Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Ketogenic Diet - The Good, Bad & Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by majrminer View Post
    Agree, but if you have a fast metabolism, protein, vegetables and fat alone won't put size on. Aging individuals with slowing metabolism will see great benefit from carb reduction in many ways, but also flatter muscles

These people who claim they don't lose fullness on keto are batty. They may adapt to it, but will never have maximal glycogen load
    Well, for once agree with you. At age 54 I definitely look flat at low-to-no carbs. However, I still eat relatively low carb for health reasons and mental focus.

I am in the last 8 weeks till my show. On the 8 week mark is where i drastically lower my carbs and up my good fats. I have no issues with this. The good fats keep my nice and full and I have energy. I like to keep my calories consistent as to not lose valuable lean muscle tissue. Last year I went no carbs and no fats and I was fucked and it was terrible and stupid. That was the last time i listened to someone else for my prep. I did this whole prep on my own and I feel I look better than ever.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    Well, for once agree with you. At age 54 I definitely look flat at low-to-no carbs. However, I still eat relatively low carb for health reasons and mental focus.
    For years, eating over 400g carbs per day, I began wondering why I couldn't focus. Seriously. I felt dumb. Part of me knew the carbs were to blame, but my inexperience with anything lower carb blinded my knowledge. The focus on lower carb higher fat is fantastic, and you don't feel as drowsy. Great for studying or work environments, but at the same time I believe higher carbs blunts some stress and allows better sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    I am in the last 8 weeks till my show. On the 8 week mark is where i drastically lower my carbs and up my good fats. I have no issues with this. The good fats keep my nice and full and I have energy. I like to keep my calories consistent as to not lose valuable lean muscle tissue. Last year I went no carbs and no fats and I was fucked and it was terrible and stupid. That was the last time i listened to someone else for my prep. I did this whole prep on my own and I feel I look better than ever.
    Any BCAA between meals? If you aren't going true keto, I'd go for 5 to 10g BCAA 3x per day between low carb meals. I guess a lot of guys will say BCAA doesn't do much for them if their protein is where it should be, but as an ectomorph it seriously helps me maintain muscle when my calorie expenditure goes way up
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

For years, eating over 400g carbs per day, I began wondering why I couldn't focus. Seriously. I felt dumb. Part of me knew the carbs were to blame, but my inexperience with anything lower carb blinded my knowledge. The focus on lower carb higher fat is fantastic, and you don't feel as drowsy. Great for studying or work environments, but at the same time I believe higher carbs blunts some stress and allows better sleep

Agree with this. When I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, then 30 grams of carbs and some whey and I'm out like a light.

Quote Originally Posted by Donflex View Post
    Agree with this. When I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, then 30 grams of carbs and some whey and I'm out like a light.
    This experiential knowledge applied to many different people, ages, ethnicities, metabolisms, etcetera, helped my clients in far more than just training... Though things like fixing broken sleep patterns allowed them to break a vicious cycle of cortisol and whacky hormones in order to live a less stressful, more happy, more well rested lifestyle. And thus, the results not only came, but compounded quickly. It was as if they said, how did this happen?

The sad part is, not only do most people not know this can happen with proper nutrition and exercise modification, but that is something most people need someone to manage for them. Most people who stop working with a trainer simply go back to old habits, and realize a year or two down the road that their trainer was correct - you really do feel better when you sleep more, exercise, eat right and stop partying and eating like an emotional cow. The two lifestyles couldn't be more different, but this is what most clients go through. A small percentage will actually utilize pieces of knowledge for the rest of their lives, but once stress pops up they resort to the old friend alcohol and think, "one or two won't hurt"... Followed by cream cheese filled finger foods... And then they're back to miserable
    BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

QFT!!

You may have less sleep in a keto, I think that's a good thing as long as you feel rested.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

I really like this thread !!

Any BCAA between meals? If you aren't going true keto, I'd go for 5 to 10g BCAA 3x per day between low carb meals. I guess a lot of guys will say BCAA doesn't do much for them if their protein is where it should be, but as an ectomorph it seriously helps me maintain muscle when my calorie expenditure goes way up
    That sounds good and can only help. I will give that a shot and in a couple weeks come back and report.
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Juggernaut

[QUOTE=majrminer;4245615]For years, eating over 400g carbs per day, I began wondering why I couldn't focus. Seriously. I felt dumb. Part of me knew the carbs were to blame, but my inexperience with anything lower carb blinded my knowledge. The focus on lower carb higher fat is fantastic, and you don't feel as drowsy. Great for studying or work environments, but at the same time I believe higher carbs blunts some stress and allows better sleep

Yes too many carbs just make you lethargic (and fat!). Given the amount of carbs that a lot of pros eat, I'm surprised more of them aren't diabetic...

[QUOTE=jags93;4245905]

Yes too many carbs just make you lethargic (and fat!). Given the amount of carbs that a lot of pros eat, I'm surprised more of them aren't diabetic...
    Yet.

Juggernaut

[QUOTE=IRON DWARF;4245934]
    Quote Originally Posted by jags93 View Post

Yet.
    Yes it takes time...

Quote Originally Posted by IRON DWARF View Post
    I look flat on zero carbs. Need to keep salt intake higher on low and zero carb plans.
    you dont look flat with zero carbs! just in the beginning when the body adapts. after that you can look very full with absolutely NO carbs. if you look flat just up your fats thats all you have to do.

I think or rather I hope keto works better once we're a little older and our metabolism slows down. Tried it in my early 20's and it didn't go so well as I lost a lot muscle fast! I can hold size much easier now so it might be worth giving it another go. Appreciate all the info in this thread, particularly your posts bboy
    you just did not eat enough fat! you can put much more calories in you with much less food volume, without getting any bloat. if you lose muscle on keto you do something wrong. if you have a very fast metabolism keto is perfect . its a pain in the ass , trying to get enough calories in if you eat healthy carbs like rice. if i want 700 more calories i just eat 100 gramms of nuts. thats nothing , try that with rice... most guys who say they get big with carbs "forget" the fact that they dont eat clean all the time but lots of junk too in order to get enough calories to grow.

i few nuts would do the trick too. plus you dont have blood sugar drops on keto. those drops are the reason you THINK you need carbs in the middle of the night. if you eat enough calories you never have blood sugar drops like those that keeps you awake at night on a carb based diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Wedge View Post
    I just recently got into Low carb dieting and more specifically "loose paleo" because I still have fruits and some sweet potatoes here and there around workouts and I love it. So much less sluggish and definitely less bloated. This thread is full of really cool information and I want to transition into keto dieting eventually. Never stop exploring
    Just updating as its been about a month of low (50-75 grams max on workout days IF that) or no carb dieting aside from a weekly "balls out fuck everything idgaf cheat meal" and I'm down like...10 lbs? Feel awesome, love the way I look, and performance is up HUGE (I crossfit when I'm not prepping for shows)

Quote Originally Posted by modredtrenton View Post
    you just did not eat enough fat! you can put much more calories in you with much less food volume, without getting any bloat. if you lose muscle on keto you do something wrong. if you have a very fast metabolism keto is perfect . its a pain in the ass , trying to get enough calories in if you eat healthy carbs like rice. if i want 700 more calories i just eat 100 gramms of nuts. thats nothing , try that with rice... most guys who say they get big with carbs "forget" the fact that they dont eat clean all the time but lots of junk too in order to get enough calories to grow.
    I can eat mountains of rice easily. It was my staple food growing up and eating 200 or 300garms per sitting was normal for me as a kid. Eating enough for me isn't a problem. Cooking and meal prep all the time is.

You maybe right though, my fat intake was probably too low at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by modredtrenton View Post
    i few nuts would do the trick too. plus you dont have blood sugar drops on keto. those drops are the reason you THINK you need carbs in the middle of the night. if you eat enough calories you never have blood sugar drops like those that keeps you awake at night on a carb based diet.
    I'm just waiting for a shoulder injury to fully heal and to get my strength back up and then I'll get into a keto diet. Training with less food sitting inside me is definitely something I know I'll enjoy. Thanks for the input Mod

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast