Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 20 week Prep - Road to defending State Title

Overall phase summary;

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 8.12.04 PM.jpg

Top bar graph = total reps lifted per week

Middle = total weight lifted per week

Bottom = average weight lifted per week

pretty happy with this. As my final week isn't all that impressive, it shows no specific improvement, if anything slight regression which is a no-no.

This has prompted a de-load week, to freshen up somewhat and recover as much as possible - returning to full energy to commence a hard 5 week phase.

W - 82.9

Up a tad, but still down appreciably on last week.

I forgot I had 1 scoop of ON Whey Cookies & Cream, and didn't factor that in to my macros yesterday;

So this;

macros;
    P - 184g
    C - 253g
    F - 65g

Becomes;

macros;
    P - 209g
    C - 253g
    F - 65g

Which is too high. And could have contributed to the increase.

I've altered things today to this;

P - 186g
    C - 245g
    F - 46g

Did a 45 minute walk tonight.

Lower calories today, want to keep the weight to 82.2 to 82.7 for this week.

I got my new phase training program, and it's quite good - very strategic, and this is why i pay someone to make a fat loss orientated training program for me.

It's a 5 day split, much like before.

In my past phase - weeks 5 & 6 go up in
    volume to the highest I'll perform.

For my upcoming phase, the focus has shifted to the point where volume builds up only slightly in weeks 2 & 3, and for me it's a case of maintaining or trying to increase strength as the weeks count down. With the really high volume it's hard to expect me to gain strength when I'm adding sets on to exercises week after week.

We believe I've got the right condition for this point out (around equivalent to 6 weeks out last year) but the key is to maintain strength, keep performance high and keep the compound lifts strong.

The first week which starts tomorrow is a de-load. Though I have to not take it easy and still lift a higher RPE effort based on the reps.

This week my aim is to not lose any weight. This will give me time to adjust to the feelings of dieting which are starting to become more noticeable as I get leaner.

My aim is still to be 'ready' 2-3 weeks out.

W - 82.7

Ok, so into that ideal bracket of 82.2 to 82.7. Hoping to sit there till Wednesday of next week.

Trained session 1 of phase 8 today. This week being a strategic de-load. I'm aiming for 8-9 hours of good sleep, not as much movement... but the fine balance of movement + calorie intake + training to sit in the 82.2 to 82.7 bracket for this week.

chest/back;

Bench - 2 x 8

Pull Ups x 20

Inc DB Press 2 x 10

Barbell Row 2 x 10

Superset;
    Lean Away Cable Side Laterals 2 x 15
    Seated Ez bar Preacher Curl 2 x 12
    Kneeling Tricep Cable Pushdown 2 x 15

Now of course there is more to the program than the above. Tempo comes in to it, and rest periods are monitored to a tee.

Macro's today;
    P - 199g
    C - 234g
    F - 45g

Protein up, it was bolus fed through out my day. I was up at 345am, had a bit on before work and was itching to get back in the gym, and didn't want a 2nd day off in a row.

Did a 45 minute walk tonight.

Won't train tomorrow - I have remedial massage. My right shoulder is causing me a tad of grief when benching, will get glutes & pec minor/major.

I will then train early on Friday - session 2, week 1 of phase 8 - legs.

W - 82.7

Same weight again - aiming for 82.2 to 82.7 for another 4-5 days.

Didn't train today. I have a clear routine in place;

Friday - legs
    Saturday - chest back
    Sunday - legs
    Monday - shoulders arms
    Tuesday - off
    Wednesday - chest back
    Thursday - off

Macros for today;

P - 194g
    C - 238g
    F - 51g

I'll be upping my fats again soon. No specific reason for lowering, just compensating the high protein (up 14g today) - also trying to start within a certain weight bracket.

Had remedial massage today. Lady was very good. She did a great job, not I need to do my end of maintenance too.

I'll be seeing her every 2 weeks up to the show.

Anyway, up early tomorrow for a 40 min drive to the gym for legs, then a 40 minute drive back for work.

W - 82.3

Down a bit, will keep in the 82.2 to 82.7 bracket.

macros today;

P - 200g
    C - 259g
    F - 57g

ok, so protein is 20g too high, and carbs 19g too high. Kept fat low and was 13g under. Overall calories were spot on. Will need to tighten up on this a little and adhere to the numbers I'm really aiming to get.

Trained tonight, Legs - De-load week session 2 of 5.

Hack Squat - 2 x 8
    Deads - 2 x 8
    DB Bulgarian Split Squat - 2 x 10
    Seated Hammy Curl - 2 x 10
    Standing Calf Raise - 2 x 12
    Crunches - 2 x 30 secs
    Cable Paloff Press - 2 x 30 secs each side.

Was a bit harder than expected. After this de-load week I'm going to try and train early all the time. I train way better early.

Also, I do usually do lots of 'warm up sets' so say on Hack Squat as an example;

W/U - just rack for 10 reps
    W/U - just rack for 10 reps
    W/U - 25% of working weight for 8
    W/U - 50% of working weight for 8
    W/U - 75% of working weight for 6

Then I'll see how I feel and I might feel like another warm up of;

W/U - 90% for 1-2 reps (as a tester)

With Deads, I'll do a somewhat similar build up to working sets but only half the 'warm up sets'

Chest/Back tomorrow. Expect to weigh a tad more tomorrow compared to today.

W - 82.4

So going to finish this weeks average with around about 0.2kg loss. Which is great, I made no effort to lose weight this week, and won't for another 3 days. Once I step it up a gear, weight should start to drop again and I'll enter the 81kg bracket.

Trained chest/back;

Bench - 2 x 6+
    Inc DB Press - 2 x 10
    Banded Press Ups - 1 x 15
    Pull Ups x 20
    Pendlay Row - 2 x 10
    Seated Neutral Cable Row - 1 x 15

Mind, this is a de-load week. Not hard training. Aim is to lift what I usually lift, it's just a large drop in volume.

Walked in the afternoon for 40 minutes to increase movement and to hopefully stay within 82.2 to 82.7 bracket.

Ate out tonight with my wife;

meal - 2 x chicken breast, 1 white roll (not buttered) garnish and hot spices added.

Not a cheat meal. Hate that phrase. It's a meal that more than fits in with my calorie requirements.

Macros;
    P - 195g
    C - 247g
    F - 58g

a little high with pro again and a tad over with cho but under on fat so levelled out.

feeling quite satiated tonight. have a leg session tomorrow which will go;

Hack Squat
    Walking DB Lunges
    Deads
    Prone Hammy Curl
    Weighted Crunches
    Renegade Rows

W - 82.7

within the bracket. average weight this week was; 82.6

Mind I wasn't trying to lose, so I'm happy with the average considering the previous week was 82.8.

I'm not actively trying to drop any weight until Wednesday when I start session 1 of week 2 and the volume is ramped up.

Trained legs today;

Hack Squat - 3 x 6+
    Deads - 2 x 10
    Walking DB Lunges - 3 x 10 ea leg
    Prone Hammy Curl - 2 x 8
    Weighted Crunches 2 x 30 secs
    Renegade Rows - 2 x 30 secs

Easy enough session. Happy to be deadlifting pre show this year. I was plagued last year with lower back issues probably caused by brutal tightness through certain muscles that I'm not beginning to address.

Macros;

P - 188g
    C - 245g
    F - 60g

Did some walking in the PM, around 35 mins all in.

Will go out tonight for another walk for around 20 minutes.

Moving forward, some plans;

Remedial massage;
    6 weeks out
    4 weeks out
    2 weeks out
    3 days out (if necessary)

Supplements;
    Have just secured some Evogen support. Not through Hany himself, but through the prime importer of sports nutrition in the southern hemisphere. I'm not a shill, i'll use the products (I chose Evogen) as I believe they suit me quite well - I've chosen to use, Carnigen, IsoJect & AminoJect. Its not a sponsorship. After nearly 9 years working in the supplement industry it's nice to get someone to reach out and after some support.

Early morning training only;
    No more night training. Energy is zapped at night, getting up early and getting it done. The only down side of getting up early is that you can consume much of your calories very early on. I do eat around 50g to 60g of carbs 1st things. I can easily get this down to 25g or less, will see if I can adapt. Only need to do this when training early, so I can consume more carbs as the day goes on.

Skinfolds;
    On the hunt for an ISAK Approved anthropologist now.

Will train tomorrow, shoulders & arms.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 5.00.33 PM.jpg

W - 82.4

good start to the week. after Wednesday it's game on.

Shoulders & Arms today (final session of de-load);

Military Press - 2 x 8

superset;
    Barbell Curl - 2 x 8
    DB Skull Crushers - 2 x 10

superset;
    Cable Drag Curls - 2 x 12
    Cable Straight Bar Pushdowns - 2 x 12

Run the Rack Side Laterals - 1 x 10/10/10/10 - start heavy, and work down the rack.

Done. Final session of week 1. I look forward to the challenge of upping my volume which starts on Wednesday.

Was very active today at work, non-stop moving, and lifting. Also did a 40 minute walk at night time.

Macros;
    P - 186g
    C - 236g
    F - 62g

Pretty much spot on for today. Should be able to maintain my weight tomorrow, before ramping it up on Wednesday.

No training tomorrow. Due a day off, will walk either early or late, depends on how I feel when I wake up.

W - 82.3

Lightest yet, on target for another drop this week, and tomorrow is my first day of high volume!

No training today, want to be fresh for tomorrows early session which is Chest & Back.

Wasn't overly active today, did go for a 15 minute walk tonight, which isn't very much but it's a nice time to clear the mind and re-focus for what is ahead.

Macro's;
    P - 177g
    C - 245g
    F - 61g

On target there. Away to get organised for tomorrow, and will probably train legs on the Thursday and not Friday. Will see how things go.

W - 81.9

Lulz, made it into 81's before stepping up my training. Took me to about 3 weeks out from last comp to really establish myself in the 81's. at 6 weeks out i did get a 81.9 but for the following 2 weeks i jumped to 82s.

what is weird is this year my weight fluctuates nowhere near as bad, last year is was up and down daily.

Trained chest & back

bench - 4 x 8 - shocking performance on bench press, felt heavy. makes me think i'll need re-feed but all other lifts were ok

pull ups x 25

30 deg inc db press - 3 x 10

bent over bb rows - 3 x 10

superset;
    lean away cable side laterals - 3 x 15
    seated preacher ez bar curl - 3 x 12
    kneeling cable rope tricep pushdown - 3 x 15

done. then a fast walk for 10 mins on 7 deg incline at 7 kph.

didn't move too much throughout the day, though after work I did extend my movement by going to a few stores and doing some manual lifting/walking so it all adds up.

macro's
    P - 180g
    C - 241g
    F - 69g

closest to perfect yet.

it's actually 28.7.2016 and I weighed 81.9 again today. i think i could be ready 3 weeks out but we'll see.

i'll train legs today and post later.

this weekend i'll get video and pics for updating this blog.

W - 81.9

same weight as yesterday.

trained legs this morning;

hack squat 3 x 8
    deads 3 x 8
    bulgarian split squat 3 x 10
    seated hammy curl 3 x 10
    standing calf raise 3 x 12
    crunches 3 x 15
    banded paloff press 3 x 12 ea side

job done. not a bad workout, trained at a different gym was hard to focus with the old people training and talking shit.

macros;
    P - 195g
    C - 237g
    F - 67g

it's been a long day, hoping to nab some quality sleep.

no training tomorrow. will train saturday & sunday.

W - 81.9

3 days on the trot now, same weight. No training today, but early this morning I did a fast paced 35 minute walk, and will go for another walk soon before bed for 20-25 minutes to keep things ticking over.

Macros;
    P - 189g
    C - 236g
    F - 64g

Chest & Back tomorrow. Early session.

I took a video this morning upon waking, but I don't think it did me justice in the lighting, so I'll take another one tomorrow in better lighting.

Solid log man, i'm sure you're gonna make big improvements from last time

Quote Originally Posted by CMC191 View Post
    Solid log man, i'm sure you're gonna make big improvements from last time
    thanks CMC.. The log is a tad repetitive I feel, but that's comp prep I guess!

thanks

**POSING VIDEO UPDATE**

W - 82.2

so after 3 days of being 81.9, a small jump but I can live with that.

Here is my 7 week out video. Quite a bit leaner than 7 weeks out last year, and only 1kg lighter just now.

https://vimeo.com/176814320

video taken at 5am, only ate 300 kcals 1 hour before. Pre training, not pumped.

Above is a video from today, and weight.

For the remainder of today;

I trained chest & back;

Bench 3 x 6+
    Inc DB Press 3 x 10
    banded press ups 2 x 15/20
    pull ups x 25
    pendlay row 3 x 10
    seated close grip cable row 2 x 15

done. weakening a bit in the bench, and DB's - just zapped. muscles failing to contract too quick!! i made a macro change today as follows;

I went much lower fat, and increased carbs more.

P - 200g
    C - 288g
    F - 40g

Pro up 20g
    Cho up 46g
    Fat down 30g

calories balanced off. not too fussed if i weigh in heavier tomorrow (i don't think i will) as I'm running at an average weight loss this week of 0.5kg.

being 7 weeks out i'm being really alert to performance issues. over dieting is no joke, and sneaks up very suddenly.

I did a 40 minute walk tonight.

legs tomorrow, i don't seem to have any performance concerns here. i did some extensive rotator cuff work, and pec stretching after training and will continue to do so after bench days.

W - 82.1

Avg weight this week was 82.1 - a 0.5kg loss on last weeks average.

Got up silly early today at 330am. I like getting up early to train when the gym is quiet, but it makes it a long ass day and I need to spread my food out so ate my final kcals at 6pm :-s

trained legs;

Hack Squat - 3 x 6+
    Deads - 3 x 10
    DB Walking Lunges - 3 x 10
    Prone Hammy Curl - 3 x 8
    Weighted Crunches - 3 x 30 secs
    Cable Crunches - 3 x 30 secs

Was active for most of the day. Sounds silly to some, but extra movement helps and reduces the 'risk' of having to do cardio. ended up doing a 25 minute walk at night to make sure movement was up with other days.

macros;
    P - 193g
    C - 239g
    F - 62g

I usually have a protein bar most days, like a quest bar or a oh yeah one bar - i'm seriously thinking of canning them. i don't feel satiated even in the slightest.

I'm going to replace a typical protein bar with something like 50g low fat muesli + a scoop of whey isolate. I have this type of meal for 2 reasons - 1 it's quick and easy and I have it around midday when I'm busiest at work. And 2, it is a mental relief to eat something out-with the norm. I do this daily, it allows me to diet for much longer periods and get ready.

that'd be more satisfying and the macro's would be way more accurate.

7 weeks out today. To me I hope to be completely ready 3 weeks out and will implement a carb protocol which could be to up carbs by 20g every 2-3 days.

so;

21 days out - 242g
    20 days out - 242g
    19 days out - 262g
    18 - 262g
    17 - 282g
    16 - 282g
    15 - 282g
    14 - 302g

fast forward to;
    11 days out 322g

8 days out - 344g

and cruise from there on around 350g a day.

what'd be important is accurate tracking of macros, movement, training volume and bodyweight.

regular pics and posing would help.

if i walk onstage 82kg again this year, i'll be happy.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast