Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: All About mTORC - How It Triggers Optimum Muscle Growth

Default All About mTORC - How It Triggers Optimum Muscle Growth

This is quite an unfortunate case of plagiarism.

----------------
    From the Article: http://musculardevelopment.com/artic...#.V6d6po-cGmR/

"Therefore, ingesting leucine in amounts greater than that found in 20-25 grams of whey protein (naturally containing 2.5 to 3 grams of leucine) is unlikely to further stimulate an increase in the magnitude or duration of MPS. However, it should be stated that these results are derived from young, healthy men weighing approximately 187 pounds (85 kg), meaning the maximally effective dose of whey protein may be quite different, for example, in a 110 pound female athlete or a 240 pound male bodybuilder. "

ORIGINAL SOURCE:
    From
    1.Churchward-Venne TA, Burd NA, Phillips SM, and Research Group EM. Nutritional regulation of muscle protein synthesis with resistance exercise: strategies to enhance anabolism. Nutr Metab (Lond) 9: 40, 2012. http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/40
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3464665/

"Thus, ingestion of leucine in amounts greater than that found in a saturating dose (20–25 g whey protein containing 2.5-3.0 g leucine) of high quality protein, is unlikely to further stimulate an increase in the magnitude or duration of MPS. However, these data are taken from young healthy men weighing ~86 kg and the maximally effective dose of protein may be quite different in, for example, a ~50 kg female gymnast or a 120 kg bodybuilder."

--------------------

From the ARTICLE: "
    Leucine's role in muscle protein synthesis is both that of a substrate as well as that of a signal/switch or anabolic trigger. No naturally-occurring protein source contains only leucine and no other amino acids; therefore, our body interprets leucine's availability as a sign that there are plenty of other amino acids (BCAAs and EAAs, in particular) available and shifts muscular protein metabolism towards synthesis."

ORIGINAL SOURCE:
    From Suppversity (
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/08/magic-of-additional-leucine-some.html) : "Always keep in mind: Leucine's role in muscle protein turnover is both that of a substrate, as well as that of a signal / switch. Since leucine is not found in isolation in any naturally occurring protein source, your body interprets its availability as a sign that there are plenty of other amino acids (BCAAs and EAAs, in particular) available and shifts muscular protein metabolism towards synthesis."

------------

I think I'll just stop there, but would guess I might find a few more instances.

How did I know to suspect plagiarism?... Writing style and utter failure to cite sources (which is considered an academic integrity violation in an of itself.) (Plus, experience with grading a few papers over the years.)

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stevenson View Post
    This is quite an unfortunate case of plagiarism.

----------------
    From the Article: http://musculardevelopment.com/artic...#.V6d6po-cGmR/

"Therefore, ingesting leucine in amounts greater than that found in 20-25 grams of whey protein (naturally containing 2.5 to 3 grams of leucine) is unlikely to further stimulate an increase in the magnitude or duration of MPS. However, it should be stated that these results are derived from young, healthy men weighing approximately 187 pounds (85 kg), meaning the maximally effective dose of whey protein may be quite different, for example, in a 110 pound female athlete or a 240 pound male bodybuilder. "

ORIGINAL SOURCE:
    From
    1.Churchward-Venne TA, Burd NA, Phillips SM, and Research Group EM. Nutritional regulation of muscle protein synthesis with resistance exercise: strategies to enhance anabolism. Nutr Metab (Lond) 9: 40, 2012. http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/40
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3464665/

"Thus, ingestion of leucine in amounts greater than that found in a saturating dose (20–25 g whey protein containing 2.5-3.0 g leucine) of high quality protein, is unlikely to further stimulate an increase in the magnitude or duration of MPS. However, these data are taken from young healthy men weighing ~86 kg and the maximally effective dose of protein may be quite different in, for example, a ~50 kg female gymnast or a 120 kg bodybuilder."

--------------------

From the ARTICLE: "
    Leucine's role in muscle protein synthesis is both that of a substrate as well as that of a signal/switch or anabolic trigger. No naturally-occurring protein source contains only leucine and no other amino acids; therefore, our body interprets leucine's availability as a sign that there are plenty of other amino acids (BCAAs and EAAs, in particular) available and shifts muscular protein metabolism towards synthesis."

ORIGINAL SOURCE:
    From Suppversity (
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/08/magic-of-additional-leucine-some.html) : "Always keep in mind: Leucine's role in muscle protein turnover is both that of a substrate, as well as that of a signal / switch. Since leucine is not found in isolation in any naturally occurring protein source, your body interprets its availability as a sign that there are plenty of other amino acids (BCAAs and EAAs, in particular) available and shifts muscular protein metabolism towards synthesis."

------------

I think I'll just stop there, but would guess I might find a few more instances.

How did I know to suspect plagiarism?... Writing style and utter failure to cite sources (which is considered an academic integrity violation in an of itself.) (Plus, experience with grading a few papers over the years.)

-Scott

You're a legend Scott, always love your info you put out, one day I'd love to discuss theories and such. One question who do you think is the best kept "secret" in the Hypertrophy world.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmeyourboy View Post
    You're a legend Scott, always love your info you put out, one day I'd love to discuss theories and such. One question who do you think is the best kept "secret" in the Hypertrophy world.
    LOL - Thanks, man.

Well, it wouldn't be a very well kept secret if i told you, now would it?...

Seriously, what do you mean by "secret?" That could be a few things.

(FYI, I've just started co-hosting an online podcast, but not sure if I can mention it here. That's not the same as sitting down and shooting the bull in person, but that's kind of what we're doing... Taylor Normandeau and Jordan Peters are the other two co-hosts... )

-S

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stevenson View Post
    LOL - Thanks, man.

Well, it wouldn't be a very well kept secret if i told you, now would it?...

Seriously, what do you mean by "secret?" That could be a few things.

(FYI, I've just started co-hosting an online podcast, but not sure if I can mention it here. That's not the same as sitting down and shooting the bull in person, but that's kind of what we're doing... Taylor Normandeau and Jordan Peters are the other two co-hosts... )

-S
    Hahaha well played.
    I heard about the podcast news on Jordan Peters IG, im very excited as I just got done listening to the Shelby podcast this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmeyourboy View Post
    Hahaha well played.
    I heard about the podcast news on Jordan Peters IG, im very excited as I just got done listening to the Shelby podcast this morning.
    (I was serious about what you mean by secret... Something hidden / covered up?... Something not well known?... A forgotten supplement?...)

Yep, that's the one! Recorded yesterday, so it should be out pretty soon.

-S