Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Mr. Olympia of All Time? - Shawn Ray Unleashed EP.3

Default Greatest Mr. Olympia of All Time? - Shawn Ray Unleashed EP.3

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Interesting answer Shawn. I like big Ron based soley on who he beat and how he looked when he won in 98! Still the best show I ever attended

Mr Olympia Roll Call:

Strength & Honor!
    Last edited by Shawn Ray; August 26th, 2016 at 02:06 PM.

Strength & Honor!

Numero Uno

Strength & Honor!
    Last edited by Shawn Ray; August 26th, 2016 at 02:07 PM.

Arnold is the safe pick, but what about if based solely on purely bodybuilding?...Can't find it but I feel like I recall Shawn once saying that Lee Haney was the least controversial Mr. Olympia in terms of each of his 8 titles.

For me it's Ronnie, just too massive and too conditioned. He excelled in areas were every other guy struggles (Back, Glutes, Hams). Also impressive is that he evolved multiple times to stay king.

Quote Originally Posted by bsilva View Post
    Lee Haney was the least controversial Mr. Olympia in terms of each of his 8 titles.
    True, but his competence was weaker than Dorian and Ronnie era.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

It's tough comparing "Generations" however, when we focus on using the Tools available at the times these guys were competing it's my belief that Arnold above all Maximized what was available with no "Comparative" frame of Reference. Meaning, although he thought highly of Reg Park, Reg was never in Arnold's league.
    What Arnold did when he was doing it with what he had available to work with is unheard of??'!!!!!

I guess I feel like Arnold was the shit because all he had really was a "Work Ethic" and a great Training Partner while everyone after him had Science, Drugs, Gurus, History Books, Videos, High Tech Machines, Etc...

Everyone used Arnold as a Measuring Stick to what was attainable and all Arnold had was the mirror.

Without Flex Wheeler schooling Ronnie on the Chemical Warfare does Ronnie ever meet "The Chad" and blow the fuck up??
    Remember, prior to this chance encounter with Flex, Ronnie was just a good Bodybuilder with a lot of potential.

Arnold "Retired"with 7 Olympia's at 28 yrs old injury free.

Strength & Honor!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ray View Post
    It's tough comparing "Generations" however, when we focus on using the Tools available at the times these guys were competing it's my belief that Arnold above all Maximized what was available with no "Comparative" frame of Reference. Meaning, although he thought highly of Reg Park, Reg was never in Arnold's league.
    What Arnold did when he was doing it with what he had available to work with is unheard of??'!!!!!

I guess I feel like Arnold was the shit because all he had really was a "Work Ethic" and a great Training Partner while everyone after him had Science, Drugs, Gurus, History Books, Videos, High Tech Machines, Etc...

Everyone used Arnold as a Measuring Stick to what was attainable and all Arnold had was the mirror.

Without Flex Wheeler schooling Ronnie on the Chemical Warfare does Ronnie ever meet "The Chad" and blow the fuck up??
    Remember, prior to this chance encounter with Flex, Ronnie was just a good Bodybuilder with a lot of potential.

Arnold "Retired"with 7 Olympia's at 28 yrs old injury free.

Strength & Honor!
    No argument there.

Would like to add that if the word out there is true and that ronnie turned pro in the era he did and did so natty then that is insanely impressive and i think purely from a physical achievements metric Ronnie is a beastly alien that we had never and may never see again. All that science only allowed him to play on a level field.

Spotter

man look how healthy arnold looked as mr o. that skin tho! i miss those days, much respect to the new classic division, they carry the tortch

Absolutely agree with Shawn on that one. Arnold was way ahead of his time. Youngest Mr.Olympia ever at just 23,retired after six wins at only 28 absolutely healthy,after breaking his own record several times,came back after 5 years with only 8 weeks of prep.to win a 7 title and still only 33 years young. Could have won more than 10 titles easily if he wanted. Still holds the record for longest span between first and last win-10 years. Winning 7 titles in 10 years is more difficult than winning 8 consecutive BTW.
    In fact Shawn's physique always reminded me of a modern day,shorter version of Arnold (muscle bellies,flow,charisma,etc.). That's how I imagine Arnold would have looked if he competed today with quads,hamstings and glutes brought to modern standards.

Arnold is numero uno. I think you also have to take in consideration the caliber of competitors Mr.Olympia had to beat. Dorian Yates went up against some of the best BB of all time. There was no shortage of excellent BB and HoF BB in his era. I would have him and Ronnie in the top 3 all time.

Spotter

I love Arnold and he's my favourite BB but really how can you pick him as the greatest ever ? Arnold competed against 3 or 4 guys for the title on a few occasions and I believe once he was the only guy in the show .
    He is awesome and it's not his fault some guys were afraid to compete against him but his first win against Sergio was very controversial as was his last Mr O win .
    Haney was always the clear cut winner of his 8 titles and the lineups were deep ....Gaspari...Demey ...Labrada ...Christian..Strydom and so on .
    IMO Haney is the best ever !!!!! wide shoulders and small waist with a huge back ..great chest really good triceps ...he had some weak points like his biceps and a funky looking gap in his abs... but about as big as someone can get but still have nice symmetry and on top of it all he seems like a very classy guy .
    I hated Haney back in the day because I always cheered for the underdogs like Gaspari and Labrada but now looking back I prolly hated him because he was so dominant .

Banned

Arnold is without the shadow of a doubt, the best bodybuilding persona that ever lived.

Competitively, Haney is the most impressive one. What is even more incredible is that the man is a true role model. He also retired young and undefeated right before the Drug Abuse reached an insane level. The man is smart and health conscious. Much respect.

Behemoth

I'm so glad you pointed out Arnold really did deserve the 1980 Mr. Olympia. I have the DVD about that show and when I finally saw it...I couldn't believe it was so controversial. Yes, Arnold was down. But he blew those other guys out of the water still.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostaff View Post
    I love Arnold and he's my favourite BB but really how can you pick him as the greatest ever ? Arnold competed against 3 or 4 guys for the title on a few occasions and I believe once he was the only guy in the show .
    He is awesome and it's not his fault some guys were afraid to compete against him but his first win against Sergio was very controversial as was his last Mr O win .
    Haney was always the clear cut winner of his 8 titles and the lineups were deep ....Gaspari...Demey ...Labrada ...Christian..Strydom and so on .
    IMO Haney is the best ever !!!!! wide shoulders and small waist with a huge back ..great chest really good triceps ...he had some weak points like his biceps and a funky looking gap in his abs... but about as big as someone can get but still have nice symmetry and on top of it all he seems like a very classy guy .
    I hated Haney back in the day because I always cheered for the underdogs like Gaspari and Labrada but now looking back I prolly hated him because he was so dominant .
    Agree!!

Although Haney competition was not strong as Yates, at least, he had some good guys beside him. Arnold? Only Oliva, and he quickly left the IFBB by corruption.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Quote Originally Posted by Bostaff View Post
    The ONLY reason Arnold competed against 3-4 guys was because that was the original format of the Mr. Olympia-it was a contest open only for truly the best BB's in the world,the cream if you will. The lesser contests like Mr.America,Mr. World etc. had the bulk of competitors. E.G.: In 1974 Lou Ferrigno beat over 50 competitors to win the IFBB Mr. Universe title,then went up against Arnold at the Olympia and Arnold wiped the floor with him there.That's how much better Arnold was over the rest. Ironically Arnold beat less competitors at the Olympia when he was at his best and more when he was at his worst. At the end of the 70-s they started changing the format of the contest and inviting more people and in 1980 he beat 15 other competitors most of them legends in the sport.
    1970 when Arnold beat Sergio wasn't controversial at all-Sergio was soft as a pancake there.The controversial one is 1972 when Sergio was at his best.Every other multiply Mr. Olympia has some controversial wins as well.Comparatively Haney's 1989 and 1990 were controversial as well and in 1991 he lost the muscularity round to Dorian who was making his Olympia debut. That was the first time Haney won against someone his size and he retired immediately after. All his previous runner up competitors were small guys under 200 lbs. We all love Haney,he is a great gentleman and excellent ambassador for the sport but he was the 2nd.greatest(at best) of all times.
    Also Arnold was less beaten than Haney and dominated the other federations-NABBA and AAU as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast