (yet) had a week that hasn't resulted in a loss. I've had one week last year where I was the same.

Average weight was 81.2kg.

I ended up eating a fractionally bigger breakfast as I had a lot of things I needed or chose to get done before training. Gym opened at 8am, so I was on the road at 530 going to stores and being a mug doing work for other lazy fools.

Legs;

Hack Squat 4 x 4+
    DB Lunges 3 x 8
    semi stiff barbell deads 3 x 10
    prone hammy curl 3 x 8
    crunches 3 x 30 secs
    renegade rows 3 x 30 secs

15 mins post training walk. 6.3 kph @ 4.0 deg incline

went back to gym at 130pm and did a 21 minute walk. 6.3 kph @ 4.5 deg incline. would have done longer but had a couple of junkies hanging around my car so was keen for a tear up and left the gym but they scarpered.

hit my 10000 steps today with ease.

feeling hungry today. also a rookie error on my part is having 30g of WPI after my 2nd walk early afternoon. this is 120 kcals or 30g of satisfying protein being ingested in liquid for and makes me feel empty. I won't be using the WPI as a post training option again. 2 days on the trot and I feel the hunger easily by 330pm right through to bed.

Shoulders & Arms tomorrow. Tuesday off, wednesday back in with chest & back.

Starting on Wednesday that will be my final week of this phase. Ending the phase will take me to 3 weeks out.

I will speak with my programmer and see what we can do training wise for my final 3 weeks. I'm hoping an increase in carbs to increase NEAT & training performance, and glycogen (slightly). training obviously has to be risk free, no reduction in load but no risky heavy lifts. probably still some decent intensity until 5-7 days out. In theory my prep will be finished in 3 weeks and the final week will be a cruising week with less movement.

won't be much, but enough to ever so slightly gain a tiny amount of weight. looking at a few days out to increase carbs more to fill out, being as lean as I am just now I can't miss my mark.

Macro's;
    P - 191g
    C - 233g
    F - 63g

only around 68 kcals under target. Feel a lot hungrier than that though. I blame the over indulgent breakfast.

I find weekends to be really hard compared to midweek. trying to find a routine or something to keep me busy. i clean the house, car, tearing up carpets today, walk around shopping centre (again) just to keep moving and kill time etc. Mid week everything seems to go much quicker.

Anyway the psychology is interesting (to me) when counting down;

10 days till september and I'm pretty much there
    less than 1 month to go
    3 weeks 6 days tomorrow
    in theory I stop prep 1 week out so is actually 2 weeks and 6 days
    I will (99% chance) increase carb ever so slightly every few days leading up to the show. this will be a massive mental relief.

so many ways to look at it. not sure which way makes it easiest but i'm getting there. very hard mentally. when I look back through the blog it didn't seem so hard.

Here is a pic from a few weeks ago I only got at the weekend there. Post training. I don't like selfies so got a mate to take it.

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.55.03 AM.jpg

Lookin good man, you'll do good

Quote Originally Posted by CMC191 View Post
    Lookin good man, you'll do good
    Thank you, mate. I sure hope so.. Not long to go now!

W - 80.5

So I think I've secured the 80's for this week as an average.

Last year the absolute lightest I weighed as an average was 80.8kg for a week. That was 1 week out from my show, and meant I needed to carb load over 3 days with around 1700g to fill out.

This time around I'd like to have these 1700g (approx) but split up into 21 days or so. Increasing them over time. We'll see. It'd have a positive impact mentally, and physically.

The only issue would be any disordered anxiety I've now got if the scales were to start creeping up very slowly. I'm sure I could deal with it and tell myself it's mainly glycogen. And the extra carbs would benefit my training and NEAT anyway. An increase in either training performance and NEAT might actually see more weight loss.

I trained chest/back today;

Bench - 3 x 6
    Pull Ups x 40
    30 Deg Incline DB Press - 3 x 10
    Bent Over BB Row - 3 x 10

Superset;
    Side Laterals 3 x 15
    EZ Bar Preacher 3 x 12
    Tricep Rope Cable Pushdowns 3 x 15

10 mins on the cross trainer, 8 mins incline walk = 18 mins of power movement immediately after training.

After work I did approx a 4km walk, took around 30 mins. I hit my steps for the day anyway.

Macros;
    P - 198g
    C - 221g
    F - 73g

Kcals pretty much spot on.

By the time I got home I still had around 60g of carbs to eat, 20g of fat but had almost hit my protein.

I decided to have more protein, some carbs and the remainder of my fats. A carb deficit and a protein surplus equalled everything out.

One thing that is quite important (for me) is to not unnecessarily under-eat on training days. If I can stay in the 80kg bracket and eat my target kcal/macro intake then that is great. I don't want to start shaving kcals off my intake in order to maintain the 80's but act like I'm doing it all whilst maintaining the same kcal intake. I can accept a small drop of 100 kcals but not silly amounts shaven off.

On Friday I have a night time meal with family as it's my father in laws 60th. Tomorrow I'm planning a lower carb day, quite a bit lower. This will allow for an increase of kcals on the Friday. I've checked the menu, and it's spot on for what i like to eat - mainly chicken & fish based meals with a carb/veg bolt on.

Tomorrow I won't train, but I do plan on racking up a considerable amount of steps. Friday morning is leg day with deadlifts and I want to finish on a high there.

W - 80.7

Ok, so feeling solid about getting that 80kg bracket. I don't feel like I'm stage ready though!! The same thing happened last year, and I did better than I expected. Maybe that is a good thing??

Got up, ate breakfast, did some work on laptop then went for a 45-50 minute walk.

Went out for another 30 minute walk an hour before bed. Then had 100g turkey breast and diced mixed veg before bed.

Didn't weight train today.

I dropped Macro's today as per non training day. And tomorrow I have my Father in Law's 60th, so am playing safe and banking some kcals.

Macro's;
    P - 195g (15g over)
    C - 163g (79g under)
    F - 68g (2g under)

300 kcals under target.

I have scheduled to under eat tomorrow while at work. Dinner is after work so I'll have a better idea of what I can eat. Although I've checked the menu and it looks like white fish, and potato or chicken breast & carbs/sauce etc etc.

Legs tomorrow morning.

Should get my final 3 weeks training as of this weekend. Final session of this phase will be on Monday. I might end up doing another week of dieting before upping the carbs. will take a video on Saturday and get a final decision asap.

getting there. once it turns September I think psychologically that will be a big mental hurdle. Saying 3 weeks out still sounds like a lot to me.

Issues 101 - lost my posing trunks. TBH, they're cheap to purchase anyway and would like a new pair.
    Issues 101 - need to start posing properly. I put it off, I judge myself and get anxious.

------------

Last comp, I actually dieted for 10 months. November 2014 to September 2015.

Didn't binge once. Only time I chilled was when I flew home when my father passed. I ate airplane food going there, and coming back. That was my diet break.

When I won the show, I wasn't happy. I didn't feel like I'd achieved anything exciting.

All I wanted to do was get the hell away from being obsessively lean. I went home, ate several bowls of muesli, chucked on as much bolt on's as possible (nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate drops etc)

Went out for tea at night with my wife. Anything to get myself away from being lean. Get away from being 80-82kg and back up to around 85kg ASAP.

That was my mental relief. I was able to completely step away from the disordered routine, the restrictive lifestyle - I could never eat when I wanted, what I wanted - well I could, but not what I REALLY wanted to eat. A cookie, a post workout drink with carbs, a bar of chocolate.

I don't know why I do this. I genuinely believe the inner me is punishing myself. Or doing this to resist the excitement of what life is about to give me.

It's a weird feeling, hard to explain - I put myself in this position. When I walked offstage last year I didn't for the life of me think I'd do it again, but I haven't really stopped.

Can't wait for 18th September.
    Last edited by Guvnor; August 25th, 2016 at 07:22 AM.

80.2kg

lightest so far in prep.

felt like shit this morning. pushing myself hard, lowering kcals to allow for any excess from tonights birthday meal. trained the worst yet during prep, felt weak, but soldiered on through.

Legs;
    Hack Squat 3 x 6
    Deads 4 x 6
    Back Step Lunge 3 x 10
    Seated Hammy Curl 3 x 10
    Standing Calf Raise 3 x 12
    Crunches 2 x 30 secs

Went and got new posing trunks after the gym, so all sorted there. Went with black, nothing fancy.

Didn't do much walking throughout the day, stuck on computer for most of it with some getting up and moving around at best.

Went for father in laws birthday tea. table for 7pm (hadn't eaten since 230pm!!)

Starter = bruschetta, quite small. Took a slice of my wifes turkish bread too

Main - chicken breast meal with spinach & pumpkin. Small green garden salad on the side.

I calculated my macros today to be (around);

P - 212g
    C - 219g
    F - 62g

I suspect it's be a tad higher. Sauces can be hard to gauge. And the meal took that long to come out I was fcuking hungry and just wanted to eat, I'd forgotten what was on the menu and just smashed it.

around 2 hours after the meal I went to the gym to play catch up on my steps. 25 minutes intense walk 6.3 kph at a 4-6 degrees incline.

Some abs after, basic cable crunches & paloff presses. When I do my walks I like to rug up. tee, long sleeve tee, hoodie, beanie etc with track pants. I build quite a sweat up.

anyway. recorded a new low today. bit unfortunate I had to eat out tonight, although it was trackable. I hope to weigh in the 80's tomorrow.

thinking I might go another week of trying to lean down. Will take a video tomorrow morning or Sunday morning.

Chest/Back tomorrow. I'm hoping the differing meal from tonight will aid in a better performance.

Have in ur show
    MY KING OF KINGS

W - 80.9

so a fraction up but still within my bracket.

1st thing up I did a 5km walk, with 6-7 spent intervals half way.

trained chest/back;

bench 4 x 4+
    30 deg inc db press 3 x 10
    pull ups x 40
    banded press ups 2 x 20
    underhand bb rows 3 x 10
    seated neutral cable rows close grip 2 x 15
    cable crunches 3 x 20

hit 10000 steps by 1pm today. put feet up for most of the afternoon. i'm walking heaps, and feel my legs flattening out and feeling tired.

macros for today;
    P - 179g
    C - 223g
    F - 45g

314 kcals under my target. quite intentional, waking up heavier this morning pissed me off.

my mouth was so dry, the balsamic vinegar & salt on the foods was massive and I didn't pee much today or through the night so I want to be firmly back in the 80's.

Here are some pics from today.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 5.30.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 5.31.07 PM.jpg

this one isn't an entirely fair comparison. On the left is 2 weeks out last year vs today.

on the left is post training but I drive home (5 mins) and today is immediately post training.

lighting is better today.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 5.31.15 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Guvnor View Post

W - 80.9

so a fraction up but still within my bracket.

1st thing up I did a 5km walk, with 6-7 spent intervals half way.

trained chest/back;

bench 4 x 4+
    30 deg inc db press 3 x 10
    pull ups x 40
    banded press ups 2 x 20
    underhand bb rows 3 x 10
    seated neutral cable rows close grip 2 x 15
    cable crunches 3 x 20

hit 10000 steps by 1pm today. put feet up for most of the afternoon. i'm walking heaps, and feel my legs flattening out and feeling tired.

macros for today;
    P - 179g
    C - 223g
    F - 45g

314 kcals under my target. quite intentional, waking up heavier this morning pissed me off.

my mouth was so dry, the balsamic vinegar & salt on the foods was massive and I didn't pee much today or through the night so I want to be firmly back in the 80's.

Here are some pics from today.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 5.30.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 5.31.07 PM.jpg

this one isn't an entirely fair comparison. On the left is 2 weeks out last year vs today.

on the left is post training but I drive home (5 mins) and today is immediately post training.

lighting is better today.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 5.31.15 PM.jpg
    LOOKIN' GREAT how long b4 ur show?
    MY KING OF KINGS

Quote Originally Posted by SISTEROFJESUS View Post
    LOOKIN' GREAT how long b4 ur show?
    Thanks you. It's actually 3 weeks today. 18.9.2016

W - 80.9

average this week was 80.6

the absolute lowest I've ever been during a comp prep. I don't think I'll get any lower than that without obliterating my legs and flattening out etc

Up at 345am (i know, why so damn early?) when getting lean it's a horrible time to get quality sleep. I'm an early riser anyway.

Legs at 8am;

Hack Squat - 4 x 4+
    Partial Deads - 3 x 8
    DB Back step lunges - 3 x 8
    Prone Hammy Curl - 3 x 8

was meant to do abs but was feeling irritable. Old men talking about their caravans, and women just being annoying. Can you tell i'm dieting and hungry?

i've done 8415 steps today and pretty much ate all my foods by 430pm. getting up early has down sides, and it usually means I get hungry and finish my food too early.

I'm meeting a mate at my work at 6pm, and will go for a walk then.

macros;
    P - 194g
    C - 221g
    F - 61g

Final session of phase 8 tomorrow. Another 6 week block dusted off.

Shoulders & Arms. I now go to an Anytime Fitness owned by my bosses, its nothing fancy but ideal and quiet around 7am to get sh*t done. Will do some 'cardio' after it.

Tuesday - off
    Wednesday - hope to start new program
    Thursday - won't train, but plan on doing a 5-6km walk. Remedial massage at 3pm, extra focus on hammy's and probably through back/shoulders.
    Friday - again hopefully new program is in place.

3 weeks today
    21 days
    nearly in the teens
    Almost September

Weekends are the worst, my routine is crap.

During the week i have a routine, once I get my final phase of training I'll be able to decide where to train. I'm getting quite annoyed with certain characters at gyms LOL....

Important Update (important for me haha)

Kcal change;

Current Macro Intake
    P - 180g
    C - 242g
    F - 70g

New Macro Intake;
    P - 180g
    C - 271g
    F - 70g

I have my new training split. Massive aim here, and that is to maintain my strength.

I've only increased carbs by 30g. Not much, but that 30g can mentally and physically after 17+ weeks of calorie deficit make a massive difference to NEAT + training.

It is no unheard of when front loading carbs for someone to get leaner by adding in some more carbs.

W - 80.9

so upping carbs by 30g a day. What I'll do for days 1 and 2 is ensure I actually hit my original macro intake as I'd lowered it slightly to hit the 80's. As of maybe Wednesday onwards I'll make the effort to hit that extra carb intake.

Trained shoulders & arms - final session for this phase. Gave it my all and made some nice increases in load lifted.

Military Press - 3 x 8

Superset;
    BB Curl 3 x 8
    Decline DB Skull Crushers 3 x 10

Superset;
    Cable Drag Cur 3 x 12
    Straight Bar Tricep Pushdowns 3 x 12

Run The Rack Side Laterals - 2 x 10/10/10/10

Done.

Not an overly active day, did got a for 30 min walk after work.
    ----------

Mind Games;

I sometimes measure my limbs;

Right Arm
    Right Leg
    Waist
    Chest

As I type this it's (430am on 30.8.2016) and I've measured in. I've dropped size everywhere.

Yet I had a customer come see me who trains at the same gym on a Monday, tell me how massive I am. It's weird, the illusion of being big, but only because one is in shape.

I posed last night, and felt like I was way off.

The diet no longer really feels like a diet. Makes me think I'm not trying hard to be stage ready.

The mental side of prep is brutal. I woke up at 81.2kg, I only did 8500 steps yesterday, no training today so wonder what I'll weigh tomorrow.

I've deactivated Instagram & Facebook. My focus is this comp, and maintaining a healthy marriage & workplace effort.

Technically it's 19 days to go.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast