Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Best 212 Bodybuilder of All Time? - Shawn Ray Unleashed Episode 1

Default The Best 212 Bodybuilder of All Time? - Shawn Ray Unleashed Episode 1

makkawy had a very good back, but his hams would not match up to some of the other guys mentioned.
    padilla was very good, beat robby many times imo.
    samir i agree with, very underrated mr olympia.
    priest didnt have a great back, but his hams were very good and when he was on he was detailed enough from the back to beat flex lewis. he also beat nasser, dillet, ronnie, cormier, fux and many other big bbers flex wouldnt beat. i also dont think flex would place top 12 now, let alone top 6 in the 90īs.
    shawn, easily the best 212, if he competed in the 212 he would win as long as he wants, but knowing shawn he wouldnt be in the 212 but the open.
    henry is very good but wouldnt beat shawn, flex, priest, samir or labrada.
    english was just a mess. dead last.

1. shawn
    2. bannout
    3. priest/labrada

For me it's Padilla, Shawn, and Flex Lewis. No particular order bc these guys are in totally different generations.

On a side note I take exception to Shawn saying Flex wouldn't press in the open O. If he didn't have to make the 212 cutoff who knows what damage he could do (look at Bonac for example). I actually think Flex would easily place top 10 and likely top 6. I believe he is better balanced than Dex, better all around than Wolf or Branch, better conditioned than Ramy, Just as freaky parts as Phil or Roelly (just on a shorter frame) but with a tighter midsection, and very competitive with a Rhoden. It would be awesome if Flex wins one more 212 then jumps to the Open finally. I think it will happen next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bsilva View Post
    For me it's Padilla, Shawn, and Flex Lewis. No particular order bc these guys are in totally different generations.

On a side note I take exception to Shawn saying Flex wouldn't press in the open O. If he didn't have to make the 212 cutoff who knows what damage he could do (look at Bonac for example). I actually think Flex would easily place top 10 and likely top 6. I believe he is better balanced than Dex, better all around than Wolf or Branch, better conditioned than Ramy, Just as freaky parts as Phil or Roelly (just on a shorter frame) but with a tighter midsection, and very competitive with a Rhoden. It would be awesome if Flex wins one more 212 then jumps to the Open finally. I think it will happen next year.

I agree completely. Flex would be a better bodybuilder in the open at this point because his muscles just want to grow. He wouldn't beat Shawn Ray as a 212, but I believe he could beat him in the open.

Entertaining video Shawn! Were you primed with a couple cocktails before filming this, or is that just my imagination?

Jose Raymond deserves mentioning here. He's not as aesthetic as those mentioned, (except Kevin English), but for mass and conditioning he's a force. Criticized for his waist, he actually pulls a vacuum pretty well, and his shape is underrated in my opinion. He and Priest could've had some battles.

Good too se m.d is having more video content.
    Stay dedicated to what you love , have a pure heart and God will show you the way ...

Shawn says that in his first Olympia appearance in 1988 he beat Samir, which is incorrect. Samir placed 8th, Shawn 13th. With that said, Samir would never place ahead of Shawn from that point on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Maloney View Post
    Shawn says that in his first Olympia appearance in 1988 he beat Samir, which is incorrect. Samir placed 8th, Shawn 13th. With that said, Samir would never place ahead of Shawn from that point on.
    Sean you are correct!

I should have written Notes but it was a "One-Take" video and I failed to mention Robby Robinson.
    While rambling on about Samir verbally I had planned on bringing the Black Prince, Robby Robinson into the conversation and while I was "thinking" about Robby I was "talking" about Samir and failed to mention how much respect and admiration I had for Robby and that I beat him in my Rookie Olympia.

That said, I had a lot to say and remembered I had beaten Samir but clearly that would have been in 1992 Helsinki, Finland where I placed 4th to Samir's 16th.

Either way, I think you get my point and in the future I'll try to be more Factually Correct.

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Great idea MD! I Like Shawn, Benaziza and Samir! Shawn and Momo were very dense and Momo beat Yates at the NOC! Impressive history lesson Mr. Ray!
    Last edited by mayor of bodybuilding; August 6th, 2016 at 01:39 AM.

Behemoth

I like this video. Shawn, you make a good case!

I think the ONLY person that you can't categorically dismiss is Flex Lewis. I am not 100% convinced he wouldn't have been top 5 in your lineups (at his very best) but you may be right about that too. The only thing I'd like to know is how a 205lb Shawn Ray would be placed by the judges in 2016. Also, does the creation of a 212 class make it impossible for a Shawn Ray or Flex Lewis to compete in the open?

Lee Priest was great for magazines, but he's not in Shawn's universe of accomplishment and fine tuning.

Banned

An entire video of Shawn blowing his out horn, who would have thought. Shawn had zero calves, a long neck which made his back shots look sub par. Zero peak on his biceps . . . Great delts, pecs, and midsection do not make a Mr. Olympia. And what about Mohamed Benaziza? 81 Padilla ( not Padeea ) wipes his ass wilh most ( not to mention his NOC in the 90's.)

Boo

Little Guy

I think Shawn is pretty spot on, but perhaps he dismissed Lee Labrada a bit too quickly??
    Lee beat Shawn lots of times before Shawn finally beat him.
    I was always a bit unimpressed with Lee at the time, but even at a low bodyweight he still looked great in comparisons against the bigger guys.
    He probably had the best proportions of all the guys, but yes, he did lack roundness and thickness.

Padilla is the most overlooked and underrated guy in history imo.

The original giant killer
    (1975 mr USA, albeit he didn't win this contest it was considered a rookie breakout for him and he stole show)

dense

balanced

tight waist

longevity (here he is at 42! swole as all hell in a relaxed pose)

same show making yates look skinny

Correction - he won the 75 overall ifbb mr USA, his first ifbb show at 23. (Even better)

***should also note that Padilla was originally a bigger role in Pumping Iron but got scenes cut and shafted bc the IFBB banned him from competing in the the Mr. Universe (twice! first w the US and then for Portugal). The reason was straight up politics as they wanted to give Katz a shot and have two heavyweights (katz and waller) and didn't want a non-US athlete to win. If not for this, who knows how much his popularity and legacy would have grown.
    Last edited by bsilva; August 6th, 2016 at 09:02 AM.

Little Guy

Pity Shawns memory is so selective. Nice of him to miss Chris Dickerson, Franco and Zane. All sub 200lb Olympia winners.... And didnt Zane beat Arnold once!!!! And to dismiss Benaziza who BEAT Dorian (isn't it about who they beat you say? )

Spotter

I really think shawn ray is the best 212... not sure about Samir

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jinanabolic View Post
    I really think shawn ray is the best 212... not sure about Samir
    To me Shawn is one of the best bodybuilders period! Shawn competed in a great era and did for a long period of time in the form of 13 Olympias and top 5 12 times! For me Bodybuilding is about the best physique and not just the biggest! Great feature by MD!

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    An entire video of Shawn blowing his out horn, who would have thought. Shawn had zero calves, a long neck which made his back shots look sub par. Zero peak on his biceps . . . Great delts, pecs, and midsection do not make a Mr. Olympia. And what about Mohamed Benaziza? 81 Padilla ( not Padeea ) wipes his ass wilh most ( not to mention his NOC in the 90's.)

Boo
    Yup and pictures don't tell the entire story! Lol
    I love my haters and I have a really big Horn!!

Strength & Honor!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast