Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 week Prep - Road to defending State Title

Macro's for today;

P - 190g
    C - 255g
    F - 63g

An extended day at work, long day... Didn't train but didn't plan to. Now working tomorrow, will train legs before work.

Just finished some static stretching off there don't that for around 20 minutes, nice and relaxed. Focus on groin, adductor magnus, gastroc, soleus, ITB, hip flexors, psoas etc....

Here is an upper portion pic of 1 year apart. No tricks with imaging etc.

Benching 2-3 times a week has really helped thickness front on. I'm certain I grew into my last show, drug free. Programming was on point. Training was organised and I adhered to macros etc so looking forward to dialling in this year but can't get cocky and complacent like i've achieved my gains and thats it. still lots of work to do.

this pic was a few days back.

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 8.10.51 PM.jpg

Thickness has definitely improved. Good Job.

Cheers CMC191, I'm certain it has too, the only thing I don't like doing is measuring myself. Just have to go off visuals.

w - 85.3

3 days in a row again my weight is the same. happens rarely.

training went from being a morning leg session to a 5pm upper body session.

i train early as i genuinely feel stronger in the morning, and i am. later in the day I don't lift as well. I certainly wouldn't want to 'grind' out a leg session when the temp drops and pull up sore/injured.

anyway, this was the session;

Bench - 4 x 6 @ 70% + 10kg

30 degree inc bb bench (closer grip) 4 x 8

close grip lat pull down 4 x 10

one arm rows 3 x 10

side raises 3 x 15

super set;
    straight bar cable triceps 3 x 15
    farmers walk 3 x 20 secs
    45 degree seated bicep curls 3 x 10

job done.
    ----------------

W - 85.1kg

down in weight again. below is my week as a total, average has dropped quite a bit since last weeks.

I'm away in to week 5, will need to use maybe 2 re-feeds every 10 days. this week re-feed didn't cause weight gain, and it was 75% more carb intake, and 25% more protein.

All good, I don't mind getting razor sharp 6 weeks out.

One thing I feel naturals don't realise is how long and how hard it is to get ultra lean, its easy to get lean but to enter them single digit body fat numbers and hold them can be a miserable period of time. it's not easy to hold low body fat and it's certainly not easy to get there.

it's a very long process. and even though I'm at 85kg and can cut to 81kg, it'll still take me 10 weeks to get to there. leaving only 6 weeks to hold it.

anyway, legs is this morning. will post workout later on. for now its best I use the same hack squat so I can accurately measure progress, and loading.

Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 8.10.47 AM.jpg

Follow up on this mornings post;

W 85.1kg

P 174g
    C 276g
    F 50g

Lowered fats today, in favour of more satisfying carbs - had to crunch the numbers around 7pm before my final meal and realised I couldn't really take in all 3 macros for final meal as had hit my carb intake. Didn't want a fat/protein meal for my final meal, so had a carb/protein meal as I only have a few calories left to get in. Couldn't have all 3 macros without overstepping my target.

legs trained today;

Hack Squat - 4 x 9 - 3010 - 120 secs rest still not risking an actual back squat. Still can't deadlift unless I BB hip thrust first then maybe I could deadlift.

DB back step lunges 4 x 10 - 2010 - 60 secs rest

Prone Hamstring Curl 4 x 8 - 4010 - 60 secs rest

DB farmers walk 3 x 30 secs

Cable crunches 4 x 20

overhead squat - 4 x 10, barbell only, end of workout, 1 inch raise on heels. Done these in between cable crunches

Will train tomorrow morning before work. it will be week 5 session #1..... Even though I still need to complete week 4 session #4. just getting the sessions in when I can plan to get them done knowing I can with no foreseeable issues.

W - 85.2kg

Weight stayed around that low 85kg mark.

Early training session, upper body.

Bench 4 x 8 - 65% + 12.5kg... added 2.5kg per week since week one.

30 Deg Incline DB Press - 4 x 10

Pull Ups x 35 (in as few sets as possible)

Seated Machine Row - 4 x 8 - should be barbell row but can't hinge at the hips without hams pulling on lower back.

I then done a few lat stretches, serratus pull downs etc. Did 2/3 of my workout, will do the other 1/3 today.

Macros for 30.5.2016;

P - 180g
    C - 256g
    F - 59g

---------

W - 85.6

woke up a tad heavier today, nothing alarming, just natural fluctuation.

Will finish off workout from yesterday, expect a slight improvement in load with movements due to being 'fresh' going in to this workout;

Side Raises - 3 x 15

Seated Cable Bicep curls on preacher - 3 x 12

DB skull crushers - 3 x 12

Will then spent some time on abdominals/obliques with aim of strengthening that section in conjunction with some toddler squats, and APT stretching/movements.

Might throw in some suitcase walking movements for obliques.

An unusual split training session but time restriction yesterday. Took longer to warm up that right glute than expected.

Still getting that glaring right glute stabbing pain, slight tightness/referred pain to right calf. Can't hyper extend but I feel like a 'quick fix' is only a stretch or movement away if that makes sense. Actual lower back (L1-L5 and Sacroiliac) all feel sound. Could be the tail end of the muscle spasm that has left a slight herniation of a disc that is irritating a nerve on my right side. Either way, will plod on.

---------------

W - 85.6kg (again)

Macros for yesterday were;

P - 178g
    C - 269g
    F - 54g

Again a lower fat day. An unexpected 2.5 hour extension to my working day meant I went a long period with no food. Both the extended day and lack of food could have been avoided. Anyway so far from the competition that I'm not concerned.

No training today. Will train Thursday to Sunday.

Re-feed is technically due today. Will probably save for tomorrow as I have a leg workout early tomorrow.

W - 84.6kg (1kg lost over night, didn't expect this at all)

Macros yesterday were;

P - 175g
    C - 269g
    F - 65g

P & F were 5 under and C was 9 over. Balances off, within reason. Not overly active, but still dropped.

Will re-feed today with 350g of carbs or maybe 400g. I'll train legs at 2pm, that workout may dictate if I go 350g or 400g based on performance.

Yesterday I went to see a new physio. I usually use 2 friends, 1 is a former work colleague and the other a inside circle bodybuilding friend. Both excellent physiotherapists but we end up chatting work etc, and both have differing styles of physio. 1 is more neural and the other i'd say is traditional.

After 2-3 weeks of lying on the floor, trying to move, stretch, prod/poke muscles etc all over my lumbar and lower limbs I decided to go and see a new neutral physio.

I sent a synopsis of my history of right side tightness, recent powerful spasm and he read all that and kind of had a rough idea going into the consultation.

Anyway, he suspects current hip pain I've been left with is due to extreme piriformis/ITB tightness, possibly Glute tightness too. 2 weeks for full recovery/treatment. If it's not muscular tightness and it's a joint related issue then 12-16 weeks. After treatment he said he'll confirm on Saturday if he suspects it muscular or joint.

Another good thing was that he was able to narrow down my rehab exercises to 3-4. I was doing heaps, but didn't know what was worth doing or effective or even counter productive.

Also posture tips etc when driving, sleeping, sitting were all different from what i've been doing so that was good. and now I can focus my rehab time on specific sites.

anyway 2pm workout today, will upload later then upper training tomorrow and physio app on saturday. 15.5 weeks out, and a bit far ahead at this rate.

W - 85.2

Up a tad from 84.6. yesterday I did a re-feed and trained legs to the best of my ability.

Macro's for yesterday;

P - 183g
    C - 364g
    F - 65g

So up around 100g on the carbs, hardly a re-feed in it's true disordered meaning like Binge Eating Disorder with a 5000-10000 kcal 2 hour sitting. I opt to up my carbs in 1-2 of my meals, only.

Keeping fats and protein the same.

Training was;

Hack Squat 5 x 4+

Bulgarian Split Squats 4 x 8

BB Hip Thrusts 4 x 8

Deadlift 4 x 1+ (couldn't do) spent time doing mobility work etc, and extra time doing lower abs, obliques etc.

Garhammers 3 x 30 secs

Cable Crunches 5 x 30 secs

Piss poor range of exercises for legs, but at 15 weeks out I'm not fussed. I'd rather do movements that are no irritating the 'nerve pain' than do nothing at all.

Physio tomorrow, where he'll hopefully let me know if he suspects joint issue to muscular.

My money is on muscular, with emphasis on right side piriformis & gluteal tightness. Possibly neural, maybe just to not firing properly for years.

---------

On a side note I've been reading some really interesting writing from Greg Lehman. I saw his name pop up on the Bret Contreras site, where BC referred to GL as a genius.

www.greglehman.ca

End of day Macro's for today;

P - 185g
    C - 255g
    F - 66g

Trained tonight from 645pm for around 45 mins;

Bench - 5 x 6 but that right glute nerve irritation made my base shakey and didn't bench right, so did 5 x 4.

30 deg close grip incline bench press 4 x 8

neutral grip lat pull down - 4 x 10

one arm row 3 x 10

rest periods from 90-120 secs etc..

Was meant to do;

Side raises 3 x 15
    45 degree incline db curls 3 x 10
    straight bar tricep pushdowns 3 x 15

what i did last week (and tonight) was put my effort/energy into the 4 exercise, and break down the session over 2 days.

meaning tomorrow I'll do the above exercises, with abs and maybe a drop of cardio 20 mins etc.

this allows me to see Physio tomorrow at 11 for lower body work, but still train. I'd not be able to train legs after mobility work, needling etc.

Will train my legs on Sunday PM instead. this will help keep energy output high, instead of taking rest days. albeit not the hardest workouts, but it's what you make of it when you're in the gym that counts. it'll be maximum effort regardless if the workout has been broken down.

W - 84.9

So weight down a tad, should enter the 84 bracket firmly by Monday/Tuesday. Expect a possible fluctuation.

Physio at 11am

Training in the afternoon, small workout with abs + cardio.

Will finalise day/post later on. And include overview from Physio appointment.

W - 85.1

Here is the last 2 weeks weigh in's. A reason why I'm not a big fan of this "look in the mirror" or weigh in once a week stuff is because you fluctuate so often through out the week, If i weighed in every Sunday (day 7) then I'm assume I was the same weight. in theory I am, but my weight is down 1lb this week vs last week, so I'm happy.

If I though my weight was the same (which is isn't really) then I'd probably adjust something like - drop kcals, add cardio etc but there is no need to, yet.

Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 1.15.00 PM.jpg

Trained this morning; changed the order of movements today for warm up purposes;

prone hamstring curl - 4 x 8 - 4010 - 60 secs rest

back step lunge - 4 x 10 - 2010 - 60 secs rest

hack squat - 4 x 9 - 3010 - 90 secs rest

glute bridges 4 x 12 - 2020 - 60 secs rest

then finished with some static stretching and foam roller work.

--------

Physio update. He's a good physio and luckily opened up about the brain/neural side of therapy. he's treating my right side hip hoping my lower back eases up.

we both agree that my movement patterns are entirely evolved around the fact "i have a sore lower back" - I'm telling myself I have a sore lower back, and have done for years.

the pain is sometimes there, when I'm consciously aware that a specific movement or situation can be sore, it is sore.

when I do certain movements like standing side raises, i stand on my left leg - I bend over to pick things up but nurse my right side. When I sit down I'm rigid and feel like I need to push that lumbar into the chair to 'protect' my lower back.

Brutal mental flare up. I'm tight, there is no arguing there. my constant awareness of a supposed lower back problem will only alter my movement patterns and psycho awareness that I need to nurse an 'issue'.

W - 85.1

Public holiday here in Perth WA but ended up doing a 10 hour very mobile/active shift. Wasn't planning on training but will hopefully score some energy burnt through being so active today.

todays macro's

P - 176g
    C - 284g (meant to be 240, but losing weight so will run with 260g ish)
    F - 64g

F & P down a tad to compensate higher than targeted C.

W - 85kg

Off to gym for upper body day, then work.

My programmer has sent through my next phase already. A week early, its a 5 day split - 2 upper, 2 lower and 1 shoulder/arm day. More exercises, and higher volume as expected. again this could save me lowering calories anytime soon. All will be posted as I go. I won't be starting that program till around next Tuesday.

Today was technically session 1 of week 6 so the last session.

Programming wise, I am usually not able to maintain the lifts expected of me.

I.E - today was Bench 4 x 8 @ 65% + 15kg but I didn't get 4 x 8 - I went 8,7,6,6 - I'm meant to hit the reps but feel the programming is a tad off in the last week or 2 and the target reps are not achievable.

Anyway - today's workout was

Bench 4 x 8 @ 65% + 15kg

30 Deg Inc DB Press - 4 x 10

Pull Ups x 40 - as few sets as possible

Barbell Rows - 4 x 8

Side Raises 3 x 15

Superset;

preacher curls 3 x 12
    DB skull crushers 3 x 12

Job done, solid session. Set me up for the day.

Macro's;

P - 181g
    C - 261g
    F - 63g

Hit targets bang on today. Making a concentrated effort to keep carbs at 240-260g. Hoping to be in the 84.5 to 84.9kg bracket tomorrow.

Supplements today were basic - No supps around workout, I got protein samples from work to try - Cellucor Whey, Proto Whey & Myofusion. I just drink 1 in the morning 1st meal with oats, I usually grab what I feel like at the time. I'm not into this WPI nonsense like it'll make a difference. Also, high quality magnesium at night. I do sleep better using Ultra Muscleze by Bioceuticals.

legs tomorrow morning...

W - 84.7

Dropped weight as expected, hoped for a 84.5 to 84.9 and was bang in the middle. really happy that I'm continuing to show drops on average on what are more than manageable calories (for me)

Spoke with my programmer last night, and we've decided to proceed with the new phase of training.

Mainly due to the fact it's fully tailored to current abilities. I won't back squat or free squat in any nature until I know full well that I can and will proper loads. I'll hack squat. To not encourage any more spasms he's added a semi stiff legged rack pull and not a deadlift.

Lots of the compound movements work off RPE and not a % of max. i don't have a 1RM on hack squat, and can't really test it either.

I will do my leg session this morning from original phase as planned.

Tomorrow I'll commence my new phase, week 1 is as always a lower volume blueprint of what is to come, but a good way to ease into a new program. I'll be doing an upper body workout tomorrow.

I'll post final leg workout later, and macros intake for the day. Today should be a higher calorie day, and because my weight has dropped I probably will have my 350g carbs.

Today's macro's on a re-feed;

P - 197
    C - 362
    F - 71

Trained legs this morning, but added in some exercises that are in my next phase to gauge where i'm at strength wise...

A1 - hack squat, 3 x 8
    A2 - semi stiff legged rack pulls 3 x 8

B1 - Leg Press, 3 x 12
    B2 - BB hip thrusts - 3 x 10

C1 - back step lunge 2 x 8
    C2 - standing calf raise 2 x 12

D1 - cable crunches 3 x 20
    D2 - garhammers 3 x 12

Start new program tomorrow, upper body session - quite detailed and a very welcome challenge to see If i have it in me to get stage ready.

W - 85.0kg

up a tad, but did a 're-feed' yesterday. smaller increase in weight this week after the re-feed vs last week.

Started new phase today. Going to be a good one, all phases start off easy and increase over the weeks.

Today was session #1 of week 1;

Bench 2 x 7

Weighted Pull Ups 2 x 8

30 Deg Inc DB Press 2 10

30 Deg Inc Prone DB Row 2 x 10

Superset;

Side raises 2 x 15
    Standing Straight Bar Curl 2 x 12
    Decline DB Skull Crushers 2 x 15

Job done, felt like a pump session. Looking at the program, as always, I think to myself - 'how will I be able to cope with weeks 5 & 6'? normally I can cope, as the weeks go on, I get 'fitter' or adapt to the increasing volume.

This phase really is a big important phase. It'll take to up to 8 weeks out from the show. Leaving another 6 week phase, then the 2 weeks pre contest which will be a final week of high volume followed by the last week which (if I'm lean enough) will be a semi deplete, with an aggressive carb load.

In the zone, looking forward to training Fri, Sat, Mon & Tue. With Sunday off.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast