Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 22

Thread: Shelby Starnes' 10 Notes On Dieting.

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    41,358

    Default Shelby Starnes' 10 Notes On Dieting.

    From his FB page. Definitely some great insight here!

    10 notes on dieting

    1. It's normal to look worse in the beginning stages, before you begin to look better.

    2. The initial drop isn't fat loss. It's mainly water and stomach volume.

    3. Activity is important but diet control is even more important. You can bust ass in the gym for 2 hours then go erase it all with a fancy coffee and pastry.

    4. Getting greedy will always backfire.

    5. Only compare yourself to others if it's constructive. It usually isn't.

    6. The sustainable route is almost always the best route.

    7. You'll probably get some resistance from normal folks. Fuck 'em.

    8. Extreme results require extreme measures. Dieting to an ultra low body fat is much more than just "avoiding cravings" - it takes serious pain tolerance and mental fortitude.

    9. If you lose a substantial amount of lean body mass in the process, you were not successful.

    10. With that said though, you're only as lean as your fattest body part.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2

    Default

    1. It's normal to look worse in the beginning stages, before you begin to look better.


    Thats for sure lol
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

  3. #3
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,527
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  4. #4
    Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    17,591

    Default

    Pretty solid 10 statements.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

  5. #5

    Default

    That's my coach!

  6. #6
    Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Holiday, Florida
    Posts
    66,236

    Default

    #8
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    #8
    I like number 8 also, and I wonder if last time i competed i really took myself to a point of number 8. I wanted to, i was ready for it, but im not sure I 100 percent did it. The only reason I am second guessing myself is I didnt achieve the look I wanted which was just to be skinless. I was also told by someone that because i dont use any gear that shape might not be attainable, but i dont believe that.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

  8. #8
    Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Holiday, Florida
    Posts
    66,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    I like number 8 also, and I wonder if last time i competed i really took myself to a point of number 8. I wanted to, i was ready for it, but im not sure I 100 percent did it. The only reason I am second guessing myself is I didnt achieve the look I wanted which was just to be skinless. I was also told by someone that because i dont use any gear that shape might not be attainable, but i dont believe that.
    Sometimes I thought I was in that place, but from my condition I wasn't. I like to visualize getting that Munzer type of condition where you don't look human. I do think that staying leaner all year will help too.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Sometimes I thought I was in that place, but from my condition I wasn't. I like to visualize getting that Munzer type of condition where you don't look human. I do think that staying leaner all year will help too.
    Thats what I want man! lol. I want to just be fucking peeled. Even though I only competed in April I def stayed within 15-20lbs of what my contest weight was. I started dieting on monday to be ready for next march and april. Im not doing anything crazy right now just 240 grams of protein and 200g of carbs no direct fat, I weighed 185 On Monday morning. Slowly the protein will come up a bit and the carbs will go down but for the next 4-6 weeks I am going to do this and see what happens. I think I have an idea of what needs to be done this time around so I guess only time will tell.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    I like number 8 also, and I wonder if last time i competed i really took myself to a point of number 8. I wanted to, i was ready for it, but im not sure I 100 percent did it. The only reason I am second guessing myself is I didnt achieve the look I wanted which was just to be skinless. I was also told by someone that because i dont use any gear that shape might not be attainable, but i dont believe that.

    for years i couldnt get my glutes shredded. then i realized i just wasnt pushing hard enough, even though id thought i was. I thought it was not possible for me without gear due to my genetics. that was bs. i pushed harder and i started to see those lines. bottom line: you will get skinless if you really want to

  11. #11
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,527
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    I like number 8 also, and I wonder if last time i competed i really took myself to a point of number 8. I wanted to, i was ready for it, but im not sure I 100 percent did it. The only reason I am second guessing myself is I didnt achieve the look I wanted which was just to be skinless. I was also told by someone that because i dont use any gear that shape might not be attainable, but i dont believe that.
    There are always some strategy to remove more body fat, but you can only learn with each process in practice.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tryder View Post
    for years i couldnt get my glutes shredded. then i realized i just wasnt pushing hard enough, even though id thought i was. I thought it was not possible for me without gear due to my genetics. that was bs. i pushed harder and i started to see those lines. bottom line: you will get skinless if you really want to
    I hear that and Im not exaggerating when I say I took no shortcut, and I hired a prep coach BUT only for the last 4 weeks. He did a great job so this time I am going to work with him from 16 weeks out so we can get it right. Im not lazy and dieting and suffering doesnt bother me.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    There are always some strategy to remove more body fat, but you can only learn with each process in practice.
    I agree and this is what I am trying to do. It was only my first show and next year I will do 2-3 in a row because they are all very close together.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

  14. #14
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,527
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    I agree and this is what I am trying to do. It was only my first show and next year I will do 2-3 in a row because they are all very close together.
    The best advice I would give to a novice, is that after 2-3 years training/diet, go to contest condicion, again and again. Is where the learning is, when suffering is big and you should find the best strategy.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    I hear that and Im not exaggerating when I say I took no shortcut, and I hired a prep coach BUT only for the last 4 weeks. He did a great job so this time I am going to work with him from 16 weeks out so we can get it right. Im not lazy and dieting and suffering doesnt bother me.

    wish you all the best bro

  16. #16
    Barbarian LiquidR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    LaLa
    Posts
    850
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I always hit #2 and feel like I've don'e something amazing....

    2. The initial drop isn't fat loss. It's mainly water and stomach volume.

    I need to impliment #7 for sure in my life, it always does me in everytime someone want to eat out for lunch or dinner...literally it's damn near every day!

    7. You'll probably get some resistance from normal folks. Fuck 'em.

  17. #17

    Default

    His Facebook is a wealth of wisdom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •