Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong with Modern Bodybuilding? - Dorian Yates Gives His Candid View

Default What's Wrong with Modern Bodybuilding? - Dorian Yates Gives His Candid View

A lot of truth in his words.

«Humanity has been led by failures.»

These days you are out of shape if you don't have striated glutes, love it or hate it that wasn't the case when Dorian competed. As far as 'modern bodybuilding' goes, a lot (a lot) of fans would consider Dorian that ushered in the look of modern or rather current bodybuilders. Before him Mr. Olympias had noticeably narrower waists on more aesthetic physiques (Lee Haney was big but still had a more athletic, Arnold-esque look). Dorian was perhaps the first ever true mass monster and freak, he brought something new and astonishing and changed the game, it is why he became champ. Different generations, different looks, approaches, etc, the new generation is not better or worse than the last just as Dorian's is not better or worse than Arnold's.

Modern bodybuilding is actually in the middle of a transition as waist lines are coming back down. Roelly and Phil have brought theirs in and this years O looks to be stacked, even without Kai, it will even have Kevin as an intriguing side story. Hell I'd argue this year saw one of the best ever NY PRO line-ups ever, not just in name rec but actual competitiveness the day of the show. Literally places 2-7 could have been re-arranged a number of ways.

I just love bodybuilding, period. I cant stand how a lot of people just want to complain about the sport, "back in my day we did it like this."..."back in this era, we did this or that." and yada yada yada, of course there is a golden era in every sport, but that doesn't mean people have to complain every time they watch or go to a modern day sporting event, if you don't like the way a certain sport has gone then simply don't watch, all people seem to do in this era is complain, they make it seem like guys today don't bust their ass, it's pretty disrespectful to the current class of athletes IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth69 View Post
    I just love bodybuilding, period. I cant stand how a lot of people just want to complain about the sport, "back in my day we did it like this."..."back in this era, we did this or that." and yada yada yada, of course there is a golden era in every sport, but that doesn't mean people have to complain every time they watch or go to a modern day sporting event, if you don't like the way a certain sport has gone then simply don't watch, all people seem to do in this era is complain, they make it seem like guys today don't bust their ass, it's pretty disrespectful to the current class of athletes IMO.
    We complain because we are not complacent!
    When you witness your beloved art and sport degrade into something less than its potential, you become vocal about it. That's how you initiate change.

I couldn't care less about sets, reps, weight, and frequency as long as a competitor brings their best come game day.

I found it funny that he mentioned Nasser and Kevin, but not Shawn.
    I stop me....no one else does.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
    Not surprised! Nobody likes Shawn. lol jk

Dorian is spot on!

Conditioning & Rivalries are a thing if the past!

Strength & Honor!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
    He was referring to how some think it's easier for smaller guys (like Shawn) to get in shape.
    He cited himself, Kevin, and Nasser as bigger guys who DID get in shape, so that's why he used their names and not Shawn's in that case.

He's right. Whenever I watch any current BB workout in their videos its always boring and just pumping and counting reps. Always stopping well short of failure. Thats why they look soft and round. No heavy lifting at all. I think Dallas is the only one that actually lifts heavy and goes to failure. Gurus and social media cheerleaders killed it too. WTF? You cant figure out what works for you and YOUR body? Crazy.

The truth right there!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoph View Post
    He was referring to how some think it's easier for smaller guys (like Shawn) to get in shape.
    He cited himself, Kevin, and Nasser as bigger guys who DID get in shape, so that's why he used their names and not Shawn's in that case.
    Lol

Strength & Honor!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
    He's right. Whenever I watch any current BB workout in their videos its always boring and just pumping and counting reps. Always stopping well short of failure. Thats why they look soft and round. No heavy lifting at all. I think Dallas is the only one that actually lifts heavy and goes to failure. Gurus and social media cheerleaders killed it too. WTF? You cant figure out what works for you and YOUR body? Crazy.
    So much broscience lmao.....really dude? STFU

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenAgeBodybuilding View Post
    So much broscience lmao.....really dude? STFU
    Bodybuilding.com is that way------------->

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
    Bodybuilding.com is that way------------->
    The irony, according to you...always stopping short of failure = soft and round. Sigh.............dude....plz go

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ray View Post
    Lol

Strength & Honor!
    No idea what the Hell this means......lol......but I'm assuming Shawn once again thinks he's been dissed.....

Neither Dorian's comment nor my clarification was a knock on Shawn.....The comments were about the larger competitors supposedly not being able to get as lean as smaller competitors, and how Dorian, Kevin, and Nasser were exceptions.

Shawn was actually one of the few of that era who was conditioned from top to bottom, back to front, with no weak points in terms of muscle groups.

It's just that he was three apples high, and, well.....it hurt him.........Now THAT was a diss on Shawn....lol.

But hey, he is one of the all-time greats regardless of stupid shit like Olympia wins, etc.

Love ya SR !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast