Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 week Prep - Road to defending State Title

Thanks Lads. Appreciate the comments.

86.2kg

Dropped 1.3kg over night with minimal training.

Back is recovering very quickly. Had deep tissue today, wasn't as deep as I wanted but she smoothed out some areas I think will benefit my recovery from this temporary injury.

Spend most of my day keeping my back in a position where it's not under stress, and able to recover.

I trained today, the following;

Week 2 Session 3;

Bench - 4 x 8 @ 70% + 2.5kg

Incline bench close grip 4 x 8

Neutral grip lad pull down 3 x 12

one arm db row 3 x 10 - didn't do this, compromised my QL and mis section, did not feel stable.

standing side raises 3 x 15

superset

45 deg seated DB curls (felt tuggy on my lower back) opted for seated preacher curl 3 x 10
    straight bar tricep pushdowns 3 x 15

lots of dynamic and static stretching afterwards.

macros today are;

P 182 (2+ Target)
    C 279 (21- Target)
    F 84 (9+ Target)

I'll train tomorrow. See how I feel when wake up, if I feel improved again, I'll probably do a goblet squat instead of back squat. Unsure of my deadlift movement for now, might swerve this. I'll commence most other movements like single leg bulgarian split squats etc but light. feel where i'm at and treat it as more of a rehab session.

W - 86.3kg

P - 191g (+11g)
    C - 280g (-20g)
    F - 66g (-4g_

No training. Rehab work, got a theracane today. Actually a real good tool for trigger points and self massaging tight areas.

----------

W - 86.4kg

P - 180g (perfect)
    C - 299g (-1g)
    F - 63g (-7g)

I rehabbed in the morning, movement etc dynamic stretching.

Reading more into APT (anterior pelvic tilt) - focusing on tight hip flexors, rec fem and psoas.

Also need to stop focussing so heavily on being 'injured' as it might become psychosomatic in some ways.

I trained, but very cautiously.

DB squats very light - 4 x 6 complete emphasis on retraining thought pattern, glutes squeeze, push through heals, tense quads at top, limit APT

Hack Squat (was meant to be back squat) - 4 x 6 - focus on keeping abs braced, lower back against pad, NO pelvic movement

Deadlift - can't do yet, not even close

Back step lunge - 4 x 12 ea leg - smaller steps

BB hip thrusts - 3 x 10

All very conservative in lifting. Obviously trying to get through the workout rather that 'kill it'. Happy to get through it, and it's a step in the right direction.

Now, I've always had ridiculous abdominal section but very rarely if ever do I train it. Even now, 17.5 weeks out - quarter turn I've got more detail in my obliques than most guys in my state will do onstage.

I've decided to actually start training them and with a high level of effort. Not for definition, getting my body fat low takes care of the look. Its to balance out my core and try strengthen up that area.

Today I did;

Garhammers - 3 x 10
    Hanging Leg Raises 3 x 10
    Cable side crunches 3 x 12 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_pdl51owCI )

finished with some massage ball work, and glutes static stretches.

Pre training I did 5 mins on the cross training and 4 minutes on cool down. something I rarely do.

Not far off proper workouts on legs again. everything seems to be setting down and as I speak to my physio and read from the likes of Bret Contreras, Joe Defranco etc I can acutely increase my understanding of anatomy and biomechanics.

Diet today as example was;

Meal 1 - 75g oats, 15g raisins, 15g paw paw, 100ml milk, 25g whey, 50g natural yoghurt

Meal 2 - Oh Yeah The One bar

Pre training - 2g l-carnitine-tartrate, 1 scoop xtend

Post training - 150ml milk, 130g banana

Meal 3 - 75g oats, 20g paw paw, 50g natural yoghurt, 100ml milk followed by 110g chicken breast, 20ml tomato saucepeas, carrots and brocolli

Meal 4 - 400g white potato, 25g cheese, 110g chicken breast, 20ml tomato sauce, peas & carrots. 25g dairy milk.

Meals 5 - 25g whey + 10 almonds

done.

will look at getting some fish in soon, more variety on veg and more fruit over next week.

W - 86.7kg

gone up about 0.1kg the last few days so as of tomorrow I'm taking my carbs from 300g to a max of 260g... I'll monitor weight then drop to 240g in a week or 2.

Back feels better again today. A bit of walking this afternoon showed some weakness though, felt achy too easy.

I trained mid morning and did the following;

Bench Press 4 x 10 @ 65% + 5kg

Incline DB 30 Deg 4 x 10

Pull Ups x 3 in as few sets as possible.

Bent Over Rows 3 x 12 (did a chest supported version, as lower back... you guessed it - was being a pain)

side lateral raises 3 x 15

super set;
    seated cable bicep curl 3 x 12
    DB skull crushers 3 x 12

Rest periods went from 120 for bench, 90 for DB incline press, no specific rest for pull ups (go when ready), rows were 60 second rest, side laterals 60 secs and super set 30 secs rest.

Diet today I fucked up. I didn't total calories till late on, then forgot about the 1 scoop of carbs I had pre training.

P - 181 (+1)
    C - 320 (+20)
    F - 54 (-16)

calories balanced out though. I was chasing my tail a bit with the fats so just backed off and had no more to take the edge off the carbs.

So, tomorrow - no more than 260g carbs. time to get more consistent with macro counting.

really hoping I can start progressing with my mobility and movement ASAP.

Here are some pics I have of exactly 1 year to the day.

19.5.2015 vs 19.5.2016 (i took them today)

I am around 1-2lb lighter just now than I was last year at the exact same time.

I take pics in the same place (90% of the time) - same time, same circumstances etc, not pumped, never after training, within 1-2 hours of waking.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 8.11.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 8.12.09 PM.jpg

Now, for me looking at my pics I think I'm way off and have tonnes of work to do. The pics I had onstage look like a different person.

That alone can come down to lighting, tanning, peaking etc.

--------------------------------

Here is a collage from last year of progress over the weeks;

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 8.16.36 PM.jpg

-------------------------------

I mentioned previously my intercostals, obliques, abdominal section is genetically pleasing to look at. I don't train them very often at all. Truthfully I might do maybe 60 seconds of work 1-2 times a month. Dudes say I'm so lucky to have abs, I must work so hard - not the case, I do diet long enough to reveal what everyone has under the fat.

This could be a contributing factor to an imbalance in my core section with back issues. I'll be training them properly like every other muscle group over the next 4 months, 2-3 times a week with a dedicated 2-3 exercises and 3 working sets.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 8.20.55 PM.jpg

This pic was taken around 1-2 week pre contest last year.

W - 86.3kg

P - 181
    C - 239
    F - 69

Pretty much spot on. Aimed for 240g carbs today as no training. I'm training tomorrow and will got for 260g carbs. Also reason for 240g is that I don't want another increase in weight, prefer it to be 86.3 again or 86.2 etc.

Intricate counting, all counts and seems to work come the end result.

Back is coming along. Not quite load baring. Will be changing up exercises as I need to.

Squat to become hack squat

bent over row to become a very good machine based seated row (prefer this by miles, far better muscle activation for me and contraction)

Not much to report on. Feel nibble enough to start taking more weight tomorrow.

Not bad considering I was in hospital last week on stupid amounts of pain killers.

I haven't approached a physio for an analyses. Though i am fortunate that a friend of mine who is a physio has promised to come to my house and assess my situation.

he said given the nature of the injury and my feedback it sounds like a specific muscle is to blame. fingers crossed he assesses accurately and I can rehab more specifically.

----------------

Sleep;

does anyone else use extra pillows or towelling to support the spine when sleeping?

I got a good bed, paid good money for a top of the wozza mattress. I do keep a pillow in-between my legs now to assist in keeping the spine neutral.

going to try a rolled towel on my side between bottom rib and top of iliac crest.

all a bit extreme, but usually I wake up like a cripple.

Onwards to tomorrow looking forward to a productive session of legs.

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

https://www.t-nation.com/training/se...loaded-carries

If you google "Dan John loaded carries" you'll find a few articles. That is one of them.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/se...loaded-carries

If you google "Dan John loaded carries" you'll find a few articles. That is one of them.
    Great read, thanks for that. I think I'll incorporate a variation in my workouts all the time moving forward!

cheers

W - 85.9kg

Dropping a bit too quick. As i said yesterday I suspected my weight would fall over night and was going to go 260g carbs today but went to 280g.

17 weeks out, and I'm 3.9kg off a carb loaded stage weight. Baring in mind I most likely at my leanest hover around 80.5 to 81.5kg for a few weeks prior to loading but still feel a tad ahead and dropping too fast. And i'm not even training full pelt.

I trained today and it was legs - still a feeling out process, as last week I was not was not even walking.

Hack Squat - weight increased again this session to 4 x 10 - 120 secs rest - tempo 4.0.1.0

Deadlift I had to miss out. Literally can't lift a bar off the ground.

Did floor glute bridges instead.. 4 x 12... 60 secs rest - tempo 2.1.1.1

DB back step lunge 3 x 10 ea leg - 60 secs rest and tempo was 2.0.1.0

Prone Hammy Curls 3 x 8... 90 secs rest with tempo of 4.0.1.0

Farmers Walk 3 x 30 secs - walking forward then backward, used dumbells

I worked obliques and abdominals.

Pre training was 25 mins focus foams roller on calves, ITB, thoracic extension.

dynamic stretching through hip flexors, ankles, feet, lumbar, hamstrings etc

end of workout was more static stretching - nothing too long, maybe 10-20 secs per stretch.

Macro's today are;

P - 172g (8 under)
    C - 281g (21 over)
    F - 70g (bang on)

------------------

A movement I haven't mastered before but seem to get HEAPS of relief from is the;

Toddler Squat
    Paleo Squat
    Grok Squat

all the same thing...

Done this today for 2-3 minutes a time, done around 3-4 times.

Plan is to do this for 10 minutes straight and eventually be able to do it no problems with a straight back for as long as I want.

So many benefits. A fantastic explanation is here https://b-reddy.org/2012/11/26/my-fa...toddler-squat/

---------

I'll train tomorrow, upper body again. Will check weight 1st thing, I'm meant to be eating 240 to 260g carbs but if I'm lighter again I'll either drag out the weight loss and do a re-feed day on Monday or Tuesday with usual carbs + 50%.

here is an oldie for APT, if applicable. www.t-nation.com/training/trouble-with-the-tilt-correcting-apt

Quote Originally Posted by nycmil View Post
    here is an oldie for APT, if applicable. www.t-nation.com/training/trouble-with-the-tilt-correcting-apt
    Thanks m8, I thought i'd read every article that is online about APT so far lol... but not one so thanks for sharing.

W - 86.5

So jumped a little (but thats ok, just weighted myself 23.5 and back down to 86.1 will update today's day - tonight.) fluctuations are normal, as long as my weekly average is down.

My weekly average was 86.3kg

Averages;

week 1 - 87.9
    week 2 - 87.6
    week 3 - 86.3

So a bigger drop, but I did got from 350g carbs to 300g (then got injured) then started maxing my carbs to 260g, and now I'm going for 240g this week to end the week in the 85kg mark.

I trained upper body yesterday, and was back to a 95% effort workout. I'm able to bench much more true to form and engage the core fully etc. And brace better on one arm rows;

Bench 4 x 8 @ 70% + 5kg. Starting to fail at reps 6 and 7 on sets 3 and 4, which isn't great. Next week for week 4 i'll drop the reps keeping the sets the same. And for 4 x 6 @ 70% + 7.5kg. Then week 5, 5 x 6 @ 70% + 10kg so I'm always adding load, and lowering reps if when I need to, then adding a set to add volume.

30 degree Incline close grip bench - 4 x 8. - really liking this exercise. range of motion is really there.

Neutral grip lat pull down 3 x 12. bracing that core, stretching at top and finding that contraction at the bottom

one arm row 3 x 10 - didn't go too heavy, not wanting to twist lower back - so lighted at 75% and went for form, no sudden jerks etc. Nailed it.

side raises 3 x 15. finding them an irritating challenge, engaging traps too much.

super set
    seated cable curls 3 x 12
    straight bar tricep pushdowns 3 x 15

All done, great workout - in between sets I was taking notes as I always do and watching rest period all whilst in the toddler squat position. When warmed up it's great, not sure if i'm causing damage but i doubt it.

When I came home I practices some press walks. good movement, and actually a killer stretch of the back muscles.

Yesterday's macro's were;

P - 188g ( 8g over)
    C - 252 (aiming for 240 to 260g)
    F - 71g - perfect.

As my weight jumped a tad from 85.9 to 86.5kg I knew a strictly monitored day of macro counting and hitting my numbers would bring me back down and it did.

I do wonder sometimes if a hard training session will result in weight loss or super compensation of glycogen? Seeing as my training volume had halves over the past 10 days.

Either way, all on track and feeling comfortable.

---------------

Plans today;

No training. Though I do think I'll stop by the gym and cardio (light, no sweat, heart rate to not go over 100/110) just because the 'feel' from the QL and glute activation is gold. I feel much better. It's a tad colder too just now so a warm up is good.

Consider getting an MRI done, see what is going on in that lumbar (or my brain?!? LOL) . I have 3 good friends who are all Physio's but I've seen them enough over the years to learn the absolute basics. Each guy has a different approach to therapy, this time I'll manage it myself and probably opt for the MRI. I suspect they'd come back with differing theories anyway. I can manage this myself, I'll get an MRI to check for facet sprain/damage as I believe it's a facet sprain with the powerful spasm. Possibly causing arthritis (genetic) but will see, lots of micro damage in the lower back over the years.

Hire a cross trainer for the garage for 4 months (duration of prep) - I never use cardio equipment at the gym for warm up or cool down reasons but have been doing 5 mins on the cross trainer and really appreciate the way to engages my glutes and QL's and they 'unseize'

Purchase multiple Thera-Cane's for my friends. Need to buy around 5. A self massage and self release tool, the amount of triggers I've got through my glute med and glute min is crazy. for $35 it's a doozy.

Back to actual work today. Never had a sick day in 12 years. I didn't classify last week as sick, I couldn't walk. Sick to me is actual virus/infection. Work will involve going around supplement stores making sure my awesome managers are kicking ass, hitting numbers and doing their jobs. As well as talk to them and catch up on their chat which is always good for moral (mine).

W - 86.1kg

Macro's

P - 197
    C - 276
    F - 80

I had a major increase in movement and was literally on my feet all day from 0830 to 1900. Lots of lighter lifting and moving. I was brutally hungry at one point and decided to eat a quest bar. Being 17 weeks out and so hungry I didn't see it necessary to suffer.

Also, with Myfitnesspal - I have a portfolio of stores foods. I like MFP but it's a human created database, i'm going to sharpen up my food database a bit more for further accuracy.

Calorie counting is weird anyway as food can vary so drastically being the same food. At least it's a measurement to go by for energy in.

I'll train today, up at 0500 for meal 1. Will check work emails, prepare my meals and head to the gym for my leg workout then freshen up and off to work.

W - 86.3kg

Macro's

P - 185g
    C - 252g
    F - 72g

Legs this morning;

Hack Squat - 5 x 6+

Deadlift - couldn't do, still

Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12

BB Glute Raises - 3 x 10

Abs - Incline Garhammers, cable oblique crunches.

A fairly straight forward workout, about 80% of capabilities. Workout quality is improving every workout again.

Latest on lower back issue is now I have a slight referred pain from right glute that can be felt slightly down the right leg, I do not think it's sciatica in it's true sense. Just the tail end of my spasm relaxing, its certainly easing up at a rapid rate.

Bit concerned I still can't deadlift. After my glute bridges I felt much more capable of deadlifting but still wouldn't try.

I think I will train tomorrow, I don't have to. I could take a rest day as I'm working far away and picking up my new car after work. Meaning I can train Thursday & Friday which would be far more appropriate for me.

Hoping weight drops over night, giving me more chance of lowering my weekly average by Sunday.

Current weight chart and progress;

carbs were dropped on day 3 of week 2

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 7.00.40 PM.jpg

----------

Supplements used today;

Pre Workout
    2g L-Carnitine Tartrate - raw unflavoured
    5g Citrulline Malate - raw unflavoured
    1 scoop Mango Xtend

Post Training
    1 Scoop Rule 1 Protein WPI. Just grabbed a sample in work, new salted caramel flavour, quite nice. I care if it's WPI or WPC.
    Last edited by Guvnor; May 24th, 2016 at 07:09 AM.

W 85.8

dropped weigh again. No training, has a busy day so chose not to train to take pressure off. Weight loss is concerning at how quick it's coming down. I'll wait and see tomorrow's weight and decide if tomorrow or the day after will make best use of a re-feed.

I'm aiming for 240-260g yesterdays macros were

P - 187
    C - 281
    F - 64

------------

W - 85.3

ok, so another 0.5kg (1.1lb) dropped over night. too quick, i'll train this morning (upper body, big bench day) and re-feed which is only going to be 350g.

will keep monitoring weight. my average weigh 1-3 weeks out from last comp was 81kg. I will be low 85kg average this week with 16 weeks left. Stage weight (loaded) was 82kg. Consider muscle growth, then I think I might be ahead of myself. which is fine, I can focus on keeping that muscle size on, if not building it which is more than possible leading into a show when bolus feeding protein.

another positive is i'll hold off cardio for as long as possible. sounds silly but I used to HATE cardio, but kind of liked it eventually. i think it helped my gym performance. next phase will be more intense with more super-sets and a higher heart rate.

Might even go 400g carbs today. Will see how training goes, and how i feel as the day goes on.

Yesterday I weighed in at 85.3kg and decided to do a re-feed which went;

P- - 230
    C - 400
    F - 68

Today I still am the same weight. 85.3kg.

Re-feed wasn't massive, but around 75% higher, and still the same weight.

I won't train today. Still getting referred nipping pain in right glutes, and right ankle. It's not sciatica i think it's the tail end of spasming issue.

Yesterdays training was on limited time so I had to super set most exercises to get them in;

Bench - 4 x 8 @ 65% + 10kg
    Seated Bicep Preacher Curl - 3 x 12

30 deg Incline DB press 4 x 10
    Seated Row Machine 4 x 8

Side raises 3 x 15
    DB skull crushers 3 x 12
    Oblique crunches 3 x 15

all done, left myself with less time to get it done so had to super set all exercise. Was ok didn't seem to effect performance.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast