Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Partial Vs. Full Range of Motion Reps - Which is Best for Building Muscle?

Default Partial Vs. Full Range of Motion Reps - Which is Best for Building Muscle?

Didn't read, but I'll guess it boils down to the fact that BOTH have their place on the hypertrophy boat.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    Didn't read, but I'll guess it boils down to the fact that BOTH have their place on the hypertrophy boat.
    True, but it says full ROM gives you greater gains.

If I had to choose one over the other I'd 100% go for full reps. That being said, structured planned partials exercises or methods do have a place.

I'm sure there's many reasons based on science, but one of the reasons should also be that the majority of people who do partial anything reps are doing it solely for the ego and being able to say they did 'xxxxx exercise for 8 reps', when in fact they couldn't come near it if they did full reps.
    D E S T R O Y

Full reps but as Larry scott called them "burns" or partial reps at the end of a set are good. Calfes,abs..Delts on laterals..cable work. Chest and Back with heavy rows..etc not so much better full reps.

there is a difference between FULL range of motion and EFFECTIVE range of motion.

EFFECTIVE is what you are looking for.

sometimes EFFECTIVE is FULL, sometimes EFFECTIVE is PARTIAL.

not that hard.

and please do not delete my post again. no disrespect intended.

Boom. I like pulse reps and full ROM reps. Especially on leg day. I feel my hams like CRAZY when I dont go all the way down on lying leg curls and seated leg curls but squeeze hard coming up.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    Boom. I like pulse reps and full ROM reps. Especially on leg day. I feel my hams like CRAZY when I dont go all the way down on lying leg curls and seated leg curls but squeeze hard coming up.
    I take it you do full range on stiff deads/romanian deads.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    I take it you do full range on stiff deads/romanian deads.
    Yes def. Partials kill my back lol
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

I am asking because you know there are 3 positions(phases) but some exercises embrace all 3.. now midrange:stiff legged deadlift..(middle to top range) ...Stretch..the bottom of the stiff deadlift..."contracted" the top of a leg curl...

People always say they do partial to keep tension on the muscle. Those same people can't do the same weight, reps, and sets with a full range. Full range is clearly more difficult and taxing. That isn't even debatable.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    People always say they do partial to keep tension on the muscle. Those same people can't do the same weight, reps, and sets with a full range. Full range is clearly more difficult and taxing. That isn't even debatable.
    For someone like me with shoulder issues, performing a benchpress using 80% ROM (no lock-out and stopping 3" above chest) under continuous tension not only saves my shoulders, but gets the pecs beaten rapidly and effectively.

For someone like me with shoulder issues, performing a benchpress using 80% ROM (no lock-out and stopping 3" above chest) under continuous tension not only saves my shoulders, but gets the pecs beaten rapidly and effectively.
    That is a good reason to use partials. But, you have to agree full range would be better if it were possible for you.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Banned

Remember those ridiculous videos of Jason Huh terrible form on many exercice. That shit was epic.

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    That is a good reason to use partials. But, you have to agree full range would be better if it were possible for you.
    Not if I want to hit the pecs more directly.

This "disadvantage" has shown me that shoulders and triceps use during the press are limited in that ROM. I feel my pecs more (mind/muscle connection).

Granted, I can't use heavy weights like I used to, but strength for its own sake is not my goal.

Banned

Heavy weights and proper form is relative to the individual.