Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 20 week Prep - Road to defending State Title

W - 81.2

slight increase.

didn't train today. i did kind of fcuk up, I went for a walk at 530am, around 4000 steps. Then at 430pm I went for an extra long walk thinking I'd not had a walk.

Silly move, I've overdone my walking, legs feel real heavy and tired.

I got varicose vein surgery a few years back and have them coming back so heavy legs are genetic. Makes them feel tired fairly quickly.

I'm going to tone down the walking and max out at 10000 steps. I did around 15000 today.

Macros;
    P - 186g
    C - 243g
    F - 69g

I had a small bite to eat when I got in to top up the macros. wasn't even that hungry which is kind of good, will be interesting to see what that does to my weight.

Start new phase tomorrow, leaving all my energy in the gym from now on!

W - 81.5

Up a tad, again. Not concerned as yesterday was a non training day.

Today was the start of a new program;

Chest & Back;

Bench 3 x 8
    Pull Ups x 35
    Hammer Strength Inc Press 3 x 10
    BB Row 3 x 10

Superset;
    Side Laterals 3 x 15
    45 Deg DB Curls 3 x 12
    Straight Bar Tricep Pushdowns 3 x 15

10 mins on cross trainer
    7 minute incline walk

Done. Pumped up good. Feel good after sessions like this, but as the day goes on I feel less confident.

Macros;
    P -188g
    C - 245g
    F - 64g

still around 230 below my aimed calorie intake. Will see how my weight goes, just being a tad hesitant and seeing as last week I didn't hit my targets in order to get in the 80s, I can't pretend I did that taking in 240g then go to 270g. I'll raise my carbs to 240g as it should be and probably on the weekend i'll increase them to 270g properly, and lower fats to 60g.

Hit my steps today rather easy. dropping my target from 12000+ to only 10000.

I don't usually train on a Thursday, but my remedial massage was cancelled so I might train in order to keep my activity high. It's a legs day, and a bit different from usual.

W - 80.8

nice, a drop back into the 80's with a slightly higher kcal intake than previous 18 weeks!!

Was up stupidly early - 330am. Hard to explain, but I simply can't lay in bed too long, I need to get up and commence prep for the day. I shoot myself in the foot though, as I finish my food a whole lot quicker doing this. Technically I've eaten my kcals by 330pm today. I got 130 kcals to go, which is all fats! I could have a salad (40 kcals) and a tiny tin if tuna/water (70kcals)

that'd be do-able. I do have to hang around for work to close today, I sold my motorbike earlier so took my fellow staff members car to get home. I'll need to return it. I'll see how I feel later, might even just have some BCAA + psyllium husks.

Legs;

Leg Press 3 x 10
    Semi Stiff Leg Deads 3 x 10
    Back Step Lunges 2 x 10
    Seated Hammy Curl 3 x 10
    Cable Crunches 2 x 15
    Renegade Rows 2 x 15

No cardio/movement today so far. I will go to shops, and walk around and make an effort to hit 10000 steps. I need to drop the car off, so will walk to meet my wife, sitting on 4000 steps which is very low.

My remedial massage lady cancelled, she has flu. I got a contact who is a gun, a former physio from greece who is rep for ATP Sciences, he's been extremely kind and loaded me up with their products and has offered to do some remedial work and trigger point work. he really understands the concept of bodybuilding posing and how certain areas need to be released in order to pose correctly.

Macros;
    P - 180g
    C - 269g
    F - 57g

so carbs & protein are bang on. Fat is under. will be dreading this later on when I'm starving! but will wake up feeling good i hope.

Normally i don't train on thursdays but seeing as massage was cancelled I ended up doing session 4 and not session 2 as gym didn't have a hack squat.

i will now train on Friday & Saturday. Massage with Theo on Sat morning, with Sunday off as per his recommendations.

The it's fluff work on monday again - shoulders/arms etc.

This weeks split has been/will be;

Monday - shoulders/arms - final session of Phase 8 (session 5 of week 6)
    Tuesday - Off
    Wednesday - Chest/Back - session 1 of week 1 of phase 9
    Thursday - Legs - session 4 of week 1 of phase 9
    Friday - Chest/Back - session 2 of week 1 of phase 9
    Saturday - Legs - session 2 of week 1 of phase 9
    Sunday - Off - 2 weeks to go.
    Monday - Shoulders/Arms - session 5 of week 1 of phase 9

Takes me to technically my final week. My actual last week will probably change. I'll train my last leg session around 5 days out from the show which will be a Tuesday.

W - 80.2

stood on scales, got a 80.0 then moved went to take a pic and got 2 x 80.2 in a row. damn scales!

Same thing happened last year when I got a 79.9 then tried again and it said 80.1.

Up at 4am, trained chest/back at 530am. hard session but all the reason to push harder!

Bench - 4 x 4+
    30 Deg Inc DB Press 3 x 10
    Standing Cable Flyes 2 x 15
    Pull Ups x 35
    One Arm Rows 3 x 10
    Seated Close Grip Cable Rows 2 x 15

10 mins on treadmill. Steps have been low today, will go out for a walk after work to get the movement up a bit and get better headspace.

I got 1 meal left and that'll be eaten around 7pm.

macro's;
    P - 201g
    C - 255g
    F - 59g

kcals under by 100 for today. Pro up but fat/carbs under.

Legs tomorrow morning, will get it done early. Aiming for 4-5am then a drive around some stores doing some general drop offs before trade.

remedial massage and postural work to assist with posing - opening out, shoulder placements etc. That is at 10am

Change to Macros;
    P - 175g (from 201g)
    C - 256g
    F - 57g

Had half scoop of AminoJect by Evogen and 5g Psyllium Husks to get my fibre intake to 40g for the day.

After a re-assessment, I was going to overshoot my Protein by an amount that I didn't feel comfortable with (disordered thinking much?). I decided to not have my final meal as I was not all that hungry.

I ended up doing a 30 min walk, got to 9000 steps which is fine.....

My current short term goal is to register a 79.* kg weight. Not done that since I was a teen, I'm 33 now. Didn't do it during last year prep and I did proper cardio then.

Will see if I can get to bed for 730pm sleep by 8 and up at 345am.

W - 80.4

staying low which is great considering my 270g carb intake.

trained legs very early;

Hack Squat - 3 x 8
    Semi Stiff Legged Deads - 3 x 10
    Leg Extension - 3 x 12
    Prone Hammy Curl - 3 x 10
    Seated Calf Raises - 3 x 12
    Cable Crunches 3 x 15
    Dip Machine Leg Raises - 3 x 10

Done. Did a 5 minute cool down, then went to shop next door for some steps and to get shopping done.

Went for a really good effective remedial massage today from a mate. Probably the most specific and detailed recovery massage I've had. No training tomorrow and I need to obviously drink lots of water but also try and relax.

I've been on my feet for most of the day, ended with a 45 minute walk. Took my steps to 9100 as per Jawbone Move Up. I'm aiming for 10'000, any more than that and I feel heavy legged and tired.

My legs are horribly flat just now. I'm flat all over, hence my low weight.

Macro's;
    P - 179g
    C - 262g
    F - 49g

Low fat, higher carb and controlled protein intake. Kcals under by around 240 today, but full belly of carbs and protein. Low fats short term and will do this up to the show so I can get more carbs in. I train and feel much better with carbs and low fat for a period of time is the least of my concerns.

----------
    2 weeks tomorrow.
    ----------

Plan for this week
    ----------

Same training program, same exercises/reps/sets but to maintain if not improve strength where possible.
    ----------

Last week, most likely a 3 day lower carbohydrate intake, will crunch the numbers on how low but won't need to suffer as already flat as a pancake.

Thursday/Friday/Saturday is a 'load'

I usually calculate this 2 ways;

Method 1 is usually done after a 3 day depletion

Day 1 (Thurs) - 3 x average carb intake through diet = 3 x 220g so 660g
    Day 2 (Fri) - 2 x average carb intake through diet = 2 x 220g so 440g
    Day 3 (Sat) - normal carb intake. Subject to change I.E how effective was the previous 2 days at contributing to fullness (usually not that effective) so I might got 1.5 to 2 x usual carb intake.

Method 2 - usually done without a depletion and just cruise to load as per diet.

KG body weight x 10 so 80kg x 10 = 800g carbs

60% on day 1 = 480g
    40% on day 2 = 320g

Day 3 is subject to change based on effectiveness of first 2 days. Usually a 320g would not be a problem is 220g was the normal intake.

Water - i go off 10ml's per gram of carbs. I.E 600g carbs = 6 litres of water. and lower as carbs go up or down.

I DO NOT cut water. Silly move, no trifling with sodium or salts either. Pointless, if you look good then you look good. Why try and look better by taking silly unproven risks?

On the day of the show I usually commence a normal days food. And am partial to some salty popcorn before/during pump up with some water that might have some citrulline malate in it or something for a pump enhance.

Just now, I feel quite good. Mentally I do, at that point where I'm so far in the zone. Once this week is out of the way it's the home straight and that'll be the end of a 20 week cut.

Short update for now;

W - 80.6

solid average of 80.8 for this week. An increase of 180g of carbs through the week (that is fcuk all) but aided in an improved mood and performance.

my average steps taken this week went down from 14500 to 10400.

less movement and a tiny bit more kcals, and weight basically stayed the same.

Albeit the last 4 days have been my absolute lowest consistently recorded weights to date.

Here is a video at 2 weeks out, taken this morning at 530am

Now vs last year at 11 days out I personally believe I'm in a better condition with improvements in certain areas. Verified by a close friend who has a keen eye. Without being over confident, I need to absolutely adhere and remain compliant till the show is over.

This week will be massive. I'm aiming to hit a high 79kg, that will be an astronomical achievement for me.

With a carb load, I'll be a different person. My videos from last year vs my stage pics look like 2 different people. The large carb load made all the difference.

However, last year is over and this is now. 1 hard week left, then it's the final week.
    Last edited by Guvnor; September 4th, 2016 at 01:26 AM.

Following on from earlier post that included a 2 week out video;

Macros;
    P - 194g
    C - 249g
    F - 52g

265 kcals lower than target. It is a non-training day so not all that fussed, and the missing kcals come from fats so again at this stage not fussed.

Had good energy all day. kept busy, was up at 430am, on the road for 5am doing work things. Cleaned both my cars, and the garage. Went for 2 long walks - steps today are around 11'000 which is pretty high. Aiming for 10'000, really.

Training tomorrow is a shoulders/arms workout. After some scapula/delt work on Saturday, I'm keen to see if my performance improves, or the ease of military pressing is any better.

So, 2 weeks today. Soon it'll be a count down from 10, 9, 8 etc.

Hoping to stay in the 80.*'s this week.

W - 80.5

Great start to the week.

Shoulders/Arms;

Military Press 3 x 8

Superset;
    Barbell Curls 3 x 8
    Cable Overhead Rope Tricep Extensions 3 x 10

Superset;
    Standing Single Arm Cable Curls 3 x 12
    V-Bar Tricep Pushdowns 3 x 12

Run the Rack Side Laterals - 2 x 10/10/10/10

10 mins walk 4 degree incline at 6 kph
    5 mins on stair master

Haven't done nearly enough steps today. One issue with working instore is you can only move so far. Only done just short of 4000 steps. I know of a walk route i'll do once I'm free and before bed that will take me to around 9000 steps, maybe more.

Macros;
    P - 190g
    C - 254g
    F - 53g

finished 161 kcals under my target.

Plan for the week is;

T - Off
    W - chest/back
    T - legs
    F - chest/back
    Sat - legs

so 4 days on the trot. I'll need to train super hard in those sessions. I think I'll deplete Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Only a very gradual decrease in carbs, nothing horrid or aggressive. I'm pretty flat as it is. And with 4 days of training with 1 day off straight into a depletion phase I don't think I'll need to suffer to flatten out.

I prefer to load 3 days out for 2 days. meaning the day before I can see where I'm at and take things from there.

Only 13 days to go...

W - 80.7

steady goes it..

No training today.

Up early and on the road. Lots of walking today, but appetite was high, meant I had to eat most of my macro's when I normally like to back off on non-training days.

Macros;
    P - 189g
    C - 258g
    F - 57g

still 152 kcals under target.

Plan is an early night, early rise and off to the gym for fasted training. Now I don't think fasted training will make any difference, what i a big mental key for me just now is 2 things;

1. To FEEL like I'm doing all I can to be the best I can be - hurting a tad has a silly way of installing 'i'm trying my best'
    2. The later I can eat my first meal, the easier my day will be. The earlier my first meal the earlier I finish my calories.

I may need to sip on some AminoJect during training to offset any issues.

Did around 13'000 steps today.

Chest + Back tomorrow. Big workout.

Did around 13'000 steps today.

Busy man!

sitting tight...

Had the most insane migraine last night, came out of nowhere, eventually fell asleep and wokeround 130am and it was gone. got out of bed at 4am.

I got anxious thinking i'd not be able to train etc due to migraine.

I felt weak this morning, but soldiered on through a chest/back workout;

bench 3 x 8
    pull ups x 40
    Inc DB Press 3 x 10
    BB bent over row 3 x 10

super set;
    side laterals 3 x 15
    seated 45 deg bicep curls 3 x 12
    straight bar tricep pushdowns 3 x 15

10 mins treadmill walk to get the steps up. it;s 6pm and i've only done 5400 steps. its raining and now i need to plan some movement.

i'm going to a shopping centre, will park a tad further away and walk through the centre and isles etc. I'm going to do some long ass posing tonight, and make all my food so i'm prepared.

i got legs tomorrow, and will finish my work around 130-2pm.

macros;
    P - 196g
    C - 250g
    F - 49g

now today I only ate kangaroo, and it's a tad harder to get the macro's right. i dont believe I've eaten 196g, but I allow for error and input that i've eaten a tad more than i might have.

fat is low again, should be at 70g. I'll keep carbs as is. considering my movement is low today then I'll not max kcals out. 240 kcals under target.

so legs tomorrow, might train around 630 to 7 which is late for me but the gym will be empty.

W - 80.9

again in the 80.*'s, a good feel. It doesn't feel like I'm dieting, or dieted. Everyone saying I look very different, but I'm not feeling that. 19 weeks of prepping can have that effect

Up at 4am today, got to the gym around 530am after a decent 1st meal of around 500 kcals.

Legs;

Leg Press - 4 x 8
    Walking Lunges - 2 x 10
    Semi Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 3 x 10
    Prone Hammy Curl - 3 x 10
    Super set;
    Calf press - 2 x 12
    Cable Ab Crunch - 2 x 15
    Renegade Rows - 2 x 15

10 mins on the treadmill.

Went back to the gym at 230pm and did 22 mins on treadmill at 6.2 kph on a 4.0 degree incline.

macro's;
    P - 184g
    C - 252g
    F - 53g

Under on carbs and fats again. I'll be keeping fats low, unless i deplete glycogen more then i'll up fats so kcals stay the same on average.

I was very hungry in the morning. Ate most of my meals by 1230. Waited 5 hours for a final meal. I knew I'd have to wait a long time before final meal, I just wanted to be satisfied and deal with the hunger later on.

Training chest/back tomorrow. Get a spray tan at night as a trial at 630pm.

going to sit down and plan out the next 10 days over the next day or 2.

Plan for final 9 days; (Subject to change)

9 days out - chest/back - 180/270/50 (this is today)

8 days out - legs - 180/250/55

7 days out - shoulder/arms - 180/230/60

6 days out - no training - 180/200/70

5 days out - last leg workout 80% load- 180/200/70

4 days out - chest/back 80% load - 180/200/70

3 days out - 45 minute pump session 60% weight - 150/600/50 - more water than usual, aim for 6-8 litres - might load on more than 600g Cho

2 days out - lots of posing/band pump session - 160/360/60 - more water than usual, aim for 5-7 litres - might load on more than 360 Cho

1 day out - relax, pose & visualise - 160/270/60

Day of show;
    6 hours pre - 30/50/10 - usual breakfast - sips of water
    4 hours pre - 30/40/10 - usual meal - sips of water
    2 hours pre - 30/30/10 - usual meal - sips of water
    30 mins pre - 15g cho - salty popcorn, pump up strategically.

I wasn't going to lower carbs over the days but I think I will, that way I'll have 'earned' them for the load. I was recommended to not deplete as I'd already be depleted but I was more depleted last year and still depleted but loaded heavy.

Also I was recommended to load 2 days out but I've done that before and always looked better after the show, so I prefer 3 days out to load.

load for 2 days, and on the 3rd see what I need to do - either normal carb intake or higher carb again. If i've had too much then I can always pull back but that is highly unlikely.

W - 80.4

nice and low. Still looking for that 79.9 or less.

Trained early - chest/back - hard workout but soldiered on through it;

Bench - 4 x 4+
    30 Deg Inc DB Press - 3 x 10
    Standing Cable Flyes - 2 x 15
    Pull Ups x 40
    DB Rows - 3 x 10
    Seated Neutral Cable Rows - 2 x 15

15 minute walk after training. Did another walk at night time for 35 mins, hit 9600 steps so happy with that.

Got a practice spray tan tonight. Girl seemed good, and so far the base colour is fine. She reckons Sunday morning will be the optimal colour time which lines up with my show. If I like the colour, I'll get the same base coat next Friday for the show on Sunday.

Macros;
    P - 190g
    C - 265g
    F - 49g

I think this is a highest case scenario. i don't think my carbs were that high, but will report the way I have been since day 1.

Tomorrow is legs day, and a semi hard workout but I want to push that hard it becomes a productive session pushing past the point I usually would do.

I'll be out the door at 4am. Train I hope for 430am.

train for 1 hour or so and go next door to a 24 hour grocery to get some foods for the weekend. best vegetables on the go, so will keep busy and go there.

Anyway, 9 days to go. Lots of posing to get done. Been on my feet all day, heavy legs - going to rest up for 30 mins then off to bed.

I don't want to eat too much before training, will be a challenge as my last meal was really 330pm. I just had a 'macro filler' which was basically fcuk all.

W - 81.1

Up a tad, wasn't that keen with yesterdays eating and macro following. And I got up at 3am!! If I'd slept till 430 I'd have been lighter.

Trained legs early today;

Hack Squat - 3 x 8
    Semi Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 3 x 10
    Leg Extensions - 3 x 12
    Prone Hammy Curls - 3 x 10
    Calf Press - 3 x 12
    Decline Crunches 3 x 15
    Cable Crunches 3 x 15

15 mins on treadmill.

Walked 8500 steps today and it's 440pm. Also hit my macro content but feel quite full so should get through the next few hours easily enough.

Macros;
    P - 179g
    C - 240g
    F - 65g

Dropped carbs a tad. Unsure if I'll follow through with the late loading. Might front load more, and not as high.

Then again maybe I'll stick to my plan - 'suffer' for a few more days then load for 2 days, it's not even really loading considering it's 950g over 2 days then back to normal on the 3rd. It works out to be 400g per day.

I got shoulders/arms tomorrow. That will be my last 'balls to wall' session. 100% hard reps.

So things fit in I'll take Monday off training. Train Tue/Wed/Thurs

then pump stuff Friday/Sat & posing.

Got my spray tan on last night. Looking flat so will keep a real eye on that. Flat all over.

lightest yet at 80.1kg - actually lightest ever during both preps.

1 week to go....

New plan just formulated for this week, nothing crazy - I'm flat, and want some carbs in earlier as opposed to leaving it too late and doing a last minute thing.

I want the carbs in when I'm training, and less in when I'm relaxing.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 10.05.09 AM.jpg

Today's full update will follow.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast