Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 week Prep - Road to defending State Title

Quote Originally Posted by Guvnor View Post
    It certainly is, haven't actually tried the pineapple... might have to try that flavour next!
    Definitely good. Especially mixed with the mango. Also, make it into a slushy.. It's kind of like a little treat that way

Quote Originally Posted by Guvnor View Post

Weight 88.1kg (same as yesterday)

Training today was;

A - Flat Bench 3 x 8 @ 70%

B - Incline Bench Close Grip 4 x 10 @ RPE 7

C - Neutral Grip Lat Pull Down 3 x 12

D - One Arm DB Row 3 x 10

E - Standing DB Side Laterals 3 x 15

F1 - 45 Deg Seated DB Curl 3 x 10
    F2 - Straight Bar Kneeling Tricep Pushdown 3 x 15

Rest periods varied from 60, 90 and 120 secs.

Workout volume was high to begin with for Week 1, session #3. Volume won't go much higher over the next 6 weeks. Though each workout will be taxing, do-able and push me.

I'll post my macro content later on once the day is pretty much complete.

-----------

Dieting issues 101.

Living a life, not restricting and not limiting social events.

How many people do you know who compete and will not attend events or meals out due to unnecessary dietary restrictions?

My wife said to me earlier that she was really wanting to go to our preferred Sushi place. How would a dieter react to this? Well there is 2 ways...

1. They'd say they can't go, Sushi isn't on the menu for them and they're not allowed to eat it. They've been given a food plan and they MUST follow it
    2. No problems, consider macro/calorie content, chose most appropriate food from the menu and adjust daily macro intake accordingly.

Being 19 weeks out from my show, there is absolutely no reason I can't eat Sushi. Hell I'd eat it 1 week out if I had to. Avoid coaches who encourage a bad relationship with foods. Beware that it's more than possible for a 'prep coach' or a personal trainer to actually suffer from an eating disorder which they'll unknowingly pass on to you if you accept the advices.

No food is off limits, no food is to avoided... well not during my prep.
    Agreed 100%.

Weight - 88.1kg

This is 3 days on the trot I've weighed the same 1st thing in the morning. Never had 3 days on the bounce like that.

Macro intake today was;

P - 197
    C - 340
    F - 80

Again pretty much bang on. Without being too extreme, and allowing for food variances.

No training today. I'll do session #4 tomorrow which is a lower body day involving yet again Squats and Deadlifts.

--------------

The most important aspect of my prep is - adherence.

Adhering to what I need to do.

Fulfil my calorie goals, and execute the training & cardio.

Falling off the wagon isn't my thing, I've made my plans and the journey is under way.

Will update training tomorrow and calorie efforts.

^^ I take it you follow along with a lot of the principles on 3DMJ?

Quote Originally Posted by CMC191 View Post
    ^^ I take it you follow along with a lot of the principles on 3DMJ?
    I don't actually follow any of them. Never got into following any of them.

Do prefer Aragon, that is where I picked the adherence concept. 3DMJ probably got that from him.

Weight - 88.2kg.

Very steady all week, have certainly found my maintenance on minimal training.

Training today was lower body. Had to commence lifting at around 645pm. Was planning a 2pm session but got called into work so had to rearrange.

A - Squat 4 x 6+ @ 72.5% (the + means do as many reps as possible on 4th set)

B - Deadlift 3 x 1+ @ 80% (+ set is capped to 5 reps, technical failure for me is a one way ticket to injury)

C - Bulgarian Split Squats 3 x 12 per leg

D - BB Hip Thrusts 3 x 10

E1 - Incline Garhammers 3 x 30 secs
    E2 - Walkouts 3 x 30 secs

Rest periods vary from 90 secs to 120 secs.

Felt good tonight, lifted well. Will see how I pull up tomorrow.

Diet today was fine, just that blip in the afternoon when I got called into work.

My final meal has to consist of;

P - 20g
    C - 100g
    F - 15g

I was able to have a Isopure RTD at work to take the edge off not having my meal with me, which is why I'm chasing my carbs and not protein. I was out when work called and felt obliged to work, it doesn't happen often.

"issue" now is I must commit a sin and eat 100g of carbs before bed. And it's after 6pm lol.. No carbs after 6? don't think so.

I've trained hard, will almost certainly be in a deficit so time to break even and eat up.

---

No training tomorrow. Will move more and try not sit around. Prepare for Monday and figure out new macro targets for the week.

Weight 87.5kg

Average weight for 7 days - 87.9kg. Has been this average weight for around 5 weeks now.

Certainly have my finger on the button when it comes to maintenance.

Today's macro intake;

P 195g
    C 320g
    F 95g

Fat is about 20g higher, and carbs 30g under my targets. I can live with the trade off.

Reason? I ate 2 slices of Tasmanian Salmon in meals 2 & 3 then totalled up my macros and realised I'd horsed on with my fats, so I pulled back on the carbs a tad to balance off the overall calorie intake for the day.

Seeing as I'd dropped 0.7kg over night I can live with the imbalance for today.

------------

No training today. Back in the gym tomorrow for;

Week 2 - Workout 1 - Chest & Back with accessory arm work.

19 weeks to go.

W - 87.9kg

Weight is steady, didn't drop macro's today. Am thinking that over the next few weeks if my volume is going up in the gym then it should correlate to some gradual weight loss.

Todays workout;

Week 2 - workout #1

Flat bench press 3 x 10 @ 65% + 2.5kg with 120 sec rest

30 deg DB press 3 x 10 w/ 120 sec rest

Pull Ups x 25 AFSAP

bent over barbell rows 3 x 10 w/ 90 secs rest

side laterals 3 x 15 w/ 60 secs rest

super set;
    unilateral cable bicep curl 3 x 12
    ez bar skull crushers 3 x 12

So, workout is higher volume than last week.

A set was added to every exercise.

2.5kg added to my bench press, and the extra set.

Overall as I evaluate numbers when training, the following volume changes happened this week;

Week 1 vs Week 2

Reps 158 vs Reps 227

Weight lifted 7317kg vs 10473kg

The workout was good. Felt strong, I trained at 8am this morning which seems to be the best time for me to get full use of this particular gym with no interruptions.

Macro's for today;

P - 184g
    C - 350g
    F - 80g

Supps today were;

1 scoop Cyclic Dextrin PHD Glyco-Durance Strawberry Kiwi - intra
    1 scoop Mango Xtend - intra
    1 scoop BPI ISO HD - - post
    1 scoop ON Whey Ex Milk Choc - meal 1
    8g Citrulline Malate - pre

I always hope that 8g citrulline malate will improve my recovery time between sets but I can confirm, of the 500g's I've gone through so far I've not appreciated the benefits.

I'm not a case study, but being so onto timing, load, volume - I'm not a bad candidate to test.

No training tomorrow. Hoping to get my Garmin Watch back on to keep track of movement.

W - 87.7kg

No training for today. Minimal movement unfortunately.

macros

P - 196g
    C - 344g
    F - 73g

---------------

So i'm going to make dietary changes. I've pulled up last years weight charts and when I commenced cardio.

I am pretty much the same bodyweight now as I was in May 2015.

I started cardio late May in 2015. Unfortunately my Dad passed away in June 2015 and I had to fly home for 2.5 weeks (Australia to UK). I was 12 weeks out when that happened but I still followed through with my show. I left Aus 86kg and came back 86kg.

I'm going to make dietary changes for the following reasons;

I don't drop fat all that quick, but want fat to fall off as slow as possible
    I'm already quite lean so losses will be minimal and slow over a long duration
    I want to prevent doing cardio as long as possible so I don't affect my weights performances
    I want to be a week to 2 ahead of last year, even though I ended up being on the money but because I did cardio early in the prep

As of tomorrow my Macros will become;

P - 180 (down 10) Might seem low but is still 2.5g per kg of bodyweight
    C - 300 (down 50)
    F - 70 (down 5)

I expect my weight to fall, and I anticipate within 5-10 days I'll be dropping those carbs to around 250g but have a re-feed once per week.

A re-feed is only 150% approx of my normal carb intake. Not a binge eating disorder of 5000 kcals in 1 hour. Which completely negates a number of days deficits.

I will use the re-feed as a tool to spend time with my wife, so she isn't effected by my selfish competition prep. And as a psychological tool to help count the weeks down.

I will be taking pics, i won't post any for now. I'm not a selfie kind of guy - Maybe in stages over the prep I'll post progress pics of say 18 weeks out vs 12 weeks out. I have also directed many friends, potential competitors against me and customers to read my daily blog.

So, thats it for today. Tomorrow is legs - week 2, session 2. And a drop in calories (approx 290 kcals)

thanks

W - 88.0kg

Today is first day with new macro targets of

P - 180
    C - 300
    F - 70

Today I actually hit

P - 181
    C - 306
    F - 68

Nightmare effort to sleep last night. I'm a great sleeper but couldn't settle. I put it down to late night stimulation being on the computer, getting an email from a complete jobsworth that got my back up and my fridge/freezer kept beeping so I woke a few times to stop it.

From 9pm to 1am I was awake pretty much the whole time, so I chose not to train. Means I train Thursday & Friday instead.

It's a one off, I can handle it.

Kept active today, got plenty of movement in at work. Nowhere near as stagnant as I've been of recent.

My actual food today was;

Meal 1 - 85g oats, 25g WPC, 20g paw paw, 90g yoghurt, 15g of a nut/seed/goji berry mix, 100ml milk

Meal 2 - 120g chicken breast, mixed veg, 250g basmati rice, tomato sauce

Meal 3 - Protein Balls- - 225 kcals

meal 4 - 120g chicken breast, mixed veg, 250g basmati rice, tomato sauce

Meal 5 - 125g sweetlips snapper, large portion of veg, tomato sauce + 10 almonds

Meal 6 - 70g oats, 20g paw paw, 15 of a nut/seed/goji berry mix, 25g WPC, 150ml milk.

This will be the core of my diet, I'll add in fruit more often like apples, banana, kiwi, blueberries etc. And the variety of my vegetables is always really good, a core range is broccoli, carrot, broccolini, red/yellow/green/orange peppers...

I don't think variety is always that important in a circumstance like this where the range is broad and not restricted. For me it's more a case of altering foods to meet satiety.

Meal # 3 : Do you make those protein balls, or what? Curious

Quote Originally Posted by CMC191 View Post
    Meal # 3 : Do you make those protein balls, or what? Curious
    Nah man I don't make them. The brand is Whey Whip and I just go off their calorie information.

I usually have 1 pack most days. During the day I can get meals in but if for whatever reason I'm busy then I can have a quick snack like that.

nice job
    MY KING OF KINGS

Big set back.

Currently in hospital.

Freak accident in squat yesterday morning around 30 hours ago.

Had to call ambulance, still can't stand or walk.

Big doses of midazolam, Oxycodeine, string anti inflams are not easing the pain.

This happened to me years ago. Anterior pelvic tilt and a flexion of the lumbar at the bottom and I'm gone.

Staying overnight. Might get out tomorrow if I can walk on crutches.

All is not lost, I will prep as usual and create a plan of action for recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weight has been 87.5 for 3 days running.

I've not trained since Monday of last week.

On Thursday on the 9th rep of set 2 at the bottom of the squat I felt a complete clamp across the top of my pelvis.

I'd be as far to say that I actually felt my pelvis anteriorly tilt.

I was i agony for the day. My wife is a paramedic, and at 3am she was woken from me screaming. I had extreme spasms through my abs and lower back. She called an ambulance and they sedated me with midazolam but I was still in pain. I can't remember much other that waking up in hospital.

Anyway, all signs of muscular strain really. Spinal erectors and QL, i also think Iliopsoas and posts have shortened massively on the left.

When I stand now I am squint, right shoulder dipping to the right, spine is squint.

I'm going to see my massage therapist tomorrow to unlock any tissue blockages.

Today I spend most of it moving dynamically, keeping L1 to L5 mobile. Feeling a lot better now.

I've had never ending back issues. I wish my program writer would stop putting squats and deads in the same workout every time. I cannot recall the last time I could put socks on. I've got lordosis and a bad anterior tilt to my pelvis and is reeks havoc.

Anyway, my macros targets are - P 180, C 300, F 70

Thursday (in foetal position all day)
    P 167
    C 265
    F 56

Friday (in hospital)
    P 145
    C 221
    F 101

Saturday (in hospital till 4pm)
    P 170
    C 251
    F 64

Sunday (at home, moving and dynamically stretching)
    P 179 - nailed it
    C 280 - good
    F 69 nailed it.

So I haven't been able to train in 6 days. Pretty pee'd about it, can't be helped it nots through choice.

Lesson learned. I won't be doing any more movements that risk injury. this is costing me a fortune getting fixed up.

I'm going to change my program, my legs are bigger and better than my competition anyway so no point in me hurting myself to hose on them.

tomorrow is deep tissue to straighten out my tightened locked tissue. and upper body day with no direct attention on lower back.

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

I'm sorry for your injury. I can almost relate. 18 months ago I felt a weird strain while squatting. I racked the bar and stretched out a bit. Got a LOT worse as the day went on. PAIN by that night. Following morning I could not get out of bed. I went to the ER. Apparently it was not a disk or anything of that nature and the doc said we may never know exactly what it was. I am actually just getting back to some decent squats now and I haven't bothered deadlifting in a long time.
    I wish you a speedy recovery.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Wish you speedy recovery. I know first hand about QL and psoas injuries.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast