Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tricep tendon tear

Default Tricep tendon tear

So I've been having issues with my tricep got massage, took months off, had therapeutic ultrasounds, did prolotherapy. Now finally got an MRI, doctor's office called me and told me I need an urgent visit and the receptionist said it was a tear. Assuming not ruptured as I can still use it full ROM, some pain on certain angles and can't do a lot of tricep/chest exercises without pain.

Before the MRI we were discussing PRP and surgery.

Surgery scares me as I honestly have a feeling it could end up worse because right now I can train back, bis, legs and non pressing chest and shoulders without issue. If i end up not being able to do back it'll kill me. However, if they say there is a chance of a full rupture if I don't get it then I'll have to.

Anyone get a tricep tendon surgery? I understand recovery is long like 8 weeks of cast, then physio followed by strengthening. I can get my head around not benching 400+ again but I really can't by my head around not being able to train and dropping below 200lb and having like 15 inch arms... It's really a mind game

I had a complete tear of my right tri in 2011. It was screwed in to the bone the bone. I went to the gym after 3 day, benched 100 pounds after 3 weeks and was strong as ever after only 6 months. Could have been sooner but it took me that long to trust it. I had a partial tear on my left and the Dr. elected to not reattach it, I was messed up for over a year. The Dr. who did my reattachment said he would have done the partial tear...if I had only pushed for a second opinion. Good luck.

As far as the PT (Physio )...the therapist met with me one time and said there was nothing he could tell me that I didn't already know from 35 years of training.

Quote Originally Posted by swingslammer View Post
    I had a complete tear of my right tri in 2011. It was screwed in to the bone the bone. I went to the gym after 3 day, benched 100 pounds after 3 weeks and was strong as ever after only 6 months. Could have been sooner but it took me that long to trust it. I had a partial tear on my left and the Dr. elected to not reattach it, I was messed up for over a year. The Dr. who did my reattachment said he would have done the partial tear...if I had only pushed for a second opinion. Good luck.
    Thanks for the insight, i guess I'll find out more this week. But read some places of never regaining full ROM and strength which concerned me and also a lot of people talking about 12 month recovery.

Like I said I've come to terms with not being able to powerlift, I really wanted to get to a 500lb bench but literally every 10lb I put on something would go. But if I can switch to volume training I'd be happy

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk