Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 141 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Home of IFBB Pro Shawn Ray

Shawn:

I asked in a diff forum but Im curious your take on this because u know alot of pro's over time. At what age is it too late to become an IFBB pro e.g. if one started to lift late 20s, early 30s is it too late for them to even think of getting a pro card even if they have genetics/training/diet etc on par with people who started younger. Meaning is it that almost all pro's got serious with lifting at a very young age and even competed by their early 20s. So if your over 25 is it no chance to become a pro. I had mentioned Toney Freeman is the only person I know of who did this.

*if one started to lift late 20s, early 30s is it too late for them to even think of getting a pro card even if they have genetics/training/diet etc So if your over 25 is it no chance to become a pro. I had mentioned Toney Freeman is the only person I know of who did this.
    Unlike the 90's, the Majority of the Pro's are now in their 30's before they win their Pro Cards.
    Toney Freeman, is Far fromt he only guy who achieved their Pro Cards after age 25: Flex Wheeler, Kevin Levrone, Bill Wilmore, Troy Alves, Melvin Anthony, Ronnie Coleman, Dexter Jackson, Chris Cormier, Paul Dillett, Dorian Yates,.........need I go on?
    If your trying to get your Pro Card and worried about your age, you might want to consider doing something else. If you get your Pro Card and dont have the intention to try and compete for a while and make some of your Investment back, then what's the Point? This is a Business for most, for those who are in it as a hobby, they will get crushed by those hungry to Cash in!
    Good luck,
    S. Ray

Spotter

Thank you very much for the advice Shawn. I am still in college now and the more I think about it the more I see my interest in the sport growing. In your view, what do you see the business involving in particular? Does it involve going to as many shows as possible to keep your hands on the "pulse" of bodybuilding even if you're not necessarily competing in them?

Be Well,

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Myers; November 4th, 2007 at 10:49 PM.

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

HEY SHAWN what do you think of Evan centopani and Erik Faukenhouser having REAL JOBS outside of BB I think its the wave of the future

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Shawn will you ever write a TELL ALL book about your bodybuilding journey IT WOULD BE A HIT

* In your view, what do you see the business involving in particular? Does it involve going to as many shows as possible to keep your hands on the "pulse" of bodybuilding even if you're not necessarily competing in them?
    The Business involves, Competing- Winning- Marketing- Networking and Negotiating. All that said, you dont have to "Attend" shows but I know in most businesses ala: Hollywood Premiers, Sporting Events, Award Shows, Etc. Most people involved in the various Revenue Generating Businesses support their events and functions. The likelihood of running into a potential Sponsor, future Business Partner, Training Set up is higher due to you attending a BBing Contest than if you were sitting at home. Me personally, I support the Sport, the Athletes and the Business of BBing therefore, I try not to miss the Big Shows and still show up at smaller ones as a show of support to the Promotes and the Up and Comers.
    * HEY SHAWN what do you think of Evan centopani and Erik Faukenhouser having REAL JOBS outside of BB
    I'm all for a guy who has something to fall back on. A JOB is not a negative in this business, in fact it is a nice relief and a support system if the BBing gig fails, which more often than not even if you have success these days, it's short lived.
    * Shawn will you ever write a TELL ALL book about your bodybuilding journey
    I haven't ruled this out but a Tell All implies there is a lot of Dirt and Gossip. I for one would like to put it out there as seen through the eyes of the Man behind the Muscle. This would in fact, entail my Trials, Tribulations, Successes and Journey. I'm not quite there yet but like the sound of it!
    Peace,
    S. Ray

hey shawn whats up!

do you think its better when trying to bulk up, with carbs i take in 6 cups total of oatmeal a day, 2 for breakfast 2 pre workout 2 post workout, do you think it would be better to take in 6 cups split out over 6 meals instead? thanks!

Banned

Wow sure is great to have Shawn here at MD...He's one of my favorite pro's of all time and an awesome person....And hey whenever you comeback to Puerto Rico let me know dude.lolz.

* do you think its better when trying to bulk up, with carbs i take in 6 cups total of oatmeal a day, 2 for breakfast 2 pre workout 2 post workout, do you think it would be better to take in 6 cups split out over 6 meals instead?
    Yo, I have never eaten that much Oatmel in a Day since I first began BBing, so I can't help you with an answer here other than to say, " Did you know there are other forms of Complex Carbs to choose from?"
    * And hey whenever you comeback to Puerto Rico let me know dude.lolz.
    I had a great time in Puerto Rico son! When I come back it will be announced here first, hopefully in 08! Thanks for the Pics!
    Peace,
    S. Ray

ok well how about i say, do you think its better to take carbs in the 3 meals or spread out but the total equals the same

* do you think its better to take carbs in the 3 meals or spread out but the total equals the same
    I only watch my Carbs the last 6 weeks prior to competition. I slowly cut back on their intake by reducing the quantity per serving and replacing them with more Veggie's and Salads.
    Peace,
    S. Ray

will we see shawn ray in the land of aus?

Hey shawn im curious what you would estimate the average spending for a olympia level bodybuilder was for juice in one year... either in your time period or now

*will we see shawn ray in the land of aus?
    I a maybe there this coming year late in 08 but not for BBing. A good friend of mine is becoming a 1st time Father in December and later in the year my family may take a road trip around Dec 08 to visit his new family.
    * Hey shawn im curious what you would estimate the average spending for a olympia level bodybuilder was for juice in one year
    * I couldn't begin to speculate nor do I have the time and intrest to wonder about these types of things when I have a family and business to take care of. I will leave these types of thoughts up to the guy swho think it is important to know, which it is not in the grand scheme of things. It's kinda like asking a long distance runner how much water he drinks in a year to prepare for a race, or Race Driver how much Gas he uses in a given year. Not a real important statistic when your in competition. Only thing that matters is the results you yield on stage not what's invested in getting there.
    Peace,
    S. Ray

cool. if u come to melbourne aus let us know.

Spotter

Hey Shawn,

Thank you for all the advice that you've offered here on the forum so far. I still have Inside and Out and The Final Countdown and they are both great works to watch. I do have some questions though. I just competed in a competition this past Tuesday and was wondering when is a good time to get back into training and an offseason diet after a competition (a week? 2 weeks?). Also, how many weeks out of a contest is usually a good time to start with dieting (I have heard a range from 10 weeks to 20 weeks out)?

Take Care,

Jay

* I just competed in a competition this past Tuesday
    Interesting.............Who the hell holds a Contest on a TUESDAY?
    * when is a good time to get back into training and an offseason diet after a competition (a week? 2 weeks?).
    Listen to your body. Based on how bad you beat it up, you may need a few weeks or only a couple of days. I typically took 1 solid month to not lift weights, do a bit of cardio so I could continue to eat.
    * Also, how many weeks out of a contest is usually a good time to start with dieting (I have heard a range from 10 weeks to 20 weeks out)?
    You heard correct, depending on how much Fat or weight you need to drop. I usually dieted for 12 weeks and dropped about 15 to 20lbs.
    Peace,
    S. Ray

Page 7 of 141 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast