Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 week Prep - Road to defending State Title

W - 81.4kg

A decent drop, didn't expect this. A great start to the week mentally.

trained early - shoulders/arms

A - Military Press 3 x 8
    B1 - Standing Straight Bar Bicep Curl - 3 x 8
    B2 - Decline DB Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
    C1 - Cable Drag Curl - 3 x 12
    C2 - Straight Bar Tricep Pushdown - 3 x 12
    D - Run the Rack Side Laterals - 2 x 10/10/10/10

10 mins walk 6.5 kph @ 7 deg incline.

So that is week 2 of phase 8 finished.

My phases last 6 weeks, the end of this phase will take me to exactly 3 weeks out. From there I'll consult my programmer/coach and work out the plan for the final 3 weeks.

Macros;
    P - 180g
    C - 230g
    F - 72g

spot on, almost.

Was fairly active all day today, moving around at work more than usual.

After work I went for a fast walk, took around 15 mins. Feel fairly comfortable that I'll weigh in the 81's tomorrow.

No training tomorrow. Will try sleep till 7am if possible. I usually get up around 4am.

W - 81.4

Again, same weight. already 1.9kg ahead of last week. Tomorrow will be a very early start and a late finish, so by Thursday onwards I may get in to the 80's!!

If I do touch 80's, I'll be re-feeding on Saturday. We'll see.

No training today. Getting an irritating pain in my right wrist. Especially when squeezing, I think it's the angle and stress on the wrists when using a straight bar to curl.

Macro's for today;
    P - 182g
    C - 241g
    F - 61g

No major movement today. I'm going to a stroll tonight but not going to count it towards my usual higher paced walks.

Overall, a bit of a rest day today. Back into it tomorrow;

W - Chest & Back
    T - Probably off. As having a long Wednesday, and have remedial massage work Thursday PM.
    F - Legs
    S - Chest & Back
    S - Legs
    M - Shoulders & Arms.

This seems to be the routine.

^^ Do you feel the higher frequency of bodyparts throughout the week is better than the typical 1 bodypart per week type split? Just curious. I have been thinking about hitting everything 2x a week but dropping volume down a bit each workout

Hi CMC,

I prefer it, and can attest to the improvements made from going to a twice a week split.

Prior to Novemeber 2014 (before I began using a programmer) I used to just train random once a week pyramid style with no tracking. A bit haphazard and not organised, really.

Even though over 2 workouts the volume per workout might be a tad lower than If I were to train each part once per week, I find the workouts are more productive and manageable.

Longer, higher volume - once per week training for me isn't ideal. I compromise technique when reaching too far for more volume/exercises.

And most of my workouts do not go over 1 hour anymore, which I prefer. None of my workouts go below 45 mins, most seem to last 50-55 mins which suits my routine/lifestyle well.

Quote Originally Posted by Guvnor View Post
    Hi CMC,

I prefer it, and can attest to the improvements made from going to a twice a week split.

Prior to Novemeber 2014 (before I began using a programmer) I used to just train random once a week pyramid style with no tracking. A bit haphazard and not organised, really.

Even though over 2 workouts the volume per workout might be a tad lower than If I were to train each part once per week, I find the workouts are more productive and manageable.

Longer, higher volume - once per week training for me isn't ideal. I compromise technique when reaching too far for more volume/exercises.

And most of my workouts do not go over 1 hour anymore, which I prefer. None of my workouts go below 45 mins, most seem to last 50-55 mins which suits my routine/lifestyle well.
    It makes sense to do bodyparts multiple times per week. I have always done 1 bp per week just because I have always done that and i'm not big on change. However, i've plateaued with my progress it seems.. Not to mention, I am pretty much addicted to fully exhausting a muscle group and feel I don't do enough if i'm not wore out.

I appreciate your input man, thanks.

I'll be looking into different splits here pretty soon... Looking forward to trying something new

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

I hit a good number on bench the other day. Then I did one more single and some triceps. I almost felt guilty for not doing some more bench work after my two singles but I feel fantastic at the moment. It's not always about "crushing it". Sometimes (actually most times), I feel it's better to leave some in the tank. The body only has so many reserves to train, digest food, handle stress etc. Some of those things we can't control but training we can. So why not hit it pretty good but leave enough so the body as a whole isn't completely trashed? That way it has enough to handle the rest of life and hopefully recuperate and progress. Just my thought process anyway.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

W - 81.2

Another drop :-s

Massive long day today. Non-stop movement. TBH, probably the most active I've been this prep. Started the day at 430am, and didn't sit down until 930pm.

Trained around 730am;

Bench - 4 x 8
    Pull Ups x 30
    In DB Press - 3 x 10
    Barbell Row - 3 x 10
    Superset;
    Side Laterals - 3 x 15
    Ez Bar Preacher Curl - 3 x 12
    Kneeling Rope Tricep Pushdowns - 3 x 15

Good session, felt strong. Bench was better today vs last week.

No specific bouts of cardio, Just mass movement all day.

Macros;

P - 207
    C - 234
    F - 66

So, Pro a tad up. Bolus fed every 2.5 to 3 hours. As an example I ate the following;

Meal 1 - 50g summer fruit muesli, 30g Natural Cacoa flavoured yoghurt, blueberries & 1 scoop of Iso Ject from Evogen

Pre Training - MAN Pump
    Intra - 1 serve Amino Ject
    Post - nothing

Meal 2 - 125g Basmati Rice, 115g Chicken Breast, Veg, green peppers low calorie bbq sauce

Meal 3 - 50g Low Fat Muesli, 1 scoop gold standard whey, blueberries - 1 x whey whip protein ball (110 kcals)

Meal 4 - 125g Basmati rice, 115g chicken breast, veg, red peppers, low carb bbq sauce

Meal 5 - Salmon (35g pro), Pasta (fcuk all, around 20g carb) mixed veg

Meal 6 - 100g chicken, veg, red pepper. was hungry and had some carbs I could eat so munched on a measly 25g of low fat muesli.

all in that is how I hit my macros.

i've replaced the usual protein bar with a 50g muesli, and whey. Much easier to track and more enjoyable/satiating.

I usually have chicken breast, but try to add a fish in there. Salmon is what I have during the week and with pasta (tiny amount) and on weekends I'll get a more expensive white fish.

I don't have post workout nutrition. it robs me of food.

tomorrow i don't know what I'll weigh. although I hit my macro's today, and went a tad over on the Pro - i don't know what will happen. will see soon.

no training tomorrow. remedial massage in the PM. might have a lower carb day tomorrow, depending on how I feel and my weight.

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    I hit a good number on bench the other day. Then I did one more single and some triceps. I almost felt guilty for not doing some more bench work after my two singles but I feel fantastic at the moment. It's not always about "crushing it". Sometimes (actually most times), I feel it's better to leave some in the tank. The body only has so many reserves to train, digest food, handle stress etc. Some of those things we can't control but training we can. So why not hit it pretty good but leave enough so the body as a whole isn't completely trashed? That way it has enough to handle the rest of life and hopefully recuperate and progress. Just my thought process anyway.
    Thats a good thought process to have for sure. I agree fully, but most of the times i'm just an all or nothing type guy. Thats usually why I cant stick to a set in stone program because I feel like I have way more energy to do more, etc..

W - 81.2

Another drop :-s

Massive long day today. Non-stop movement. TBH, probably the most active I've been this prep. Started the day at 430am, and didn't sit down until 930pm.

Trained around 730am;

Bench - 4 x 8
    Pull Ups x 30
    In DB Press - 3 x 10
    Barbell Row - 3 x 10
    Superset;
    Side Laterals - 3 x 15
    Ez Bar Preacher Curl - 3 x 12
    Kneeling Rope Tricep Pushdowns - 3 x 15

Good session, felt strong. Bench was better today vs last week.

No specific bouts of cardio, Just mass movement all day.

Macros;

P - 207
    C - 234
    F - 66

So, Pro a tad up. Bolus fed every 2.5 to 3 hours. As an example I ate the following;

Meal 1 - 50g summer fruit muesli, 30g Natural Cacoa flavoured yoghurt, blueberries & 1 scoop of Iso Ject from Evogen

Pre Training - MAN Pump
    Intra - 1 serve Amino Ject
    Post - nothing

Meal 2 - 125g Basmati Rice, 115g Chicken Breast, Veg, green peppers low calorie bbq sauce

Meal 3 - 50g Low Fat Muesli, 1 scoop gold standard whey, blueberries - 1 x whey whip protein ball (110 kcals)

Meal 4 - 125g Basmati rice, 115g chicken breast, veg, red peppers, low carb bbq sauce

Meal 5 - Salmon (35g pro), Pasta (fcuk all, around 20g carb) mixed veg

Meal 6 - 100g chicken, veg, red pepper. was hungry and had some carbs I could eat so munched on a measly 25g of low fat muesli.

all in that is how I hit my macros.

i've replaced the usual protein bar with a 50g muesli, and whey. Much easier to track and more enjoyable/satiating.

I usually have chicken breast, but try to add a fish in there. Salmon is what I have during the week and with pasta (tiny amount) and on weekends I'll get a more expensive white fish.

I don't have post workout nutrition. it robs me of food.

tomorrow i don't know what I'll weigh. although I hit my macro's today, and went a tad over on the Pro - i don't know what will happen. will see soon.

no training tomorrow. remedial massage in the PM. might have a lower carb day tomorrow, depending on how I feel and my weight.

Diet looks good. I've enjoyed this log man, good stuff

thanks CMC, I appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    You're right.. Within the gym culture there is a mentality that you have to fail or train to very near failure with extra exertion or you haven't 'done enough'.

TBH, just now, I couldn't be bothered with failure training. It'd be worthless, dangerous and pointless.

Or Leg day, guys have to train to the point they can't walk. I'd rather split the workout over 2 days, and be able to walk. Higher volume 5-6 days a week FTW.

You're right.. Within the gym culture there is a mentality that you have to fail or train to very near failure with extra exertion or you haven't 'done enough'.

TBH, just now, I couldn't be bothered with failure training. It'd be worthless, dangerous and pointless.

Or Leg day, guys have to train to the point they can't walk. I'd rather split the workout over 2 days, and be able to walk. Higher volume 5-6 days a week FTW.
    That would be me you are describing then haha. I plan on changing a few things pretty soon. I may run a few things by you and tjoe and get some feedback

W - 81.4

Still well ahead this week. I wouldn't mind staying around 81.2 to 81.5 for the Fri, Sat & Sun. Will still register a very appreciable loss this week.

No training today. Not overly active either. Only got around 6 hours sleep due to late night work, later than usual bed time and woke up around 5am.

Had remedial massage again. The lady I see is gold. Focus heavily on both pecs, quads and mid/upper back. She gives really good feedback on what is alarmingly tight, and what is sitting quite good.

Macros;
    P - 207g
    C - 225g
    F - 58g

so carbs down by around 20g, fats 12g under but Pro up around 27g. Kcals still about 5% under what I aim for.

Didn't suffer today food wise, all went well.

meal 1 - 75g Museli, 1 scoop isoject, 1 table spoon yoghurt, maple syrup (kcal free), blueberries

meal 2 - 125g basmati rice, 110g chicken breast, mixed veg, calorie free sauce, 25g brazil nuts

meal 3 - 175g turkey breast, 100g sweet potato, mixed veg

meal 4 - 125g basmati rice, 110g chicken breast, mixed veg, calorie free sauce

meal 5 - 140g salmon, mixed veg, tomato sauce

meal 6 - 1 scoop isoject, 50g low fat muesli, blueberries, 8g chai seeds

done. last prep I was partial to eating a Lenny & Larry cookie daily. 55g carbs, 16g protein... not the best nutritional composition. Also sometimes whey whip balls which are 225 kcals.

Basically unsatisfying foods. I don't have the desire to eat them this time around, I don't think it'll make a massive difference to the end result. I think the whole food with better food composition & fibre offers a more satisfied self.

early training tomorrow, leg day - big session. Could be a 4am start so better get ready for tomorrow.

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMC191 View Post
    That would be me you are describing then haha. I plan on changing a few things pretty soon. I may run a few things by you and tjoe and get some feedback
    anytime bud.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

W - 81.2

Back down again but within my ideal 81.2 to 81.5, as this weeks weight loss has again been surprisingly high!

Trained early this morning, was up at 4am, drive to gym and training at 530am - Legs

Hack Squat - 4 x 7
    Deads - 3 x 8
    Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 10
    Seated Hammy Curl - 3 x 10
    Standing Calf Raises 3 x 12

Abs;
    Cable Paloff Press 2 x 30 secs
    Cable Crunches 2 x 30 secs
    Decline Crunches 2 x 30 secs

Done. No specific walk or additional movement today other than a normal working day. With being up early, I'm technically moving for longer which is fine by me. Pretty tired just now, need a decent sleep. Up at 5am tomorrow for a 615am training session - chest & back.

Macros;
    P - 187g
    C - 252g
    F - 64g

Cho up a tad, but was starving on the regular today. Getting up early has down sides as I feel more hungry as I eat my food earlier etc.

Anyway, only 6 weeks and 1 day left.

I got a job interview on Tuesday, massive opportunity. If I hypothetically get this role, it could change my prep. Not sure if I need to go interstate to get trained up. I'm jumping the gun thinking about that kind of thing, but was a worrying thought that I may need to can the prep or prep while training interstate! We'll see.....

Good luck on the interview. Same type career, just better overall?

Quote Originally Posted by CMC191 View Post
    Good luck on the interview. Same type career, just better overall?
    Thanks CMC, I work in retail operations within the supplement industry but this is an interview for Glanbia (ON, BSN, Isopure) for State Manager. A job I've always wanted so very keen to perform well and try fit in there!

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast