Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does "going for it" become " going off the cliff" ?

Default When does "going for it" become " going off the cliff" ?

This past weekend I saw a tragic show about the death of 3 people during a sweat lodge session.
    The sweat lodge was the final task at some new age, enlightenment retreat in Az.
    The self help guru was found guilty of negligent homicide and served 2 yrs in prison.
    One of his defense points was , people die from similar things, while running marathons.

I thought this self help guru was an egotistical creep.
    But, I also thought his "marathon deaths" was a good point.
    It made me reflect on the self-imposed risks and sacrifices made by competitive bodybuilders.

In bodybuilding we train hard and diet like Spartans to obtain a more muscular physique.
    Sounds sensible enough, until you examine the extremes some endure, especially for competition.
    Drugs seem like the main risk, but many issues come into play

We all want results and nobody wants to lose.
    When does going for it evolve into going off the cliff?
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

You give these guys a little too much credit in the philosophical department. A vast majority (who I don't consider athletes) just want to be big, and do/take whatever is needed to get there. Very few are athletes who treat this like a sport, and consider progression as a slow, steady, and healthier race that takes years/decades to achieve.
    Being a champion in any field means pushing the boundaries of society

When you have issues like needing a kidney transplant or having signs of congestive heart failure and still cannot stay off gear. I have sadly seen that happen to plenty of men involved in this sport. Calling it quits with steroids for good and I mean FOR GOOD, is a hard hurdle to overcome for a lot of guys because it means taking the gorilla suit off and being somewhat normal.

, SAD, sad, tail
    MY KING OF KINGS

Quote Originally Posted by House. View Post
    You give these guys a little too much credit in the philosophical department. A vast majority (who I don't consider athletes) just want to be big, and do/take whatever is needed to get there. Very few are athletes who treat this like a sport, and consider progression as a slow, steady, and healthier race that takes years/decades to achieve.
    I thought about that before, BUT, several of the new age seekers in that sweat lodge weren't dumb meat-heads.
    They were (mostly) highly educated, professional people, paying $10,000 to seek "enlightenment".
    The 3 deaths with several heat exhaustion victims were " motivated" to keep going by the guru.

I think of all the lifestyle restrictions, risks taken and $$$ spent to compete in contests.
    Like the sweat lodge victims they pay and suffer for their "self-imposed" experience .
    We've all heard : The more you suffer, the better you'll look" .

I'm not lazy and admire anyone with a good work ethic.
    Something nags me about these self imposed, pushing for glory , experiences.
    I simply wonder when enough is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwill22 View Post
    When you have issues like needing a kidney transplant or having signs of congestive heart failure and still cannot stay off gear. I have sadly seen that happen to plenty of men involved in this sport. Calling it quits with steroids for good and I mean FOR GOOD, is a hard hurdle to overcome for a lot of guys because it means taking the gorilla suit off and being somewhat normal.
    Good points!

It seems that the most cherished aspect of their identity is the muscles?

Quote Originally Posted by SISTEROFJESUS View Post
    , SAD, sad, tail
    It is, but too often people make a "false idol" become their GOD.
    Could be fame, $$$, muscles or even some goofy new age "enlightenment".

Couple of years ago a chap, oh I can't remember what was his name climber Mount Everest without any oxygen . When he came down they asked him, why did you go up there to die? He said, "I didnt, I went up there to live."

Those who fly too close to the sun risk being burned as the wings of Icarus.

Smart folks make the decision to accept risk based reward. Less intelligent folks may not have the forethought but will still reap the same reward at the end.

Call it Darwinism, pride, or the desire to be more than you currently are. Some succeed and some fail. Most aren't remembered. So do for you and what makes you happy, but don't blame others if you don't get the results you expected.

In before Howie talks about steroids being illegal.
    I stop me....no one else does.

There's risk in many things we do, but people continue to do them for the love of it. Every day we get into our car/truck, we have risks. Every time we get on an airplane, we have risks. People know that smoking comes with risks, but millions continue to do so. Drag race drivers and NASCAR drivers face risks every time they step into their cars. I plan on skiing this year, as soon as we have enough snow on the ground....guess what....I'll have risk doing that.
    I stop me....no one else does.

Quote Originally Posted by House. View Post
    Boom!
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Quote Originally Posted by bigwill22 View Post
    Glaring example is Rich Piano. I suspect he will be doing GEAR until he takes his last breath regardless as to whether or not he is one day told to stop and that it is literally killing him. His whole identity and self worth revolves around his ego and head turning physique.
    "Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated."

When yer ded

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani View Post
    When yer ded
    HARDCORE!!!!!!!!

"Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    HARDCORE!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha...that is great

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
    There's risk in many things we do, but people continue to do them for the love of it. Every day we get into our car/truck, we have risks. Every time we get on an airplane, we have risks. People know that smoking comes with risks, but millions continue to do so. Drag race drivers and NASCAR drivers face risks every time they step into their cars. I plan on skiing this year, as soon as we have enough snow on the ground....guess what....I'll have risk doing that.
    Using a car or plane as a means of transportation is required for anyone to travel.
    For the purposes of this topic, I don't consider THAT to be an optional risk.

Driving to work, isn't an option for people with a normal job.
    Car racing, is a sport . Pro drivers combine job with sport and only applies to a very small group.

Ok Derek, I fully understand, that many fun activities like skiing involve a small risk of injury.
    BUT, even recreational skiing can evolve into a risky hobby.
    At 18, I hiked up and skied down Tuckerman Ravine on Mt Washington.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckerman_Ravine

It was a "rush" and I loved it.
    BUT, upon driving up the Mt Road, last summer, my wife told me I was nuts to do it.
    I quietly laughed at myself and agreed with her.

Of course, my next adventure would be USMC boot camp on Paris Island hahaha.

Looking back , I wouldn't try either now.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroesFall View Post
    Couple of years ago a chap, oh I can't remember what was his name climber Mount Everest without any oxygen . When he came down they asked him, why did you go up there to die? He said, "I didnt, I went up there to live."

Those who fly too close to the sun risk being burned as the wings of Icarus.

Smart folks make the decision to accept risk based reward. Less intelligent folks may not have the forethought but will still reap the same reward at the end.

Call it Darwinism, pride, or the desire to be more than you currently are. Some succeed and some fail. Most aren't remembered. So do for you and what makes you happy, but don't blame others if you don't get the results you expected.
    Good post and illustrates the real dilemma here.
    I often say, you'd never leave the house, if were only concerned with your safety.

In bodybuilding, there has to be some tipping point, where the risks don't make sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast