Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Ketogenic Diet - The Good, Bad & Ugly

Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    Since I have been doing keto, I get no cravings for carbs and I am almost never hungry, it's weird
    Maybe I need to up my fats more...or eat even more veggies! I definitely feel I need some carbs as I have a super fast metabolism, so not going full ketogenic just yet.

Paleo diet/keto combined with intermittent fasting = gold.
    Never hungry !

I would want to go keto but i eat too much veggies.

Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by macmac View Post
    I would want to go keto but i eat too much veggies.
    I wouldn't cut back on the veggies from a health perspective though.

Quote Originally Posted by jags93 View Post
    I wouldn't cut back on the veggies from a health perspective though.
    Yes indeed. That's my main reason.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac View Post
    Paleo diet/keto combined with intermittent fasting = gold.
    Never hungry !
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Quote Originally Posted by jags93 View Post
    From a purely health perspective, low carb diets are clearly better for most people. I am reading a book called "Eat Fat get thin" now by Dr Mark Hyman. Not sure if you've heard of it? Clearly it's not aimed at bodybuilders but I feel most of us would benefit from eating a high amount of healthy fats. There is a lot of evidence to show that it's the refined carbs/sugars that are causing long term health issues. I eat hardly any gluten, so just need to stop the sugar binges now!
    100%.

There are only a couple reasons I can argue for high intake of carbs. The first being calories. Once a person gets to a certain size, it becomes difficult to create a caloric excess or even meet basal demands in some cases. Of course, this point has nothing to do with health! Second, I do feel that periodic carb intake does help to stimulate metabolism..if you're a paleo follower I suppose this is easily accomplished with some sweet potato and or fruit. The ONE thing I find tough about going full keto is that if/when a person goes back to regularly consuming starches, the digestive issues are BAD; lots of gas and bloating. I assume this is from a lack of enzyme production. Otherwise, I thin keto/low carb diets are great and really most ideal for health.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani View Post
    100%.

There are only a couple reasons I can argue for high intake of carbs. The first being calories. Once a person gets to a certain size, it becomes difficult to create a caloric excess or even meet basal demands in some cases. Of course, this point has nothing to do with health! Second, I do feel that periodic carb intake does help to stimulate metabolism..if you're a paleo follower I suppose this is easily accomplished with some sweet potato and or fruit. The ONE thing I find tough about going full keto is that if/when a person goes back to regularly consuming starches, the digestive issues are BAD; lots of gas and bloating. I assume this is from a lack of enzyme production. Otherwise, I thin keto/low carb diets are great and really most ideal for health.
    There are two other reasons:

- Enjoy, pleasure or hedonism.
    - Load to fill the muscle before a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    There are two other reasons:

- Enjoy, pleasure or hedonism.
    - Load to fill the muscle before a competition.
    Hahahahahaha hedonism is a valid point. Loading to fill before a comp is exactly what I meant when I talked about losing the ability to digest carbs well after a long period of time/enzyme insufficiency. I should have expanded on my point. The times I used keto for shows I stayed decently full and got in great shape relatively easy but carb loading was impossible!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Since I have been doing keto, I get no cravings for carbs and I am almost never hungry, it's weird
    nope, not weird, pretty normal. One of the main reasons I love it. Like Mark Bell said in one of his videos "when I diet WITH carbs, I tend to make bad decisions."
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

100%.

I learned about keto diets initially form Palumbo. The reason for his weekly cheat meals (after initial 2 weeks) is to kick up metabolism. I tend to agree. I think if you are even bigger than average you may even get away with one every 4-5 days depending on how far out you are etc.
    I also tend to think that when MOST people stop keto, they just go nuts and stomach issues are magnified. If they just eased back in a bit I think most of that would be eliminated. Say 40g after training for a week. Then maybe another 40g pre training for a week. Third week add in another 40 at breakfast, etc. In 3 short weeks you're back over 120g with ease and probably no issues. IMO of course.

Hahahahahaha hedonism is a valid point. Loading to fill before a comp is exactly what I meant when I talked about losing the ability to digest carbs well after a long period of time/enzyme insufficiency. I should have expanded on my point. The times I used keto for shows I stayed decently full and got in great shape relatively easy but carb loading was impossible!

But what about fat loading before the show since carbs have been virtually eliminated? You would completely avoid any type of "spill over" since the fat wouldn't convert into glucose and not cause any type of distention/digestion issue, sure you could potentially come in flat I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by Bully God View Post
    But what about fat loading before the show since carbs have been virtually eliminated? You would completely avoid any type of "spill over" since the fat wouldn't convert into glucose and not cause any type of distention/digestion issue, sure you could potentially come in flat I suppose...
    Sounds good in theory. Never tried it but I think the IDEAL scenario would be to load on a balanced amount of both carbs and fats.

Sounds good in theory. Never tried it but I think the IDEAL scenario would be to load on a balanced amount of both carbs and fats.

From what I understand... correct, since there is both intramuscular fat and carb stores. Like you said though where most would run into trouble is knowing what and how many carbs the body would handle after NOT having them for an extended period.

Evan, maybe you would have some insight onto this topic:
    So "real keto" diets are supposed to be lower in protein so that it does not convert to glucose and get burned as fuel thus bumping your system out of ketosis.
    However, since iron sport athletes are not average (more muscle, activity, etc.), how true would that really be? Assuming one trains heavy straight sets in the 5-8 rep range, cardio at a HR of 120 or less would a protein rate of around 1-1.5g per pound of body weight not support muscle tissue? If you are not demanding quick energy from the body and fats can supply the fuel it would have no reason to start converting protein even if there were a bit "extra".
    Now if you do very high rep work or super sets or drop sets and your cardio is at greater than a 120hr, then the body needs fuel faster than fats will convert to energy and I can see the breakdown of protein for more fuel. BUT even that said, once that demand stops and the energy requirement is reduced to such a level that fats can supply it, wouldn't the body stop converting protein since it would be easier to use the fats?
    Something I've been mulling over for a bit. Curious on your opinion.

Youre brain stops taking sugar from your blood so no crashes.
    I feel pretty good on it too so long I take enough fats.

For decades, ketogenic diets have been used in the treatment of epilepsy, obesity, diabetes, blood lipid enhancement, blood pressure reduction and prevention of metabolic syndrome. Now, is discovering its potential to prevent and reduce cancer.

Effects of a ketogenic diet on tumor metabolism and nutritional status in pediatric oncology patients: two case reports.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7790697

Targeting insulin inhibition as a metabolic therapy in advanced cancer: a pilot safety and feasibility dietary trial in 10 patients.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22840388

100%.

Evan, what are your thoughts on IIFYM and that statement that the type of food doesn't matter? Just the calories. So, poptarts are just dandy if it fits your macros. I personally think that is crap and it also depends on the person and how they as an individual react to carbs, dairy, etc.
    Cyberpump! - The Home of High Intensity Training (HIT) - http://www.cyberpump.com

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast