Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Ketogenic Diet - The Good, Bad & Ugly

B boy-

Give us an idea of your daily meals? I know its hard for us bodybuilders to do a truly keto diet lowering the protein that much so it may be helpful to us to see how you are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
    Energy is great I have been doing keto for about 3 months but it was bodybuilding styles with too much protein because I was thinking like a meathead. Been on a true ketogenic diet and fasting for 3 weeKS now and I feel truly amazing. I don't do refeeds and never will again. My body is so adapted now that I can easily store glucose from the trace carbs in veggies and nuts. My workout partner is on about 400 grams of carbs daily and I'm kicking his ass on leg day..LOL ...FUCK CARBS. :-)
    You have gone full Eskimo! Would love to try keto in this way, but I know I'd struggle with meals if I'm out all day

1:00 pm - bullet proof coffee with 20 grams of grass fed butter and 20 grams of coconut oil
    3:00 - train legs, left arm, calves, and side lateral machine on mon, wed, fri. On tue, thurs, sat. Do 15 min of HIT cardio
    4:00-4:30 - post workout shake of 25 grams whey isolate, 1 cup of almond milk unsweetened, 45 grams of raw kale, 45 grams of raw broccoli, 1 oz of walnuts and 1 tbls. Olive oil
    7:00pm - 4 whole eggs scrambled in grass fed butter with cheese and veggies, 1 can of sardines in spring water, 1 oz of almonds
    9:00 - very large salid with 6 oz of wild caught salmon on it, olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing, 3 turkey balls (made like meatballs). Usually this is all I have some days more some days more food in form of fat.
    IFBB PRO Brad Davis

Wow. Seems crazy you can maintain your size with that diet.

How much fat is that? wouldnt you want to be over 200 grams, seems like you are at 1-140 something.

Quote Originally Posted by Donflex View Post
    I thought the same thing, especially how low his protein is.

I'm very non active right now, I sit in a recliner chair all day exxept my little gym time. I'm recovering from surgery and on TRT dosage. No need for a lot of calories.

Remember I said some days are higher calories like around 3000
    IFBB PRO Brad Davis

Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
    I'm a firm believer in keto now, I will eat this way probably for the rest of my life. I'm cure entry 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. I eat a fuck ton of veggies especially ones high in vitamin C. I'm laid up right now recovering from surgery to attach my torn tricep (tore it from the inner elbow). I'm also doing intermittent fasting for 16-20 hours daily then eat 2-3 very large meals with some bullet proof coffee here and there. I have never felt this good in my 45 yrs of being on this earth, brain is on super fuel and it's amazing to be fully fat adapted, hard getting there but we'll worth it.
    this is great stuff. I eat for general health and not bodybuilding so have different goals but the principles are the same. Fat gives us so much more energy. I am a big believer in bulletproof coffee....great for ketones and keeping you full, but again don't have it every day. As my metabolism is crazy fast I am more paleo than keto as I need carbs - but all gluten free oats, sweet potatoes, parsnips and a ton of starchy vegetables! It's amazing how good you feel mentally and physically. I'm 38 and feel 25. Keep going big man.

Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Donflex View Post
    You don't need loads of protein to maintain mass.

By keeping fat high it's also easier to go lower carbs. I'm reading 'Wired to Eat' buy Robb Wolf, which is basically a Paleo diet and personalised nutrition. He recommends seeing how all carb sources affect your blood sugar levels. It's crazy how one person can eat something like rice and their blood sugar doesn't change, whilst another person's can go sky high to almost diabetic levels.

Banned

I have never understood why a "fat loading" before a show would work? Anyone familiar with this?

As for keto dieting, it is highly effective for competition purpose. But carbs tastes extremely good.

Quote Originally Posted by jags93 View Post

By keeping fat high it's also easier to go lower carbs. I'm reading 'Wired to Eat' buy Robb Wolf, which is basically a Paleo diet and personalised nutrition. He recommends seeing how all carb sources affect your blood sugar levels. It's crazy how one person can eat something like rice and their blood sugar doesn't change, whilst another person's can go sky high to almost diabetic levels.
    Thanks for the info, Jags. Food for thought (no pun intended).

Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    Thanks for the info, Jags. Food for thought (no pun intended).
    Nice pun! I'm looking at it from a general health perspectives but no reason it can't be applied to bodybuilding as b-boy has showed.

Quote Originally Posted by jags93 View Post

Does he talk about intermittent fasting in the book?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by macmac View Post
    Does he talk about intermittent fasting in the book?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk
    yes briefly....Paleo is the first step and then keto/intermittent fasting. He feels it has benefits when done occasionally, which I agree with. It takes a while to get fat adapted. For the average American to go from their standard die to keto would be a huge shock for them.

The problem I often have with my keto dieting is eating too much protien and kicking myself out of ketosis. I even bought a glucose meter and keto testing strips. You really have to lower it some to be on a true 70% fat diet. That's the challenging part to me, so used to more protien. I can avoid carbs no problem but my protein creeps up and bumps me out more often then it should. Going low protien is so counterintuitive...

B-boy how did you overcome this?

Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Bro View Post
    The problem I often have with my keto dieting is eating too much protien and kicking myself out of ketosis. I even bought a glucose meter and keto testing strips. You really have to lower it some to be on a true 70% fat diet. That's the challenging part to me, so used to more protien. I can avoid carbs no problem but my protein creeps up and bumps me out more often then it should. Going low protien is so counterintuitive...

B-boy how did you overcome this?
    fasting really helped this, after the third day of fasting for 16 hours, I just wasn't as hungry, which made it a lot easier to not eat as much protein.
    Good sources of info ....got to youtube and subscribe to "high intensity health" he inter views a lot of great minds like dr. Dom, dr. Fung, Jeff Volek, and tons of other people. Great info on keto adaptation and intermittent fasting.
    IFBB PRO Brad Davis

Fred, do you plan on continuing keto after your injury?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast