Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metformin - Fountain of Youth or Muscle Destroyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Donflex View Post
    1 dose of 500mg metformin per day and I'm fine. 2 doses and it gives me the shits

The article said that Metformin reduces USABLE TESTOSTERONE output as well as GROWTH HORMONE output.

Have you noticed this in your use of this medication?

Have you loss muscle mass or have a hard time gaining any?

Have you had any other adverse side effects relating to Test/GH hormone drop or Metformin use?

I am just asking because the article mentioned such things, and I wonder if these effects are dose dependent...
    LIFE IS FOR LEARNING...LET THE FOOLS REMAIN STUPID

Metformin use won't matter at all for test or IGF levels in an enhanced athletes using AAS/gh. It's possible it can reduce IGF-1 conversion to a negligible degree in people taking exo gh, but I've seen not seen real data on that exact scenario. It lowers IGF-1 in natties which is one of its anti cancer effects (can't have your cake and eat it too).

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazin...-about/Page-01

I personally think it's a fantastic drug for health and longevity in anyone who power eats (all bodybuilders). Even more so when you play with GH most of the year and can become insulin resistant. Great for a cutting phase. If you're paranoid, don't use it bulking. Never seen anyone real world claim it hindered gains. Not sure why it's being demonized by uneducated posters.

Quote Originally Posted by HERCULES1X View Post
    The article said that Metformin reduces USABLE TESTOSTERONE output as well as GROWTH HORMONE output.

Have you noticed this in your use of this medication?

Have you loss muscle mass or have a hard time gaining any?

Have you had any other adverse side effects relating to Test/GH hormone drop or Metformin use?

I am just asking because the article mentioned such things, and I wonder if these effects are dose dependent...
    I take them a few times a week with carb heavy meals. I notice a much better pump in the gym and a fuller look in general. I've made natty size and strength gains whilst taking them.

Alters the way your liver and kidneys function, in the long run just beats them down faster. If you have a working system it can alter that and cause Chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    Why?

In rare cases where the diahrea continues, you shouldn't take it and the Doc will switch you to glyberide or something similar. If you are getting chronic diahrea you will not be absorb nutrients properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by HERCULES1X View Post
    Giles just said he had the shits for TWO YEARS...Can you define a "SHORT SIDE EFFECT"?

Diarrhea is serious as you become dehydrated, lose macro and micro nutrients as well as probiotics... all of which makes a person who is diabetic all the worst off...

Quote Originally Posted by Manowar View Post
    Alters the way your liver and kidneys function, in the long run just beats them down faster. If you have a working system it can alter that and cause Chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Wow, interesting.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

I just hated the constant stomach issues on it, horrid.

Worst thing when you're about to blow your beans and you think at that moment of 'release' "I'm gonna spray shit all over this bed, noooooo!!!" Not great.
    MD Muscle News Weekly Ep. 29- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfFHUMbUHI8

Lol wut. Not accurate. I don't care if you're a nurse, you're a retard, clearly. Plenty of dipshit nurses. Stop spreading misinformation. I'd love to read your paper haha...

Cite one study or piece of literature reporting or backing up your allegation.

Little Guy

This is very false. There is a lot of research that shows metformin does no damage to the kidneys. Other drugs that people are often on such as Ace inhibitors and beta blockers have much more negative effects on kidneys that metformin is often blamed for. This along with the fact that having diabetes often leads to renal issues for many physiological reasons also is why metformin is blamed. As for the liver I have never seen metformin cause issues. If anything there are benefits to the liver. Minimal research on this as well. Those two statements are wrong.

A healthy individual with good diet and hydration habits should see minimal if any kidney repercussions.

I believe with an enormous amount of research that it is safe and if you're on a good dose of test you'll be fine

Someone says "metformin" and all the pill poppers come out of the woodwork
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

No idea.... Chronic fatigue? Did you just make that up? "Beats them down" lol....

metformin reduces liver gluconeogenisis (glucose production within the liver), increases insulin sensitivity and binds some other cellular pathways, in ways not well understood, that may be linked to aging and are independent of the established link of elevated insulin and blood glucose levels and accelerated age related disease, as is seen in type two diabetics.

There is a study underway called TAME (targeted aging with metformin) that is looking at metformin's ability to reduce age related disease in the elderly. Metformin is associated with substantially better outcomes in type two diabetics compared to alternate treatments like the Sulfonylureas. Metformin is safe in terms of serious sides (does not "beat them down" lol), there was an overhyped side called lactic acidosis, which can be fatal, that prevented FDA approval of metformin in the US for decades (at a substantial health cost to US type two diabetics) when in reality lactic acidosis only occurs in individuals who already have Kidney disease.

This 100%

Quote Originally Posted by kaizenro View Post
    I highly recommend the nutritional analysis! I think perhaps bodybuilders get so locked into only a handful of foods that they become deficient. And maybe not going outside enough too.

Metformin is the most legitimate, studied, trial tested, safe longevity drug out there right now. That's just fact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12