Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Greatest Olympia Rivalry That Never Was - by Peter McGough

Default The Greatest Olympia Rivalry That Never Was - by Peter McGough

Hey Peter, how about the "front relaxed-just standing there" pose? I wasn't there at that show, matter of fact I was probably as far as you could of been away from it, being in the 1st Gulf War, in Kuwait/Iraq. But I seen the video and I seen the pics in Flex, and I remember Haney edging him in this pose, (if you want to call it a pose). Also from the rear, same relaxed pose?? I think it was Haney's chest that won this shot from the front. Also from the rear I think Haney had more mass as it was clear Dorian had a drier, tighter looking back, and his Christmas tree was way more apparent. Their thighs were very close, where Haney had deeper and better cuts in his front thighs, and Dorian had thicker thighs, and WAY better calves, the best on any Mr. Olympia, by far!!! Their abs were pretty good considering they were mass guys, and their arms both kinda were sub-par, being dwarfed by their giant torsos. Matter of fact the only guy after (or before) who had a thicker torso was Ronnie, except Ronnie had enormous, freaky ass arms!!! Dorian would have got Haney in '92, I agree, unless Haney did something that wasn't his style, in my opinion, and thats get serious with the preparations(wink, wink!). But Dorian in '93 was incredible, and would of blown the '91 Haney off the stage!! Matter of fact the only guy in the history of bodybuilding that could stood next to a '93 Yates was Ronnie Coleman. Yates had Coleman in two areas, calves (by far), and lower back (christmas tree). It would of been epic tho to see a '03 Coleman vs a '93 Yates!!!! Awesome!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by king kong kurbis View Post
    Hey Peter, how about the "front relaxed-just standing there" pose? I wasn't there at that show, matter of fact I was probably as far as you could of been away from it, being in the 1st Gulf War, in Kuwait/Iraq. But I seen the video and I seen the pics in Flex, and I remember Haney edging him in this pose, (if you want to call it a pose). Also from the rear, same relaxed pose?? I think it was Haney's chest that won this shot from the front. Also from the rear I think Haney had more mass as it was clear Dorian had a drier, tighter looking back, and his Christmas tree was way more apparent. Their thighs were very close, where Haney had deeper and better cuts in his front thighs, and Dorian had thicker thighs, and WAY better calves, the best on any Mr. Olympia, by far!!! Their abs were pretty good considering they were mass guys, and their arms both kinda were sub-par, being dwarfed by their giant torsos. Matter of fact the only guy after (or before) who had a thicker torso was Ronnie, except Ronnie had enormous, freaky ass arms!!! Dorian would have got Haney in '92, I agree, unless Haney did something that wasn't his style, in my opinion, and thats get serious with the preparations(wink, wink!). But Dorian in '93 was incredible, and would of blown the '91 Haney off the stage!! Matter of fact the only guy in the history of bodybuilding that could stood next to a '93 Yates was Ronnie Coleman. Yates had Coleman in two areas, calves (by far), and lower back (christmas tree). It would of been epic tho to see a '03 Coleman vs a '93 Yates!!!! Awesome!!!!
    I agree with most of this, understandably it's tough to get an unbiased assessment from McG about this every time he writes on 91. He is too tight with yates. Seems pretty clear to most that haney had a way better chest, better shape, much better waist, deeper separation and more roundness. yates was a bit fuller in the quads at the expense of condition that year but later in his career this did become is main advantage.he doesnt win any of the shots as Peter writes imo.

Spotter

Haney clearly won in 91 and Yates was the obvious choice for 2nd .
    I think people forget how dominant Haney was in his day and although Yates came in 2nd it wasn't even close IMO .....I believe if Haney had competed in 92 he still would have defeated Yates but by 93 Yates became the first true mass monster and changed BB and the way bodybuilder are judged and I thing he would beat Haney with his look in 93.

Spotter

Quote Originally Posted by Bostaff View Post
    I think people forget how dominant Haney was in his day and although Yates came in 2nd it wasn't even close IMO .....I believe if Haney had competed in 92 he still would have defeated Yates but by 93 Yates became the first true mass monster and changed BB and the way bodybuilder are judged and I thing he would beat Haney with his look in 93.

You don't think that if Haney had kept competing, he could have made improvements on his body? He was still young when he retired...

Spotter

Haney was old school .....wide shoulders and small waist !
    I really don't think he would want to look like the new generation and IMO Yates was the first of the true mass monsters .

This^^

If I could put on some time travelling underpants I'd go back to Orlando in 1991 and see THIS awesome Olympia.

If not for Haney vs Yates then for -

- Labrada's awesome posing routine
    - Vince Taylor's Terminator posing routine
    - And Bob Paris' routine...
    MD Muscle News Weekly Ep. 29- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfFHUMbUHI8

Haney was old school .....wide shoulders and small waist !
    I really don't think he would want to look like the new generation and IMO Yates was the first of the true mass monsters .
    Exactly! I disagree with Peter that Yates had a better back lat spread. Yates was wide and thick but Lee had the smaller waist and more shock and awe when he flared his lats.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    If I could put on some time travelling underpants I'd go back to Orlando in 1991 and see THIS awesome Olympia.

Bingo!
    Every one of those things you mentioned were epic and not merely nostalgic memories.
    I think the current pros have the physique potential to make current bodybuilding as memorable.
    Sadly, something is lacking ....any ideas?

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post

My first Pro show was the 92 NOC and man was Kevin impressive! Talk about a polished physique!

Haney's physique was just better. He had a smaller waist and hips, rounder and better shape to his muscles. Dorian got bigger later on but not necessarily better
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    Haney's physique was just better. He had a smaller waist and hips, rounder and better shape to his muscles. Dorian got bigger later on but not necessarily better
    I think that's why a lot of rank and file musclehedz worshiped Yates so much.
    One look at Haney and you know he's a total genetic freak.

Yates had the great genetics, but his thickness and grainy conditioning were made possible via training, diet and ( especially) drugs.
    I've noticed that the " it's all drugs " crowd value freaky size and conditioning over shape and lines.