Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 29

Thread: Arnold Classic Drug Testing - Shawn Ray Unleashed Episode 16

  1. #1
    Administrator Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    noisserped
    Posts
    17,617
    Gender
    Male

    Default Arnold Classic Drug Testing - Shawn Ray Unleashed Episode 16


  2. #2
    Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In Da Gym
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Shawn, why do you think the drug test was just enforced for those couple of years? Why do you think it has faded shortly after? I know that Jay Cutler had failed that one year and still got to keep his earnings. Do you feel that the drug test should still be enforced right before a competition?
    Knock The Lights Off Baby, Im Bulking

  3. #3
    IFBB Hall of Fame Shawn Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    23,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawtbutseckz:) View Post
    Shawn, why do you think the drug test was just enforced for those couple of years? Why do you think it has faded shortly after? I know that Jay Cutler had failed that one year and still got to keep his earnings. Do you feel that the drug test should still be enforced right before a competition?
    The Drug Test for Steroids was only 1 year not a couple.
    They were losing a lot of athletes to the Positive Tests.
    It would be a matter of time before they lost all the top guys effectively killing the sport.

    Jay failed the Diuretic Test 11 years later. IFBB Vice President, Wayne DeMilia was in charge then and let it slide stating the company they hired had an Expired License for Testing and All results were thrown out after Jay threatened to A Law Suit!

    Getting test results back before the contest only satisfied the pay customers who wouldn't get told different results like my Arnold Victory a week after they got home.

    After my results came back I was like.....



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Holiday, Florida
    Posts
    66,221

    Default

    Didnt Mike Christian beat the test at the Arnold and O?
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    You had to be there
    Posts
    10,574
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I though they tested them for steroid. If the concentration was too low you were DQed.

  6. #6
    Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ciy Hall
    Posts
    22,760
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Shawn do you think drugs have become too big of s focus in bodybuilding ad opposed to genetics and nutrition?

  7. #7
    IFBB Hall of Fame Shawn Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    23,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Didnt Mike Christian beat the test at the Arnold and O?
    Everyone to this day believes Mike beat the drug test at the 90 Mr Olympia but not many talked about him at the Arnold Classic that year where he placed 3rd.

  8. #8
    IFBB Hall of Fame Shawn Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    23,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
    Shawn do you think drugs have become too big of s focus in bodybuilding ad opposed to genetics and nutrition?
    I think Drugs have been given too much credit for success and too much attention for failure.

    Regardless, I've always said I personally believe the problem lies with the "Gurus" taking Money from the Athletes who "Dumb themselves Down" by not learning their own bodies, how to train & diet or which drugs do what for them before paying someone who doesn't know their bodies Money to guide them in god only knows what direction.
    Their work is never truly theirs because they let other hands draw the picture of what they think they should look like instead of crafting their own image themselves.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    IFBB Hall of Fame Shawn Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    23,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINic View Post
    I though they tested them for steroid. If the concentration was too low you were DQed.
    They did test for steroids in 1990 only.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,511

    Default

    I remember the big banner inside Gold's Gym in Fullerton in 1991 congratulating Shawn for coming back to the Arnold in 1991 and blowing it away. Those were happy days for the OC bodybuilders!
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  11. #11
    Mass Monster Peter McGough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,281
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ray View Post
    I think Drugs have been given too much credit for success and too much attention for failure.

    Regardless, I've always said I personally believe the problem lies with the "Gurus" taking Money from the Athletes who "Dumb themselves Down" by not learning their own bodies, how to train & diet or which drugs do what for them before paying someone who doesn't know their bodies Money to guide them in god only knows what direction.
    Their work is never truly theirs because they let other hands draw the picture of what they think they should look like instead of crafting their own image themselves.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You nailed it Shawn.

  12. #12
    Mass Monster Peter McGough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,281
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    The other factor that came into play and scuppered drug testing was the entrance of WWE chief Vince McMahon into the bodybuilding landscape. After saying they were only interested in starting a magazine, Bodybuilding Lifestyles, they as the 1990 Olympia concluded started handing out promotional material for a new federation, the World Bodybuilding Federation (WBF). They signed 13 top IFBB athletes Aaron Baker, Mike Christian, Vince Comerford, David Dearth, Berry DeMey, Johnnie Morant, Danny Padilla, Tony Pearson, Jim Quinn, Mike Quinn, Eddie Robinson, Gary Strydom, and Troy Zuccolotto. That development, plus the fact that most of the guys who competed at the 1990 Olympia were not at their best due to having to pass the drug test, stopped IFBB drug testing in its tracks. Mike Christian was one of the few who was near his best and he proclaimed a solution called Depends (no not what you’re thinking) helped him pass the test.
    For more on WBF click n http://musculardevelopment.com/news/...l#.WIzMB4UyGVo

  13. #13
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,511

    Default

    I think the product was called 'Defend,' and I want to say the late Dan Duchaine produced it.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  14. #14
    Barbarian Cyberpump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    737
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ray View Post
    I think Drugs have been given too much credit for success and too much attention for failure.

    Regardless, I've always said I personally believe the problem lies with the "Gurus" taking Money from the Athletes who "Dumb themselves Down" by not learning their own bodies, how to train & diet or which drugs do what for them before paying someone who doesn't know their bodies Money to guide them in god only knows what direction.
    Their work is never truly theirs because they let other hands draw the picture of what they think they should look like instead of crafting their own image themselves.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really notice in videos today where the bodybuilder keeps saying "we." What?
    Cyberpump! - The Home of High Intensity Training (HIT) - http://www.cyberpump.com

  15. #15
    Mass Monster Peter McGough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,281
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I think the product was called 'Defend,' and I want to say the late Dan Duchaine produced it.
    Oops a Freudian slip on my part.

  16. #16
    Freak of Nature a.j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    tigerstaden. Oslo Norway
    Posts
    15,030
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    The other factor that came into play and scuppered drug testing was the entrance of WWE chief Vince McMahon into the bodybuilding landscape. After saying they were only interested in starting a magazine, Bodybuilding Lifestyles, they as the 1990 Olympia concluded started handing out promotional material for a new federation, the World Bodybuilding Federation (WBF). They signed 13 top IFBB athletes Aaron Baker, Mike Christian, Vince Comerford, David Dearth, Berry DeMey, Johnnie Morant, Danny Padilla, Tony Pearson, Jim Quinn, Mike Quinn, Eddie Robinson, Gary Strydom, and Troy Zuccolotto. That development, plus the fact that most of the guys who competed at the 1990 Olympia were not at their best due to having to pass the drug test, stopped IFBB drug testing in its tracks. Mike Christian was one of the few who was near his best and he proclaimed a solution called Depends (no not what you’re thinking) helped him pass the test.
    For more on WBF click n http://musculardevelopment.com/news/...l#.WIzMB4UyGVo
    After watching bodybuilding closely these last years whAT A EPIC SHAME VINCE MCMANN federation did not work out.-
    He payed the bodybuilders good money,he could promoted them, he could have put them on tv,shows,movies etch..
    He loves bodybuilding and what a shame he is not promoting it,,..Modern day bodybuilding is dead ,and bikini and mens phsqyue is rising ---
    The way it is today you wont see men open bodybuilding much longer ...
    I really wished vince would have been successful because today climate is SHIIIIIIT
    Unknown.jpg
    A white Toney Freeman would have 10 Olympias. If I could look like anyone I'd want to look like a prime Toney Freeman

  17. #17
    Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ciy Hall
    Posts
    22,760
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ray View Post
    I think Drugs have been given too much credit for success and too much attention for failure.

    Regardless, I've always said I personally believe the problem lies with the "Gurus" taking Money from the Athletes who "Dumb themselves Down" by not learning their own bodies, how to train & diet or which drugs do what for them before paying someone who doesn't know their bodies Money to guide them in god only knows what direction.
    Their work is never truly theirs because they let other hands draw the picture of what they think they should look like instead of crafting their own image themselves.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the great answer as usual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •