Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Bodybuilding Great Again - The Experts Weigh In

Default Making Bodybuilding Great Again - The Experts Weigh In

It's funny how everyone and their mother hates on Trump, but pretty much everywhere you look lately you see companies using his slogan to get eyes on their product and make a profit lol

Look how great our sport is today, new and exciting and keeping up with demands...cites the return of Levrone as an example.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigwill22 View Post
    It's funny how everyone and their mother hates on Trump, but pretty much everywhere you look lately you see companies using his slogan to get eyes on their product and make a profit lol
    my slogan is make md great again, but they aint listening, right babe?

so the pros basically miss the cameradery, v tapers, epic posing routines and think the Internet kind of ruined it. i think ist possible to make the posing routines better but i dont know about the other things.

Daym..Jose Raymond don't hold back next time

A good read...a lot of things to think about and I agree with Flex Wheeler. Time to move on.
    "I'd rather be dead than average" - Mike Maddog Bell

I think the main things hurting the image of bodybuilding today:

1. Only 20-25% of contest entries are bodybuilders. The vast majority are bikini or mpd which are fitness models.
    Thanks to social media and posting selfies, everyone wants attention by being "seen" on stage.
    The promoters encourage this by having 83 different divisions to accommodate nearly every body type.

2. The media fueled steroid witch promoted a level of misinformation and hysteria similar to the vintage propaganda movie , "Reefer Madness".
    Now the avg idiot thinks muscles = steroids . Training and diet don't really matter if you're on the juice .
    As bad as the media was on this, plenty of within hardcore bodybuilding jumped on the "it's all drugs" bandwagon.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Now, the guys are scared to compete more than a couple of times a year, and they are also afraid to compete if there’s another guy doing the show they feel they can’t beat.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool90 View Post
    my slogan is make md great again, but they aint listening, right babe?

so the pros basically miss the cameradery, v tapers, epic posing routines and think the Internet kind of ruined it. i think ist possible to make the posing routines better but i dont know about the other things.

LOL!

I predict THIS will be the new catch phrase around here. SRS.

Shawn clearly as we all know knows his craft and has several T shits on the matter but to say What I miss about the old days of this sport is the depth of competition.????? Shawn himself has said on the olympia after show video that this has to be one of the best in not the best most stacked Mr O comps in the last 10 maybe 15 years.So its a bit rich to say there is no depth to the sport at this moment in time.And you just have to see the shows after the big party and the way people have changed places to see the sport have never looked better and all with fantastic showings from one and all.My final point is this in the Olympia buildup show all the MD crew were saying after the top 3 or 4 no one could of picked were every on would fill out the places after that in the top 10 it turned out that should of been the top `15 because like i say for many years now the show has been a few hit wonders well this year most were on fire.Hats off to the guys thank you for all putting on a amazing amazing show you all sould of taken home $50000 at least.And please IFBB stop the crap with only paying out a few $$$$s to the 212 class you can not tell me that just as many people to pay to go to the hole weekend as they do and do not take away the same shock and awe at seeing 212 show.

Def couldve used a better pic of Ron.

All these statements were made about 6 months before the O - I think this year's edition did show a much greater depth to the lineup than we have seen in a while.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    Def couldve used a better pic of Ron.
    I know, right?
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I know, right?
    Personally my man I think you have a great overall physique. We all have some poses we dont look the best in, but for all the ones you do have MD def couldve picked a better one lol.

Ironic how Jose and Peter come from different directions but end up pointing the figure at the rise of social media.
    Like Peter, I prefer print mags with quality writing and pictures to the instagram blur pics and juvenile tweets.

Jose is right, the pros had more respect and mystique in past eras.
    Again , I blame that on the crass nature of social media NOT bodybuilding.

Selfies of Jenny Jugs showing her new nose ring while doing a bicep pose doesn't equal a pro contest pic.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Without a doubt social media has been the single biggest downfall for bodybuilding... Im sure the case could be made its damaged a lot more than bodybuilding. My generation, the younger generations, are 100 percent a "me" generation. They don't care about their neighbours, their coworkers, their friends, let alone the rest of the people on the planet. It's 100 percent all about me. Chasing that "paper" (AJ?) Making money, having fancy sh*t, at all costs. And in that seeking of attention needless to say Instagram has fueled a broader array of people wanting to get fit, get big, etc and all for the attention..thus all for the wrong reasons.

Another reason, in my opinion, bodybuilding will never live up to that Arnold era in peoples minds (I'm talking about the masses here) is that like it or hate it... To the general public height matters. And the overall height you see in top bodybuilders today is short... When it was "great" to most was in the Arnold days... Again im talking general public. You had Arnold. And Lou. And guys that looked overall masculine. Large individuals. With that height came a more classic look generally speaking. I mean a 34 inch waist on a guy whose 5'6 looks totally different than that on a guy whose 6' 3.. anyways, it's not a knock on short guys, but this idea of guys 5'5-5'9 and 250-300lbs... It isn't a look that makes bodybuilding popular to many with the exception of guys with the proverbial "little man syndrome"

Quote Originally Posted by pauleccles View Post
    Without a doubt social media has been the single biggest downfall for bodybuilding... Im sure the case could be made its damaged a lot more than bodybuilding. My generation, the younger generations, are 100 percent a "me" generation. They don't care about their neighbours, their coworkers, their friends, let alone the rest of the people on the planet. It's 100 percent all about me. Chasing that "paper" (AJ?) Making money, having fancy sh*t, at all costs. And in that seeking of attention needless to say Instagram has fueled a broader array of people wanting to get fit, get big, etc and all for the attention..thus all for the wrong reasons.

Another reason, in my opinion, bodybuilding will never live up to that Arnold era in peoples minds (I'm talking about the masses here) is that like it or hate it... To the general public height matters. And the overall height you see in top bodybuilders today is short... When it was "great" to most was in the Arnold days... Again im talking general public. You had Arnold. And Lou. And guys that looked overall masculine. Large individuals. With that height came a more classic look generally speaking. I mean a 34 inch waist on a guy whose 5'6 looks totally different than that on a guy whose 6' 3.. anyways, it's not a knock on short guys, but this idea of guys 5'5-5'9 and 250-300lbs... It isn't a look that makes bodybuilding popular to many with the exception of guys with the proverbial "little man syndrome"
    Dead on.

Little Guy

Default What really bugs me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Dead on.
    Is men's Bodybuilding going the way of women's bodybuilding - that is, is it dying??
    Probably not that far gone, but the appeal is definitely diminishing.
    Most people just don't want the extreme look that today's champs possess. I can definitely see a shift to Physique and Classic Physique.
    Have you noticed that most supplement companies are using photos of Physique type bodies and not bodybuilding??
    What really bugs me is that magazines have been photo-shopping their photos in feature articles for years.
    There is something seriously wrong with the direction the sport has taken when they have to photo-shop pictures of our Mr Olympia champs.
    I've seen feature articles in MD where Jay, and Ronnie have been heavily photoshopped, likewise Phil Heath in Flex magazine.
    If they have to alter these guys to make them more aesthetic, (usually by trimming their waists and capping their shoulders) doesn't that tell us something about the sports direction?
    I'd love to see MD take a stand on this, and no longer photo-shop their articles and covers.
    They should print on all their future covers "No Photoshopping in this magazine"
    The public has been fed unrealistic images for too long.
    If today's champs don't look good enough unedited, then the judging criteria has to change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast